Author: Subject: Missing Yucca Plants
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-2-2018 at 04:20 PM

John....ever read the Monkey Wrench Gang???......a classic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monkey_Wrench_Gang

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
A little late now, but maybe they can find these scumbag's dozer and disable it. John
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-2-2018 at 04:34 PM

I stopped on the way out of Mike's at the area I think was the old landing strip. I'm not really sure cause it did not look like the satellite view I expected. Of course, neither did the arroyo.

There were some signs saying it was a natural area under restoration, not sure the exact wording. So, some environmental attention has been on this area. Maybe I should contact someone? A little late now, but maybe they can find these scumbag's dozer and disable it.

John

Mike's first airstrip was to the south, at Los Encinos, it was crooked!

Mike's New Runway was to the north, along the road to Hwy. 3...

Once the government mandated the military at all airports and required great sums of money from airport owners, Mike closed the airport. Nearly all of his business was no longer flying in, anyway. Still called a "Sky Ranch" however.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-2-2018 at 05:43 PM

I stopped on the way out of Mike's at the area I think was the old landing strip. I'm not really sure cause it did not look like the satellite view I expected. Of course, neither did the arroyo.

There were some signs saying it was a natural area under restoration, not sure the exact wording. So, some environmental attention has been on this area. Maybe I should contact someone? A little late now, but maybe they can find these scumbag's dozer and disable it.

John
There all on the take just trace the money they look the other way.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2018 at 05:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

John

Mike's first airstrip was to the south, at Los Encinos, it was crooked!

Mike's New Runway was to the north, along the road to Hwy. 3...

Once the government mandated the military at all airports and required great sums of money from airport owners, Mike closed the airport. Nearly all of his business was no longer flying in, anyway. Still called a "Sky Ranch" however.

David, that's exactly where I stopped, perhaps I didn't walk east enough, or it's well overgrown now.

John
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2018 at 08:07 AM

Which one John, I showed both airstrips Mike's Sky Rancho used? The second (lower) one (above) is 6 miles north of the rancho, alongside the road to Hwy. 3.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2018 at 02:05 PM

I stopped at where I thought the north airstrip was located on our way out of Mike's. I noticed it on Google maps but it looked different than I expected.

We just hiked, camped, and fished from Mike's up to Rancho Garate (Las Truchas) then hoofed it down the road back to Mike's for a much needed cold Pacifico late in the day. That's when I saw all new roads cut.

John

[Edited on 5-3-2018 by John Harper]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2018 at 02:33 PM

10-4, the New (in 1985) airport, north of Mike's.

The road south from Mike's to El Coyote and Meling's is really for trail bikes and rock crawler 4x4s, maybe. Too bad, as it sure makes for a nice loop drive if they run a dozer over it again. Have done that road many times, in the past (2005, 1978, 1974, 1972).

2005 Trip; photos and road log: http://vivabaja.com/905/

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2018 at 03:31 PM

10-4, the New (in 1985) airport, north of Mike's.

The road south from Mike's to El Coyote and Meling's is really for trail bikes and rock crawler 4x4s, maybe. Too bad, as it sure makes for a nice loop drive if they run a dozer over it again. Have done that road many times, in the past (2005, 1978, 1974, 1972).

2005 Trip; photos and road log: http://vivabaja.com/905/

Yes, some pretty rough spots, especially near the upper creek crossing, looks like an almost vertical drop, easy rollover spot. My buddy who was with me has a lifted 4WD Tacoma back home and he said he would not do that road. Dirt bike, no problem. I may even bring one out next year to ferry a few bags of trash back to Mike's. The arroyo had several bad spots of diapers, beer bottles, and cans. So sad.

Personally, the less people up that road the better for the arroyo, and the rare trout. They're barely hanging on now. Glad there's another way to El Coyote.

John

[Edited on 5-3-2018 by John Harper]
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2018 at 05:51 PM

HAAA that route Ed Hall went a short ways in his Jeep smart man turned went back. On dirt bike good rider yes fun weak rider hand full. From that road there is a old road going up to Forest just about 4 /5 miles above park office. For last 25 years that I Know only passable on Moto very hard route need skilled riders. Your can not come out on paved road up in park as of many years ago. Still fun to ride up the views unreal go back the way you came. Maybe you have the route on one of your Maps David. The road was destroyed by flood in late 70s or early 80s. For any hikers would also be great route. Don't know where you would go at bottom walking. Spend the night at Mikes then walk back next day.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2018 at 10:44 AM

The 2018 Trail of Missions tour (Ford Raptors mostly) ran the road out of Mike's to Meling and showed it on their TV special last Sunday... They needed spotters in one section and a lot of scratched rocks from dragging the underside of the trucks over this road.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-25-2018 at 11:12 AM

Wow....I had scroll back up to see who posted this...gotta say Bajaguy...you were the last guy I would have imagined...hahahaha...:lol:

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
John....ever read the Monkey Wrench Gang???......a classic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monkey_Wrench_Gang

those yucca trunks are also used in bird cages for nesting. They rot away pretty quick so I think its OK to use them and if cut right, the baby offshoot plants continue on....and lets not forget they were used as Xmas trees in our area....the top part with the branches.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 10-25-2018 at 12:28 PM

What hypocrisy, about some Nomads, crying about some Yucca threes being cut down, and are not even on any kind of endangered list.

Oh but when a Mexican, environmental group, complains, about the Baja 1000, charging courses and trampling on protected areas of Valle de los Cirious, and El Vizcaino, and actually destroying endangered plants, and doing all kinds of other damages, that's OK, and just Mexico, trying to get bribes from the American sponsors of the race.

The American bias is many times unhinged on this Baja site.

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-25-2018 at 05:31 PM

The 2018 Trail of Missions tour (Ford Raptors mostly) ran the road out of Mike's to Meling and showed it on their TV special last Sunday... They needed spotters in one section and a lot of scratched rocks from dragging the underside of the trucks over this road.

That didnt look to me like the road to dark skies that Larry is talking about. It looked like the road directly behind Mike's headed towards coyote. Better get us a map. Lol. Or email Cameron and ask him.
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2018 at 07:41 PM

If SCORE was behind it it's ok because they bring so much to Baja😉
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2018 at 08:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

That didnt look to me like the road to dark skies that Larry is talking about. It looked like the road directly behind Mike's headed towards coyote. Better get us a map. Lol. Or email Cameron and ask him.

Larry's post from last May?
I wasn't responding to it Ed, I just wanted to mention the normal south road was on the Trail of Missions show... It is the most direct road to Rancho Meling from Mike's and yes, it goes right by El Coyote. I was on it last year, but I had my rear brake failure about 3-4 miles from El Coyote heading to Mike's, so I turned around and limped back. Larry was there with a group of riders. So, between his advice, his vise grip pliers, and some rubber tube from Michael Diogo, I could get home.

ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2018 at 08:13 PM

Thanks buddy. Got it.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2018 at 10:17 AM

Ed the road to Dark Skies is to the left when you cross the water going into Mike's from Highway 3. It's about 6 miles to a junction where you turn left and follow that to Dark Skies for about another 5 or 6 miles.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2018 at 10:28 AM

‘Harvesting’ the landscape - outrageous.
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2018 at 11:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

Ed the road to Dark Skies is to the left when you cross the water going into Mike's from Highway 3. It's about 6 miles to a junction where you turn left and follow that to Dark Skies for about another 5 or 6 miles.

Yep. Took it a couple miles back to an off camber spot that was completely washed out. Maybe a foot or so of road left next to the cliff. Had to back up a 1/4 mile to turn around.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2018 at 04:15 PM

Don't need to worry anymore the yacca rapers have put another 25 roads in
Just below the park what a mess . We saw all on our Moto ride.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.