Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Missing Yucca Plants
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2018 at 05:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Don't need to worry anymore the yacca rapers have put another 25 roads in
Just below the park what a mess . We saw all on our Moto ride.

And to think I just read a big article in the LA Times today on how Mexico has done such a fantastic job with the sea turtles.

Since you can easily grow these plants commercially, it's even sadder that wiping out native populations continue. Not to mention the visual blight of access roads left behind, at least until the next big fires. The roads I saw upstream from Mike's mostly flattened down the chaparral, at least that can grow back eventually. Still, pretty flocked up.

John

[Edited on 10-27-2018 by John Harper]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-26-2018 at 05:54 PM

The problem with resource extraction industries (mining, logging, yucca, etc) is they just look at the cost/return for today. They only think: “will cost to bulldoze roads allow me to clear cut vegetation and pay for me and the wife/kids to vacation in Barcelona this summer?”
They don’t care about sustainability. They figure they can truck their bulldozer to another virgin parcel next year.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2018 at 06:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
There used to be a rancher with a bulldozer who maintained the roads in that region... I was told by Michael D. Too bad Mike Leon Jr. doesn't maintain them or at least repair the washouts after the rains. His father made all the roads in and out of the Sky Rancho in the late 1960s and kept them up.

Perhaps The guy with the bulldozer makes best money working for drug growers and yucca rapists, eh?

Do land owners make best money growing pot? Who knows?

Perhaps bad roads are a way to keep,military from inspecting fields of drug growers, and running a “ranch” or hotel for knuckledragging gringos is just a cover for illicit activities? Who knows?

Human nature is driven by greed, it never surprises me the depths of depravity that joe six pack is capable of!

[Edited on 10-27-2018 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2018 at 05:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Do land owners make best money growing pot? Who knows?

Perhaps bad roads are a way to keep,military from inspecting fields of drug growers, and running a “ranch” or hotel for knuckledragging gringos is just a cover for illicit activities? Who knows?

Ahhh, the old conspiracy theory raises it's ugly head.

When I was out at Mike's last April, fly fishing (is that also knuckle dragging?) I observed that Mike's makes damn good money just as a hotel. They told me they had 127 beds, $70 a night per bed. Assume the place is full 15 nights a month (estimate of 50% occupancy) and you have $1.6 million per year. Not too shabby. That's not even counting alcohol sales (especially during races). A lot easier business than avoiding criminal charges. See Occam's Razor.

I did not find any water pipes along the creek (3-4 miles of exploring), except the one that serves the hotel.

I thought you were more concerned with the "false flag" operation by Democrats to send bombs to their own leaders?:lol::lol::lol:

John
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 10-27-2018 at 08:03 AM

I have to agree with the Goat. I don't think a motel or rental ranch could survive just catering to off road types, and hikers, unless they supplement their income in the backwoods with such things as marijuana growing. ( nothing wrong with doing that)

John, where are you talking about Mike's? Do you mean the supposedly famous, Mike's Sky Ranch, that's a haven for dirt bikers and off-roaders? If so they only have 27 rooms, and I doubt it's full 15 days of the month.

I don't care how much they charge for their over priced rustic rooms with no TV, and limited electricity.

It's always a bad sign when you search on a site for a motel, and they don't list their prices, but you see things like they charge on a per person basis, and there are a lot of package deals have involve Mike's Sky Ranch.

I see things like warrior packages, that for four days for $2000 dollars, that includes three or four days at Mike's Sky Ranch, that includes pick up from San Diego, and some type of motorcycle packages, bikers, uniform including elbow pads, but I was unclear if the motorcycle rental was included or if that was another $60 dollar a day charge.

It's shocking what some tour companies get away with charging.

Oh yeah, no false flag operation, it's a real MAGA bomber, and typical Trump, follower,

[Edited on 10-27-2018 by JoeJustJoe]

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2018 at 09:07 AM

It's obvious Goat and JJJ have never been to Mike's Sky Rancho. I'm pretty sure there are more than 27 rooms, but there are multiple beds in some rooms. You also get dinner and breakfast for your $70. Either way, I've hiked the streambed for miles and there are no "growing" operations in that terrain, it's actually quite rugged. But, if you two want to fantasize about "criminal activity" who am I to stop you.

John
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2018 at 11:21 AM

I think Mike Jr. is only interested in the road in from Hwy 3 and the road to El Coyote. That's where people come from to stay over night or to stop by for a drink. The road out toward Dark Skies has always been a little rough and has been used as a SCORE race course. When Mike and Pamala bought the property they closed off that part of the trail because people using it left trash all over. So they closed the road and locked their gate.

The last SCORE race did a loop up Simpson hill then toward El Coyote using the cut over now used. It turned east about 2 miles from El Coyote running back to the Dark Skies jct. then to Mikes and out to Hwy 3. I believe it was the 2004 Baja 1000. Simpson hill was really bad with stuck cars and trucks. But the real nightmare was a hill east of El Coyote that cars and trucks got stuck on and nobody got thru for hours, some stayed overnight and had to be pulled out.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 10-27-2018 at 11:29 AM

No Harper, I never been to Mike's Sky Ranch," but I know the type of places where you are often greeted at the door by a scorpion, but no big deal, as long as you can get it out. It looks like a typical Baja motel, except it's even more remote than the others.

Now I'm beginning to think maybe you never been to Mike's Sky Rancho," because many places say the motel, has only 27 rooms, not 127 rooms, which would make it a monstrosity, in the middle of nowhere.

I also see Baja occupancy rates from time to time, and in some years it's reported below 70% which is probably really only 50% of pubic rates, although things have improved, and on certain holidays, occupancy rates are close to 100% in many parts of Baja.

If Mike's, is charging $70 dollars, they are price gouging, when a room like that should only be $25 dollars tops, but seeing it's in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes races are happening. I guess they could charge whatever they want.

Maybe, you're counting the separate beds and camping spaces to get over 127 rooms.

Maybe, you missed the possible clandestine drug operations, during your hikes? Perhaps, if you stumbled upon such an operation like that, you would not be here today?

Here is a post from many years ago about an alleged robbery attempt by gun point near Mike's Sky Rancho:
________

ROBBED AT GUNPOINT IN BAJA

This is late - but is worth repeating. While riding dirt bikes to Mike's Sky Rancho on Saturday Dec. 14 at 2PM, on an old Baja 500 race course in the pine forest south of El Rayo and northeast of Heroes de la Independencia, I was robbed at gunpoint by 3 masked men. Myself and 2 friends were headed from Rancho Santa Veronica to Mike's Sky Ranch on dirt bikes. We were on the dirt road that heads south in the vicinity of Pino Colorado. From this road, I believe it was the 2000 Baja 500, the old race course turned off south (right) and made it's way via the Rancho Candolfi road to Hwy 3, crossing Hwy 3 at KM 77 at Cerro Colorado. It was on this section, which is nearly impassable now except for motorcycles, that we encountered a stack of burned tree branches blocking the trail. My immediate thought was that the trail was was washed out ahead and this was a warning. We dismounted the bikes, when 3 men wearing dark clothing and full ski type masks (wool stocking with holes cut for eyes and mouth) came running out of the bushes screaming with a rifle, shotgun, and a very long (12") knife (probably a machete). They fired the shotgun into the ground in front of us and screamed "Money, money, money!!" They forced us on our knees with our hands up, pointing the weapons directly at us - they were extremely agitated.

https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/robbed-at-gunpoint...

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-27-2018 at 12:39 PM

Mt and Joe just Baja nomad blow hards. Mike's and melings make honest living. Your both clueless.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 10-27-2018 at 01:23 PM

JoeJustJoe, is accurate above all else.

Mike's Sky Rancho," has only 27 rooms, and if you''re charging $70 dollars, for a room with no TV, and no electricity, besides what the generator gives you for a few hours.

I would say you are being taken advantage of. I have stayed in four star hotels for $70 dollars, in the off season in some countries, the same this dump charges.

Mikes Sky Ranch is a remote resort located 80 miles; south east of Ensenada, Baja off Hwy. 3 on the north western edge of the San Pedro de Martir national park, over looking Arroyo San Rafael Mountains. Named after its founder Mike Leon, Mikes Sky Ranch is a long time haven for dirt bikes, off-roaders and it has served as a checkpoint for the Baja 500 and Baja 1000 off-road races. Mikes Sky Ranch established in 1967 includes 27 rooms with hot showers. There are also areas for RV's and campers. The cost includes full access of the relaxing pool, recreation areas, horseback and meals, which are served family style (campers will have to pay extra for meals). There is also a well stocked bar, just remember that at the Ranch cash is king. Nearby enjoy hiking trails, trout fishing, waterfalls and hundreds of trails perfect for ant off-road enthusiast. The road to Mikes Sky Ranch can be rough in some parts so it is recommended that you have a SUV, truck or any type of vehicle that offers some ground clearance. Mike sky Ranch can get cold at night, so plan ahead especially if you decide to camp.

https://www.mexbound.com/mikes-sky-ranch/

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2018 at 01:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
No Harper, I never been to Mike's Sky Ranch," but I know the type of places where you are often greeted at the door by a scorpion, but no big deal, as long as you can get it out. It looks like a typical Baja motel, except it's even more remote than the others.

Now I'm beginning to think maybe you never been to Mike's Sky Rancho," because many places say the motel, has only 27 rooms, not 127 rooms, which would make it a monstrosity, in the middle of nowhere.

I also see Baja occupancy rates from time to time, and in some years it's reported below 70% which is probably really only 50% of pubic rates, although things have improved, and on certain holidays, occupancy rates are close to 100% in many parts of Baja.

Well, I guess someone stole my truck, because here it is at Mike's:

As for a scorpion ridden fleabag motel, you couldn't be further from the truth. It's a gem in the wilderness, you really should visit at least once. And, it was packed on a weekday evening both times I've been out there.

It's actually a very large place, don't let ignorance blind you. The pool is drained down for winter, not neglected.

I'll give you a point for my possible error in number of rooms. I'm just repeating what I was told. I'm pretty sure there are more than 27 rooms today, the place has expanded since 1967. Let's say 127 beds. My $1.6 million number was based on number of beds, not rooms. I based my number on a 50% occupancy rate all year. 127 beds x $70 x 15 days x 12 months. You can do the math, can't you?

Bajatrailrider is right, I'm debating fools.

John

[Edited on 10-27-2018 by John Harper]
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 10-27-2018 at 01:40 PM

Harper, the only thing that photo shows me is that somebody owns a cheap 2000 Ford, Ranger, with California plates, who was parked in front of Mike's Sky Rancho."

I don't know a hotel/motel in the world, that lists the number of beds they have instead of the number of rooms. However that Mike's is a weird place, where they charge a per person rate for the rooms. So what's that for two people in the room $140 dollars?

BTW, if that is your truck, it's not ever a good idea to publish your personal information on the internet, especially if you like to travel.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-27-2018 at 01:41 PM

Poor bastard Joe never been there but talks garbage.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2018 at 01:46 PM

pathetic isn't it......:no:
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 10-27-2018 at 01:58 PM

Usually, before I stay at a place in a foreign country, or even in the US. I read the reviews, so I don't blindly make a mistake like so many people.

Obviously, this place has some charm, but it's mostly has to do with the remote location than the spartan motel, and family style eating grub, which I'm also not into unless they are my family.

I'm not a off road racer, or do I ride dirt bikes, although I do hike, but I think I will pass on this place, because it's obviously a remote tourist trap that over charges for what they give you in return.

I think the swimming pool, is filled with water from the run off, so I think Harper is wrong again, because that doesn't sound well taken care of.

I see I have attracted the attention of two of my most devoted fans in this thread.

edevart
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2018 at 07:50 PM

I don't know any of you folks, but anybody that walked into this conversation like I just did would realize that this "investigator" marooon is obviously a basement-dwelling snowflake that has way too much time on his hands and a very dull axe to grind. Definitely somebody who needs some help. Or fresh air.

[Edited on 10-28-2018 by edevart]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2018 at 05:26 AM

David M@rston-LaBaron
That ain’t me! :P
Your dad, Ervil, would be embarrassed at your poor investigation skills!

[Edited on 10-28-2018 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-28-2018 at 09:13 AM

Too bad these guys can't keep their love fest in OT.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.