Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Assistance for a foreigner in La Paz
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2018 at 09:52 AM

Can you use compression stockings? I see a post of free ones on one of my Facebook groups. I will send contact info

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2018 at 11:00 AM

please u2u me your contact info so I can pass it along.
u2u is upper right hand corner, you can message me securely there.

Quote: Originally posted by Hubschraubear  
Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  
Can you use compression stockings? I see a post of free ones on one of my Facebook groups. I will send contact info

Very much so - in fact we been shopping around for at least 1 above the knee, cheapest we find so far on Amazon Mexico is 1200,- pesos with 30 mmHg compression
I need to wait until healed in full and go to a medical supply place like medisur on Allende and try - if this is possible - one to find the right size.......

One of the weird things of this ordeal is that I have now 2 different sized feet / lower legs....
Please send info if you can as we no have Facebook accounts and some info can not be accessed without having one.

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2018 at 07:21 AM

I will have the stockings for you when I return to Baja later this month, can send them down on Baja Pack or whatever ??? I don’t know that they will work, as they are below knee but I’ve found ingenuity can be amazing.

Hope the rains aren’t too bad there, looks like Bud is lessening in strength.

I notice that the fund raising on the latest page is disappointingly low.
I’m adding a bit so you can stock the frig again. (We’ve never met, and I prefer “anonymous” on such webpages) Fellow nomads, can you spare a few dollars, too? Kindness to a stranger comes back in amazing ways.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2018 at 09:58 AM

We just got our elec bill so I presume Hubshraubear will be getting his any day now too.

I think that dealing with that bill separately from the donations makes it a quicker "get it done" project.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2018 at 10:28 AM

Oh I agree that bajapack is not an option. We should get the sox to someone who is coming south - another option is to get it to the restaurant at the turnoff to Punta Abreojos (make sure I am aware of when) and I will send it down to La Paz with one of my students, who will get it to you.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
vjfamily
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2018 at 06:07 PM

Tomas, it is really easy to look up your CFE account on the CFE website. All you need is your account number. Check it out, comes in very handy when the paper bill is lost on the street.
I suggest patience regarding the compression socks . The socks are very difficult to put on your feet and legs. The skin on your foot and shin is “ new” and easily scratched or scrapped as the socks are pulled up.
Joanna
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2018 at 12:38 PM

There are gloves that help putting compression socks on. They grip the sock much better than your hands. I use them on my wife's compression socks.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2018 at 12:47 PM

To get the right size sock his leg and foot need to be measured for the right fit.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 06:29 PM

Regarding the compression stockings, my return to Loreto has been delayed but someone is holding some men’s 30-40mm (?) ones for me, When I get home, by the end of the week, I’ll check them and let you know any more info...size, etc...so you can check with your doctor to see if they will work. I do know they are below the knee, though.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 11:37 AM

I've used both a wrap and now the compression socks on my wife's legs to help remove water buildup. They fit from the knee down. When I got the socks the medical store sold me a pair of gloves to help fit the sock. They have a course rubber on the palm side that grips the sock to smooth it out etc. It says Medi on the glove and is made by Medi GmbH & Co. KG out of Germany.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 11:40 AM

How are the finances holding up?

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2018 at 08:10 PM

I am sure you will find the perfect new home with speedy internet!

How satisfying it must be to finally work again.

Come visit La Bocana

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2018 at 12:02 PM

This was in todays Sunday paper in Parade magazine. A compression sock with a zipper. Thought you might be interested.

vjfamily
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2018 at 01:32 PM

An early Happy Birthday to you.
Enjoy this birthday, be proud of all your hard work.
Photos will be wonderful!!!
Joanna
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2018 at 01:56 PM

Finally...the donated socks have arrived. Size medium, 35-40, below the knee. Will try to get some down to you in the next month or so (anyone headed to La Paz fromthe Loreto area who could take them earlier?). I don’t know if they will work for you, but worth a try.

Doubt you’ll want the polka dots? I have about ten pairs, so anyone else in need of compression socks get ahold of me...will be happy to put them to good use.

Am sending another donation today, have some ice cream with your cake. And a chicken, and more rice and beans, whatever. Happy Birthday, friend I’ve never met! May the year ahead be brighter than the last.

F4620AF3-6471-4601-8452-603B45FAFCDF.jpeg - 218kB

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2018 at 06:43 PM

Happy birthday!!

Come visit La Bocana

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2018 at 07:45 AM

Nomads...the medical and thus financial issues for these two expats Hubschraubear and 4x4abc, are real and ongoing. If you can help at all, please consider doing so.

(H...see u2u)

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 8-16-2018 at 11:55 AM

Thank you all for helping out!
With your donations I was not only able to buy the medication, but also managed to get a substantial discount.
Thank you!

Started treatment about a week ago and have already very good results.
It looks more and more likely that I will walk again.

https://www.gofundme.com/zabvh-help-me-please

Harald Pietschmann
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2018 at 12:48 PM

seriously, If I have this right you can drive a Mercedes Benz and pay for the maintenance it requires worth around 30 K and you are asking for help with money from people on a board... Something not right here.

Maybe people should be donating to a honest Mexican family instead of a guy driving a Benz that is too attached to his car over his leg.

I will bet the Benz has South Dakota plates and he never pays the 200 pesos a year to invest in the country he resides in or receives free medical care in...I may be wrong on this but it all makes sense.

:mad:
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2018 at 01:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Thank you all for helping out!
With your donations I was not only able to buy the medication, but also managed to get a substantial discount.
Thank you!

Started treatment about a week ago and have already very good results.
It looks more and more likely that I will walk again.

https://www.gofundme.com/zabvh-help-me-please

Good news Harald. I look forward to another off road trip with you in the future.
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.