Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Assistance for a foreigner in La Paz
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2018 at 01:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by charliemanson  
seriously, If I have this right you can drive a Mercedes Benz and pay for the maintenance it requires worth around 30 K and you are asking for help with money from people on a board... Something not right here.

Maybe people should be donating to a honest Mexican family instead of a guy driving a Benz that is too attached to his car over his leg.

I will bet the Benz has South Dakota plates and he never pays the 200 pesos a year to invest in the country he resides in or receives free medical care in...I may be wrong on this but it all makes sense.

:mad:

Too bad you don't get to know someone before bad mouthing him.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 04:39 PM

We shall be in La Paz for a couple days in September, perhaps we can get together then!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 05:00 PM

great idea!

Harald Pietschmann
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2018 at 12:35 PM

as awful as it is to look at, your leg and foot really looks so much better! Keep positive and reach out, this is one big village we live in, when it comes right down to it.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 08:47 AM

So, I have some ideas for you!

1. your foot will get better, as it already has, and your body will adjust to a different gait. no issue and infinitely easier than dealing with no leg. and even that can be overcome - there is a man on talk Baja who just lost his leg and he made it his mission to get back to Baja and go fishing. one can feel his passion in his effort. truly incredible.

2. you have to find a way to slowly but surely get some more income coming in. think outside the box! maybe you can create an organic spice garden and someone can sell at the farmer's market...something like that. minimal effort and a great return. What do you know that you could write a "how to" book about? Start a blog about how to live in La Paz for your compatriots who might be thinking of moving to La Paz. I am just throwing out ideas here!

3. your go fund me needs to be in Germany. see if there is something similar. write in German and get your other country on your side.

4. ask friends in Germany if they have any government contacts - in this life it sometimes really comes down to WHO YOU KNOW. 7 degrees of separation etc.

5. perhaps you have a journal? your life experience could become a book, could become a Hollywood movie, could become inspiration for others.

6. get that circulation going - look online for the exercises you need to do without any special equipment and do them every day.

Keep the spirit up, that is half the battle right there! the sun comes up every day. isn't that just phenomenal?

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2018 at 07:28 PM

Sure wish Maria the best of luck, and I hope she doesn't lose her job but if she does, here's to her finding one that makes her even more $$$

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2018 at 02:14 PM

:o

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2018 at 07:12 PM

There is absolutely nothing I can do to help...sure wish I could.

I would like to meet girlfriend Maria - have her text me. I am free any time after 9 am tomorrow.

[Edited on 9-27-2018 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2018 at 01:47 PM
I just met a girl named Maria (la la la la)

I met Maria! So quiet, so soft-spoken and bright! I think we need to help her get a better job so that money issues are resolved for both of them, slowly but surely...

She speaks English and a little self-taught Japanese and by now perhaps some German?? (( forgot to ask) and would like to work in the tourism/hospitality business, which is what she studied.

Does anyone have a hotel connection? We need a Marriot or Hilton or something wonderful. Right now she is a night receptionist at a hotel. She is having a hard time finding a better job due to age discrimination, right off the bat the job ads ask for 20 - 29 year olds and she is already in her 30's.

Thinking caps everyone - we can even suggest jobs outside the box!

rsz_maria_-_tomass_girlfriend.jpg - 156kB

Come visit La Bocana

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2018 at 07:52 AM

So, you ARE a German citizen? Don't they have something like Social Security Disability (SSDI) compensation programs? Are you retired? No pension or Social Security/retirement available?

Can the German Consulate help, perhaps get you back to Germany where you can obtain some basic benefits and healthcare? With no assets and no income, what is the point of staying in Baja? How long can you realistically maintain this situation?

It just seems you should have some kind of services available as a German citizen. Germany is not a third world country, after all. Maybe I'm missing something about your plight. Did you have an income stream and a plan (and a contingency plan?) before moving to Baja? No reserves or an "escape" plan if things go south? My mom was German and she always had a plan. You can't expect "candy canes and unicorns" all the time. No German "Go Fund Me" page? No friends or family in Germany?

Seems like you should have got your ass back to Germany before you were flat broke. That's what "emergency" plans are for. Begging strangers for help isn't really a "plan."

I have a friend who has worked "under the table" and never paid into SS or Medicare. Not sure how he expects to survive much into old age. On taxpayer largess I assume? I never understood why someone would put themselves at that risk.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I just don't get people who wait till the "wolf is at the door" to realize they should have a plan.

John

[Edited on 10-2-2018 by John Harper]
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2018 at 05:34 PM

thank you for your empathetic lecture, John!
Fritz the Kraut certainly loved it too.

The other John (Lennon) had a more realistic view: "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"

I am in a similar situation. No money left, almost out of health.
I flocked up. Sad, but true.
I might survive it.

Advice from "Why don't you go home, you (stupid) foreigner?" to "Just cut that effing leg off, don't waste money on antibiotics!" only helps my depression.

A big thank you to the all members who talk less and help more.
Thank you!

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-2-2018 at 05:50 PM

Harald, is renting the guest room an option? Pre-qualified European or ? travelers, perhaps?
How about renting your Jeeps to fly-in guests? Maybe some pre-planned tours on paper to go with your Jeeps?
You have such a nice place that there could be resources with it. Hopefully something!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

vjfamily
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2018 at 06:12 PM

Blanca, so glad you got to meet with Maria. The photo is wonderful, Maria has kind eyes, a serene manner - kinda reminds me of Frida Khalo.
This whole mess that Maria faces with the man she cares for has struck a chord for me.
From day one, reading Vetinario's posting I found myself reflecting on how good life is for so many people and how fortunate that Hubschraubear connected up with Maria.
I consider it an honor to help this couple dig there way back to a joyful satisfying life. Someday they will help someone just as they have been helped.
BTW Can you tell me/us what name does Maria use when talking of Hubschraubear
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2018 at 06:24 PM

Jeeps all need work
my insurance does not cover renting them
let alone the lack of permits
sure you have some free play in Mexico, but you would be surprised how many are just waiting for you to give them ammunition

working on getting the extra room ready for rent
but with me in the wheelchair and low funds, that will take a while

with more than a year in the wheelchair I have learned to wait

my main obstacle is my depression and the many hours a day I need to spend in treatment.
Once I find someone to help me with my books, my life will balance out again.
But maybe I'll die with the books still inside me.
Luckily I have only dear friends around me that soften the impact of pain somewhat.

Harald Pietschmann
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2018 at 06:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
thank you for your empathetic lecture, John!
Fritz the Kraut certainly loved it too.

I'm not trying to be cruel, just trying to see what options he might have. I've helped lots of people in my life, please don't misunderstand my comments. I am actually trying to see how best to help this poor man. Other than just sending money to a static situation. Paying his landlord for another few days just doesn't seem much of a solution.

Maybe pitch in and get him home to some family/friends, or resources? IDK, who can any of us really count on? I always wonder.

What does Fritz want, that's the question. Only he can say. If he's sold off all his stuff, his options are few. Flights to Germany are relatively cheap, it's the off season. Perhaps we all should just buy him a ticket from LA to Frankfurt? At least he can get some state benefits and medical care. IDK, just tossing out some options. It's his life. Beats begging for rent.

I apologize if my comments came across as less than sympathetic. That's not my intention.

John

[Edited on 10-3-2018 by John Harper]
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2018 at 07:43 PM

Fritz is not a stupid man - just sick and out of resources.

Flying him back to Germany will only make him another homeless in Germany.
With another grim winter coming, not a smart idea.
Life in La Paz is a lot less expensive, with decent weather. Plus, he has a caring girlfriend on his side.
So, we should help him more instead of lecturing him.
I don't have much myself, but I'll be the first one tomorrow morning to send money.
This man needs help - not lip service.

Harald Pietschmann
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 06:18 AM

Fritz,

Thank you for your response. All I was trying to ascertain was what options you have given your situation.

The way I see it, your assets are:

German citizenship
Pending Mexican citizenship (?)

Liabilities are:

Older (I'm 60 as well)
Broke
Sick
Near Homeless
No potential income stream

Not a lot to work with IMO. That's the reason I suggested a return to your country of citizenship. You're a stranger in a strange land, and perhaps returning home might have opened up some other avenues of assistance.

As for my mom, she would not have been in your situation, as she always instilled the need for good medical insurance, retirement savings(coupled with SS), frugal spending habits. She is dead now, but did not die penniless.

I appreciate your responses. Believe me, I've been called lots of things in my life and "prick" is not one of them.

John

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 07:34 AM

Seems like there are several of us over 60 with a lot of Baja travel experience that could be combined to the benefit of younger Baja visitors? A Baja California Adventure Service where our knowledge and connections might be combined and provide an income when we as individuals cannot, alone. Just thinking outloud...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 07:44 AM

[rquote=1136711&tid=90230&author=John Harper

I'm not trying to be cruel, just trying to see what options he might have. I've helped lots of people in my life, please don't misunderstand my comments. I am actually trying to see how best to help this poor man. Other than just sending money to a static situation. Paying his landlord for another few days just doesn't seem much of a solution.

Maybe pitch in and get him home to some family/friends, or resources? IDK, who can any of us really count on? I always wonder.

What does Fritz want, that's the question. Only he can say. If he's sold off all his stuff, his options are few. Flights to Germany are relatively cheap, it's the off season. Perhaps we all should just buy him a ticket from LA to Frankfurt? At least he can get some state benefits and medical care. IDK, just tossing out some options. It's his life. Beats begging for rent.

I apologize if my comments came across as less than sympathetic. That's not my intention.

John

[Edited on 10-3-2018 by John Harper][/rquote]

Well, John, your intentions are certainly not clear. And certainly not helpful, unless you truly are interested in what Hubschrabear “wants,” as a way to help and not as a way kick a fellow human being when he is down.

What the man wants, and needs, are simply human dignity and whatever assistance might be available, having already exhausted all other possible options. Following this entire thread, I can clearly see that struggle, and can only imagine what it must have cost him to ask for help from strangers.

Materially, a safe place to live, access to decent internet so that he can make a living, a decent and secure job for Maria...these would get him back on his feet. Perhaps an angel out there in La Paz is listening/reading this? While I am not capable of providing any of these things, I can be sure that there is grocery money monthly, and if ramen noodles are the diet so that the landlord can be bought off for a few more days, so be it. Responding to a strange in need shows our humanity.

Anyone out there who can help, please join me. There for the grace of God, go I, and everyone else who thinks it could never happen to them.

Roberta Henry, proud Baja Nomad for many many years

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 08:08 AM
the ] in the top quote tag is missing and can easily be added back in to make the quote work, if you want to fix.

Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  
Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

Well, John, your intentions are certainly not clear. And certainly not helpful, unless you truly are interested in what Hubschrabear “wants,” as a way to help and not as a way kick a fellow human being when he is down.

What the man wants, and needs, are simply human dignity and whatever assistance might be available, having already exhausted all other possible options. Following this entire thread, I can clearly see that struggle, and can only imagine what it must have cost him to ask for help from strangers.

Materially, a safe place to live, access to decent internet so that he can make a living, a decent and secure job for Maria...these would get him back on his feet. Perhaps an angel out there in La Paz is listening/reading this? While I am not capable of providing any of these things, I can be sure that there is grocery money monthly, and if ramen noodles are the diet so that the landlord can be bought off for a few more days, so be it. Responding to a strange in need shows our humanity.

Anyone out there who can help, please join me. There for the grace of God, go I, and everyone else who thinks it could never happen to them.

Roberta Henry, proud Baja Nomad for many many years

Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.