Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: Assistance for a foreigner in La Paz
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 08:13 AM

fritz,

You don't know me, but I'm one of the anonomous donors to your fundrazor campaign, last time i checked, I'm still responsible for over 10% of the total you have raised.

Not sure why you chose to lash out at john, I thought he raised legitimate questions. Many you had answered or refered to in past posts, many required clarification and updating. .

BTW - since you were a green card holder and worked in the USA and paid taxes for 12 years, you are eligible to recieve social security benefits,

did you check that out?
https://finance.zacks.com/green-card-holders-living-abroad-e...

John raised a concern over how you ended up in this financial mess. Thats legitimate. many of us here have worked for sacrified for and planned for the resources we will need to cover us moving into our golden years. that includes contingencies for medical conditions, being financially secure, making sure families would be taken care of in the case we make an untimely exit, or get devastating illness or disability - making sure we are able to cover emergencies etc.
for most of us, that process has taken 40 - 50 years.

thats alot of self sacrifice , for alot of years, alot of denial and discipline, putting off wants, to make sure we stay on plan! just to make sure we don't end up in a situation like you find your self.

after seeing you respond to John, i humbly ask that I be placed in the prick catagory - right next to John, where i stand proudly. In fact, since he is Major Prick, i want to be Lieutenant Prick.

I feel bad for you, I especially feel bad for Maria, and hope that things work out, but lashing out at people who are trying to understand why this has gone from needing some short term assistance to looking for others to fund your self determined long range plans - no thanks, I'm out!

Caj - AKA Lieutenant Prick!

[Edited on 10-3-2018 by caj13]

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 08:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  

Well, John, your intentions are certainly not clear. And certainly not helpful, unless you truly are interested in what Hubschrabear “wants,” as a way to help and not as a way kick a fellow human being when he is down.

What the man wants, and needs, are simply human dignity and whatever assistance might be available, having already exhausted all other possible options. Following this entire thread, I can clearly see that struggle, and can only imagine what it must have cost him to ask for help from strangers.

Materially, a safe place to live, access to decent internet so that he can make a living, a decent and secure job for Maria...these would get him back on his feet. Perhaps an angel out there in La Paz is listening/reading this? While I am not capable of providing any of these things, I can be sure that there is grocery money monthly, and if ramen noodles are the diet so that the landlord can be bought off for a few more days, so be it. Responding to a strange in need shows our humanity.

Anyone out there who can help, please join me. There for the grace of God, go I, and everyone else who thinks it could never happen to them.

Roberta Henry, proud Baja Nomad for many many years

My intention was to identify some kind of path or plan for this man to improve his situation. A couple questions I also have:

1) What kind of medical insurance did Fritz have? I can understand if he was 30 years old, and expects to live forever. Once you get into your 50's you should plan for medical expenses that will be forthcoming. Especially if you're an expat. There's a reason most Americans wait till they get Medicare to retire in Mexico.

2) If he decided 16 years ago to live his life in Baja, why did he not take steps to become a Mexican citizen way back then? From what I've read, he could have avoided this $32,000 medical expense by receiving Mexican state social services and healthcare.

3) Without citizenship, how can he get decent long term employment, pay taxes, and receive benefits? I was thinking he might look into being a live in caretaker for absentee owners, property management services, translator, etc. I'm pretty sure being a citizen would provide more options for a reasonable income stream. DavidK has a good idea too.

4) He's 60, with no German government retirement income available in the future? No US style SS, Medicare, etc? Why not? If Germany offers it, perhaps he just has to suck it up and follow their rules. As it is, he's a man without a country. Blaming some guy named Rolf in Florida is not a defense.

I'm not kicking anyone, just trying to see if there is a way he can survive with his choice of staying in a foreign land without citizenship and chronic health issues. Hard questions need to be asked and faced up to.

John

[Edited on 10-3-2018 by John Harper]
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 02:53 PM

you have a rare talent Señor Fritz!

Harald Pietschmann
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 03:20 PM

I have sent "Fritz" some small contributions and will continue to do so.
When I decide to assist someone whether on line like here or just someone on the street I tend to make snap judgments and then no second guessing afterward. I also spend no time questioning how they got to the point where they have to ask for some help, I just hope any contribution I make helps them move forward.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 04:59 PM

you are a wise and good man, Kurt.

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 05:08 PM

I have also learned that you have no business commenting on where the money goes you are donating.

A few years back, I helped a local guy to build a new house as his had blown away by hurricane Odile.
One of my own walls had blown over, but many of the blocks were still usable. They needed some work to be square again, but it seemed manageable.
So we loaded a trailer full of blocks and drove over to Pedro's property so he had some free building material.

I stopped by for some other stuff three days later and the blocks were gone.
Pedro had needed money for beer. Or drugs. Or whatever.

I had to sort through my emotions and came to the conclusion - it is his life, his decisions. My only involvement can be donating.

[Edited on 10-4-2018 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 10-3-2018 at 05:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
you are a wise and good man, Kurt.

I try to be a good human but have often failed, as to "wise" that is certainly open to question!
Thank you in any case,
Kurt
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 10:08 AM

Let me take the opportunity to thank you all again for helping me in my darkest hours. Without you I might have been homeless by now.
I am kinda walking again, even though the bad leg is quite a bit shorter. But I am moving on my own now. That is all that counts. Sold one more car and renovated the garage house for airbnb. Check it out: https://tinyurl.com/vd57sbn
My mobility is severely limited and that will not likely change. I don't mind - don't have that many years to live anyway.
Nonetheless, I will soon offer Baja expeditions and 4x4 classes again. A couple of books are coming, too.
So, life looks bright again.

Thank you all for helping me to get this far!

dancing girls.jpeg - 138kB

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 10:22 AM

That is wonderful to hear, Harald!
You are a strong individual and I was impressed on how well you moved about just months after the accident. Heck, you were even fixing my flat tire from your wheelchair!
I look forward to seeing you back in business and if I can help, even by posting your links, let me know...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

Thank you all for helping me to get this far!
Harald, any idea what happened to Fritz?

I have no idea what happened to Fritz. I have been reaching out to him because he had mentioned that he felt alone and abandoned, but he did not respond to several attempts.
I know first hand how depression crawls into you after severe traumas like he and I had. So I wanted to help.
The occasional "Heads up" mail from forum members made a big difference for me. Thank you!
I hope Fritz is in good hands.

Depression is a powerful silent killer.

depression Al Margen 800.jpg - 108kB

Harald Pietschmann
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 12:28 PM

I have continued getting updates. It always is the same story - healing up - then big setbacks, donors abandoning him, If only he could get access to fast internet he could make money - etc.

at one point i know he was talking to german consulate types, don't know where that got him. i also never heard if he bothered to follow through and get the social security benefits he was entitled to from the USA (assuming the story he told was true, he was eligible!)

I kind of felt like I had become an enabler by contributing, i could detect no effort on his part to actually move forward on getting the help he needed (not interested in moving, getting german help, USA help etc, it seemed like he was only interested in staying in his situation - and complaining about it! he was not interested in any potential solution other than keeping donations pouring in! - it's like he was only interested in getting handouts from people!

heres the last update i got: This was mid october I believe

Just an update here, getting close to 3 years now and still so many problems and new issues. I wonder if this will continue being that was along senior citizen life.
The wound itself continues to heal, even the 2 new cracks within the would due to swelling of leg with liquid I do not get out fast enough with medicine like Furosemida.
The whole leg and and the foot however do look horrible, this are like bodyparts that do not belong to me! More like out of a horror-movie!
We do the best we can with massages and this Biomagnetism treatment of Dr. Isaac Goiz Duran, Medical Surgeon from Mexico
So in general we not doing good, due to several donors cancel/seize their commitments we in a tight spot and no change in outlook.
After Telmex, CFE and debt collectors we ad up with somewhat 200.-US $ per month for both of us, groceries, meds and all.......
No need to break that down

[Edited on 11-27-2019 by caj13]
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 03:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

Anybody know what happened to this Fritz guy?

I just talked to some friends in La Paz who mentioned a German computer whiz who'd had some major medical problems with his leg, but they said his name is "Tomás".
:?:

I remember dimly that either Fritz's last name was Thomas or it was his middle name. I have seen both names connected to him.

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 05:39 PM

Did you know Tomás, the German who lived in the desert west of L.A. Bay? He passed away around 2004. Mia (he wife?) continues what he began to help promote L.A. Bay with the www.bahiadelosangeles.info page.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2019 at 08:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Did you know Tomás, the German who lived in the desert west of L.A. Bay? He passed away around 2004. Mia (he wife?) continues what he began to help promote L.A. Bay with the www.bahiadelosangeles.info page.

Tomas and Mia were long friends of mine. Tomas was actually Werner Marhold, but nobody could pronounce Werner in BdlA. So he became Tomas. His funeral in 2005 was major event.

mia 800.jpg - 181kB

[Edited on 11-28-2019 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2019 at 09:54 PM

here is Fritz's latest update, as of today. I'll let it stand on its own, with one reminder, I was a guy who was a significant contributor to Fritz and his cause -

Following is not such a nice statement but somehow I have to put it out:
I have been informed last week that there been some deteriorating remarks about me made on that Baja Nomads platform by that obviously intellectually deprived hater "caj13" spewing brain diarrhea without any merit in best social media echo-chambers styles.
Questioning my intention with another personality assassination attempt. I do not know why the guy is so focused on me - there are much better targets out there.
I guess he found nobody else to hate at the time. Poor person, what a sad character on display!
Yes, it makes a lot of sense what he wrote down during his quest for some attention.
If I'm out for hand-outs I would have enough sense to do so BEFORE I sold all my valuable (multiple vehicles, upmarket electronics, and computer equipment) and before Maria and I went into debt using to limit out our credit cards, over-draw accounts and take personals credits at loan-sharks to pay my medical bills.
And the other one, less severe yet also not correct statement regarding me originates from "4x4abc". He may send me a 3-word message via this Baja Nomads message system.
For sure did he not reach multiple times out to me as stated!! I have a mail on file where I send him, my physical address, my Telmex landline #, my Telcel phone # PLUS he has a friend that is very frequently in personal contact with a friend of mine. Getting in touch with me would be not a problem at all!! But I understand, some remarks are just like duds serving to groom and maintain an appearance as good guy more than anything else. I guess it works looking at the results and lifestyle....
Rant over, I had said what I had to - rest assured: you talk unjustified crap about me behind my back - I will respond if falsehoods. lies or BS cross a certain threshold....
Correcthor

[*] posted on 12-2-2019 at 02:09 PM

That sure made me curious, needed a while to find the place you pulled that statements from.
Are you surprised that a tasty answer caj13
" It always is the same story - healing up - then big setbacks"
I do not know many people that barely safe their leg from amputation - it might be a little more as just a flu....
"assuming the story he told was true".... ? Questioning somebody speaking the truth, a person in a desperate situation, is not very helpful.
And why are you just picking the less positive stuff and not the whole post or the link to it?
Looking back on this thread looks like you only nagging at the guy... and after over a year start again...?
Why? Aggravate the guy?

He seem to try different ways to progress reading in to that
If somebody has his phone # or email address please send it, I like to talk to him.

Here is the missing part of that post and the link to it.

"It's the first Advent and a by many folks in Germany observed custom is to light the first candle on a Advent Wreath (Adventskranz). It is like a count-down to xmas...
Due to circumstances I (ET) do that virtual and send my thoughts across the city to Maria and to all the genuine people helping us along that long road so far."
~~~~
http://bit.ly/2qizKZ2

[Edited on 12-2-2019 by Correcthor]
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2019 at 02:38 PM

first post by a newbie - interesting!
To put it into a nutshell, fritz, after telling his sotry - was asked a series of legit questions by people willing to help, but needing more info. fritz first lashed out at them, denigrating them - then interstingly - he came back with new "details" for his story.

Trouble was "in fabricating those details", he messed up.
His insistence that he had worked for 12 years in the USA, and paid all of his taxes - well if that was true - that makes him eligible for social security benefits and some health care. He was provided a link to those resources.
Interestingly enough, he chose to never acknowledge that help, or seek it, instead he chose to continue lashing out at those people who had stepped up to help out. (including me, who was a significant donor to his cause BTW)

why would that be Mr thor ? why would he continue complaining about his situation when he had a ready made solution available?

See what happens when you choose to embellish? sooner or later, even on the internet - someone steps up and holds you accountable!

The good news in fritz still reads stuff here, so perhaps he will contact you, and you can help out!

[Edited on 12-2-2019 by caj13]
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2019 at 04:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  

And the other one, less severe yet also not correct statement regarding me originates from "4x4abc". He may send me a 3-word message via this Baja Nomads message system.
For sure did he not reach multiple times out to me as stated!! I have a mail on file where I send him

Fritz (Thomas Ernst) is a grumpy man in need of help. I can relate. I am German as well (born grumpy) and I just finished a 2 year wheelchair "adventure". That really turned me into a grumpy bastard.
So, when Fritz mentioned his depressive phase I reached out.
He did not respond.
I understand - I sometimes have the same problem responding in time.
So I used the fundraiser platform to reach out.
Nada.
Tried again a few days later.
Nada.
Below is my 3-word message (no, it was not on Baja Nomad)

TErnst.jpg - 60kB

for you non native Germans: Thomas, I already tried to reach you a few weeks ago. I wanted to visit you, help you get through hard times. Please respond. Harald Pietschmann. I am in La Paz. You'll find me. Can't post may mail address here.

[Edited on 12-3-2019 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.