Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6
Author: Subject: Assistance for a foreigner in La Paz
Hubschraubear
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2018 at 07:59 AM
Photos

Quote: Originally posted by vjfamily  
New photos are much appreciated, thanks for the updates. People up and down Baja are cheering for you.

We need to sync a "photo session"with Francisco (Veterinario La Paz) as we both do not have any more cameras or phones with cameras.
We had to sell all of such items during the last year.
Plus we have some timely conflicts, Maria works 7 days a week from 11:00PM to 07:00AM at the One hotel down-town La Paz.
That is her official work time, however, they are chronically under-staffed at moment so 2-3 hours (unpaid) overtime is the norm....
And we have to match with Francisco as well but it will happen them days
Hubschraubear
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2018 at 08:39 AM
Donations

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  
Some very generous donations including one for $1000.00!

Yes indeed - we just want to emphasize that ANY donation made has had a huge impact in our life as in particular the last few month been literally hell on earth for us. The equivalent of 20,-US $ (+/- 400,- pesos) was the food budget for both of us for 1 week.
There is an German expression: "Zuviel zum sterben, nicht genug zum leben!" (roughly translated "To much to let you die, not enough to let you live")

But of course, Karl Volger's 1000,- been exceptional, brought me on the edge of a heart attack so to say and I broke down somewhat. Could not believe it!

On top he is a friend with Sra. Ingeborg here in La Paz, the 84 y. old lady that helped us (together with Veterinario La Paz Francisco and Sr. Gerardo Ortiz) from the beginning of this ordeal.
She was not aware of the donation but did call him to thank in my name. I do not know him - or anybody else that gave a donation.

Since people do not know me, to explain: in 2 month I will be 60 years old. I move out at home age 15 with my first month salary of apprenticeship.
Since that time I take care of myself. I never borrowed money, I never financed anything (it's been offered very often by banks and such), I never had any family ties and support that comes with that in many cases, I never was in any debt.
I live the old German way: work hard, save money, buy whatever you wanted.

So getting this help now is a new experience and very special to me.
In general, this whole situation did impact me a lot in terms of attitude. It made me humble and I have a total different outlook and respect for poor people!

Not that I was arrogant or negative against those, I always help and give the needy, but I seen that all different.
Today I know, getting up after falling on your face can be near impossible of the circumstances against you.
Hubschraubear
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2018 at 09:28 AM
Money spend

Must be time for more bandages, we made a donation. Happy healing!!

Thank you! Your donation is very welcome.
In general for the folks here so you know what we do with the funds.
We made a payment against the outstanding chunk of rent - the landlord was/is cooperative - yet we still have too pay him off.
We paid outstanding payments + interest to the "vampiro" (vampiros are this semi private loan sharks that offer credits you may see offered by flyers tacked on phone poles or the pinwall at supermarket "5000,- peso, no credit check blablabla)
If you behind in payments they do not send reminder notices, they on your door, 2-3 guys mafia style...
We paid outstanding payments at Maria's bank account as she maxed out to keep us alive.
We deposit to CFE and Telmex for upcoming bills - peace of mind knowing that is done!
Went shopping 1 time to Che Draui, well better at Che Draui online as they can be paid from Paypal account and deliver for 20,- pesos fee.
Eating proper makes a big difference in physical energy, open the fridge and seeing some food in it makes on feel darn good.......

Everything otherwise has be done by Maria as I'm not good walking far so she scoots with public transport all over town to get best priced medical supplies.

We have now for 2 weeks.

Additional is the wound on top of foot closed now and the large chunk on calve is remaining open the size of 1.5 10 peso coins.
So it continues to heal and with better nutrition may be close in 1, 2 weeks.
Last December week 2016 until now.......
With that the danger of re-newed infection is much reduced.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2018 at 08:19 PM

I ate well tonight, I am thankful for what I have, and glad to be able to make another donation.
Please fill the refrigerator again.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Hubschraubear
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2018 at 06:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  
I ate well tonight, I am thankful for what I have, and glad to be able to make another donation.
Please fill the refrigerator again.

Thank you, we appreciate your donation and will do as suggested. Smiles are back in our faces....
Hubschraubear
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2018 at 05:56 AM
Mexico accepted Fundraisers

Does anybody here can recommend another findraiser site that excepts Mexico?
I just read this in connection with GoFundMe merge with YouCaring:
"Non-GoFundMe Supported Countries - Existing fundraisers on YouCaring located outside of countries supported by GoFundMe will continue to accept donations until June 15th, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. PT. After this time, customers will continue to have access to their YouCaring accounts until June 30th. We encourage all customers to begin the withdrawing funds from PayPal before this date to ensure there are no issues receiving your funds."
Mexico is not on that list.....
https://help.youcaring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002480612-Yo...
Hubschraubear
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2018 at 03:16 PM
New Fundraiser Online

Hi all - just an update here we have our new fundraiser online. That change was necessary as the existing platform merged with GoFundMe and with that Mexico became a Non-GoFundMe supported country and the crowdfunder will seize to work in 2 weeks.
We are now at

https://fundrazr.com/gofundmyleg

To honor and respect the Baja Nomads contributions, which made a huge difference in our life and hopeful is the break we been waiting for did I take some screen shots of donations made and but them at the external blog that has been suggested by almost all "how to" guides. That way it remains public even when the old platform closes down.
You find that screenshots at
https://gofundmyleg.blogspot.mx/2018/05/baja-nomads-donation...

That's not brown-noseing, most of you have no idea what you did to us with them donations! We are by far not out of the rough but alone the breathing room made such a huge difference! There are smiles in this house again. I sleep now 5-6 hours at one piece - before I wake up and paced around the house for hours.

Next week I'll go for ambulant treatment to hospital. They will cut some wild growth scar tissue around the edges of the big wound. Not that I'm looking forward to it but its necessary and with funds at hand we can do it.

Please share the link of new fundraiser if you use social media - unfortunately we are anti-social / none-selfies / no Facebook-Twitter-Instagram people

https://fundrazr.com/gofundmyleg

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Change of subject - I no want to start an extra post for that. Does anybody know about a German guy named Klaus, a Bavarian, he used to work as engineer at Costa Baja Resort desalination plant. I seen him the last time maybe 8 years ago. If somebody has contact info I would appreciate that.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 12:49 PM

hello the news is better. There is some light at the end of the tunnel!

I would like to be the facilitator for the payment of the electric and water bills. I will U2U you.

Blanca and Les
Come visit us

http://www.labocanahotel.com
vjfamily
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 04:56 PM

So glad you are making progress. Good luck with the scar tissue removal.
Get more bandages, eat protein and veggies every day - happy healing. Someday when Les and Blanc are in La Paz we will all meet.
Also, please check yur u2u box.
Joanna
Hubschraubear
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 07:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
hello the news is better. There is some light at the end of the tunnel!

I would like to be the facilitator for the payment of the electric and water bills. I will U2U you.

Thank you for your offer, I have replied to your U2U
As humorous side-note: let's hope light at end of tunnel is not an incoming train.....
Yes, I'm doing better, my dark/sensitive/sarcastic humor is coming back......
Hubschraubear
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 07:14 PM

So glad you are making progress. Good luck with the scar tissue removal.
Get more bandages, eat protein and veggies every day - happy healing. Someday when Les and Blanc are in La Paz we will all meet.
Also, please check yur u2u box.
Joanna

I did reply to your message
Hubschraubear
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 07:26 PM
Thank you

Thank you KurtG & Joanna for your donations today at https://fundrazr.com/gofundmyleg
As well the direct gracious support by Karl V.

Also 2 other donation coming from Francisco's (Veterinario La Paz) acquaintances which I believe not here on this forum.

There is a good aura at our place and a certain amount of peace 7 smiles returned.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2018 at 08:30 AM

Well well well! so nice to see a sense of humor, I sure hope the light is not a train!

Joanna, we shall be in La Paz in September when 2 of my scholarship students graduate. I would be wonderful to get together.

When the water and elec bills come, I will post the them here so we can pay them right away and not have power nor water turned off.

Blanca and Les
Come visit us

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2018 at 09:52 AM

Can you use compression stockings? I see a post of free ones on one of my Facebook groups. I will send contact info

Hubschraubear
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2018 at 10:14 AM
Compression stockings

Can you use compression stockings? I see a post of free ones on one of my Facebook groups. I will send contact info

Very much so - in fact we been shopping around for at least 1 above the knee, cheapest we find so far on Amazon Mexico is 1200,- pesos with 30 mmHg compression
I need to wait until healed in full and go to a medical supply place like medisur on Allende and try - if this is possible - one to find the right size.......

One of the weird things of this ordeal is that I have now 2 different sized feet / lower legs....
Please send info if you can as we no have Facebook accounts and some info can not be accessed without having one.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2018 at 11:00 AM

please u2u me your contact info so I can pass it along.
u2u is upper right hand corner, you can message me securely there.

Quote: Originally posted by Hubschraubear  

Very much so - in fact we been shopping around for at least 1 above the knee, cheapest we find so far on Amazon Mexico is 1200,- pesos with 30 mmHg compression
I need to wait until healed in full and go to a medical supply place like medisur on Allende and try - if this is possible - one to find the right size.......

One of the weird things of this ordeal is that I have now 2 different sized feet / lower legs....
Please send info if you can as we no have Facebook accounts and some info can not be accessed without having one.

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2018 at 07:21 AM

I will have the stockings for you when I return to Baja later this month, can send them down on Baja Pack or whatever ??? I don’t know that they will work, as they are below knee but I’ve found ingenuity can be amazing.

Hope the rains aren’t too bad there, looks like Bud is lessening in strength.

I notice that the fund raising on the latest page is disappointingly low.
I’m adding a bit so you can stock the frig again. (We’ve never met, and I prefer “anonymous” on such webpages) Fellow nomads, can you spare a few dollars, too? Kindness to a stranger comes back in amazing ways.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2018 at 09:58 AM

We just got our elec bill so I presume Hubshraubear will be getting his any day now too.

I think that dealing with that bill separately from the donations makes it a quicker "get it done" project.

Blanca and Les
Come visit us

Hubschraubear
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2018 at 10:13 AM

I will have the stockings for you when I return to Baja later this month, can send them down on Baja Pack or whatever ??? I don’t know that they will work, as they are below knee but I’ve found ingenuity can be amazing.

Hope the rains aren’t too bad there, looks like Bud is lessening in strength.

I notice that the fund raising on the latest page is disappointingly low.
I’m adding a bit so you can stock the frig again. (We’ve never met, and I prefer “anonymous” on such webpages) Fellow nomads, can you spare a few dollars, too? Kindness to a stranger comes back in amazing ways.

Thank you, looking forward to use compression socks vs the bandages. I do not know what shipping options are available. In former times for smaller goods I used the bus company but maria said their nickname is "rata pack" and she no recommend them.
I guess estafeta be the most economic

Weather is ok so far. Light rain on and of since about 04:00hr this morning, light breeze.
I'm all prepared and have all buckets and pots ready......
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2018 at 10:28 AM

Oh I agree that bajapack is not an option. We should get the sox to someone who is coming south - another option is to get it to the restaurant at the turnoff to Punta Abreojos (make sure I am aware of when) and I will send it down to La Paz with one of my students, who will get it to you.

Blanca and Les
Come visit us

Pages:  1  2    4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright � 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.