Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Highway 1
RenoJoe
Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-5-2018 at 10:36 AM
Highway 1

Can anyone tell me what the least traveled day and time of the week for Hwy. 1 is, between Hwy 5 to Vizcaino for trucking?
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2018 at 10:39 AM

3rd Thursday of every month, from 2:07AM until 3:12AM.

John
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-5-2018 at 11:34 AM

LOL

Seriously, trucks, busses, and motorhomes towing boats, plus drunks, are all something you just need to contend with. You could go all day without seeing any in the center of Baja and El Rosario to Guerrero Negro is the least traveled section (and why it gets less maintenance).

Highway One south of San Quintín (Km. 0) narrows to just 19 feet wide, with no shoulder and often on an elevated levee making pulling off impossible. Add the occasional bicycle tourist or other obstruction like potholes and you can see head-ons or rollovers are a serious possibility!
The government has been widening 10-20 km. sections (such as north and south of El Rosario and Nuevo Rosarito). but the majority of the highway built in 1973 is still that narrow.

[Edited on 5-5-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-5-2018 at 11:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RenoJoe  
Can anyone tell me what the least traveled day and time of the week for Hwy. 1 is, between Hwy 5 to Vizcaino for trucking?

Google BajaTrans and look up their traffic study reports :biggrin::biggrin:

Seriously, the traffic is so light i dont think anyone has ever bothered to do a traffic study,... it’s always light traffic. Even on holidays it is zero traffic compared to 405 in santa monica at 3 AM on a weekday

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-5-2018 at 12:03 PM

WORD!

HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2018 at 01:12 PM

Plenty of room.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-5-2018 at 01:40 PM

Those knuckles look white...:biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-5-2018 at 02:02 PM

Great photo, Three2tango!

Not as dramatic, but here's one I took (the one I posted first was from jrbaja).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2018 at 03:07 PM

motoged - Just a tad white;)

David K - Thanks. It's a wide-angle GoPro shot so it tends to exaggerate things but it does feel like this!

basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2018 at 03:40 PM

I find there is less traffic early in the morning.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-5-2018 at 04:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
I find there is less traffic early in the morning.

True for open highway, but near ag areas and farms like San Quintin it's a madhouse.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2018 at 05:49 PM

No wide angle on this one.

C4D2147B-FF8A-43D9-B882-5F70FB7203BC.jpeg - 33kB
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 09:57 AM

From my first sojourn down the peninsula in 73, I have always aimed for the edge of the roadway when approaching vehicles, especially trucks. A quick turn as we pass each other back off the edge has worked 'almost' all of this time.

Using my turn signal to let the approaching trucks know to please give me what room they can works. They usually do the same to let me know they see me coming. That simple action is somewhat reassuring as we avoid a head on collision.

I was run off the road in my Ford 4 wheel van in the early 90's by one of these tractor trailers south of Constitution and felt lucky to survive. It was dawn and he had to have seen me coming as I was driving south into the sun. Aiming for the edge was not enough that time and I had to put my right side tires off the pavement as this truck was over the center line. My turn signal got no response. I slowed down without jamming on the brakes as I was trying not to roll over. I almost made it to a safe stop when I hit a cement culvert that wiped out my front axle and I stopped in cloud of dust a few feet further past that.

The truck never stopped. Oh, to have had a dash cam back then. My Vagabundos insurance served me well, after I insisted the van be shipped back north of the border. There was no fixing it down there at the time reliably, since these vans were somewhat rare.

Ever since, I use that turn signaling for every vehicle heading my way on that narrow two lane road, as much to let them know I see them coming.

Speaking of Mexican mechanics, I watched a couple of episodes of Van Life recently when the couple had their Sprinter vans motor fail on the Mainland. What became clear, and what I have always experienced when needing a mechanic in Baja, is the resourcefulness of Mexican mechanics, and their willingness to do everything they can to remedy a situation. Bless those blessed Baja mechanics, and not charge the moon for their efforts, salt of the earth that they are.

I did break down one time in El Rosario heading south around this same period and the mechanic invited me to his home and workshop while he got parts from San Quintin. I stayed in my van for a day or two there, and I dined with his family overnight. Hospitality is a natural response from these fine people. As much as I tried to show my appreciation, they refused to accept payment for other than the parts and labor. I was able to pass on some home items that they could use in place of actual pesos. The lasting memory of their treatment of me has been the gift that keeps on giving.

Thanks to all here.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 10:18 AM

I just leave my headlights on, all the time, everywhere, i dont know why people dont use always-on feature most cars come with.
I dont think using your blinker does much, and headlights are brighter, more noticeable

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 10:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I just leave my headlights on, all the time, everywhere, i dont know why people dont use always-on feature most cars come with.
I dont think using your blinker does much, and headlights are brighter, more noticeable

They are always on by default in my Silverado.

[Edited on 5-6-2018 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 12:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

They are always on by default in my Silverado.

It's a long standing joke among my Ford friends. You can always tell a Chevy truck is coming at you because invariably one of the "daytime" running lights on them is always burned out. Watch for it and you'll see what I mean. Maybe with LED lights their engineers will finally figure it out.

I've been in the habit of driving with lights on when traveling for the last few years. I guess driving 395 so many times and the "lights on" zone just created a routine for me.

John

[Edited on 5-6-2018 by John Harper]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2018 at 07:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RenoJoe  

Towing something wide and swaying like travel trailer? Big trucks are way less dangerous when you are not towing. 19ft (in some places) is still 9.5 ft wide lanes, leaves you more than 1ft margin on either side, without left mirror.

Try not causing incidents through the fault of yours. Slow down where it says Curva Peligrosa or 40 kmh - this is 25 mph. They are not kidding. Slow down and move to the right when you see big truck in the curve - it could straddle the yellow line a few inches. Always slow down when approaching a blind curve - yes, there is a light traffic most of the time but you only need one car or truck doing 70 mph in YOUR lane because he's passing somebody or it's easier to go cut through the curve this way.

You can't do anything with drunks, speeding up m.orons and people passing across the yellow line where visibility is just few hundred feet. They are here all day and night. Farm traffic isn't dangerous, it's slow, but people trying to pass in this area - they are dangerous.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 5-7-2018 at 09:04 AM

This thread reminds me of when I first started driving Hwy 1 to Punta Chivato, before the road was a little wider Ensenada to San Quintin though back then the pot holes weren't nearly as bad. I would just put my eyes on the road and repeat to myself "find a happy place, find a happy place" when trucks and busses passed me in the opposite direction. But nothing will ever surpass the hills just south off El Rosario. Driving over a blind hill and having a truck come straight at you, well, all you can do is pray they are in their own lane. Pucker factor for sure. Now I just tuck in behind a big rig over that area.

RenoJoe
Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-7-2018 at 09:37 AM
Hwy. 1

Thanks For the Good comments from the Good people. Not the Dumb comments from the Dumb people.
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2018 at 10:02 AM

Performance driving 101 on the race track (and Baja Hwy 1)
Eyes always up and looking ahead
BOTH hands on the wheel @ nine & three.
Listen to your butt, have a plan.
You will drive right at what your staring at, eyes UP
Your mind is dying to wander, don't listen.

Es Todo Bueno
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.