Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Highway 1
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2018 at 10:25 AM

When I used to tow a 5th wheel trailer though the length of Baja, I found the truck drivers pretty good at pushing their rigs as close to the edge as possible.

It was the tourists driving wide bodied motorhomes that got my attention... quite a few of them could not or would not move over. Close encounters of the "crap your pants" moments.
My solution when meeting a "non-compliant" motorhome was to keep my trailer wheels 4-6 inches over the centerline, then wiggle the trailer a bit and move over to the edge a few seconds before imminent collision. It worked every time. The expressions on their faces: Priceless.

The times when I had issues with local truck drivers was them passing me close to an upcoming corner (I bailed off the road one time as another semi came around the corner towards us with this yahoo right beside me, attempting to pass me... wtf? .... the two trucks stopped face to face just inches from each other)
I solved that problem by straddling the center line before an upcoming corner and not letting them by. I'd move over at the corner, then turn my left signal light on to let them go by when safe to do so, waving a friendly gesture as them went by.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2018 at 03:15 PM

Except for one comment - that was clearly tongue to cheek - I think all posts so far have been coming from people's experience, which is invaluable. A little politeness goes a long way, Joe.

[Edited on 5-7-2018 by Alm]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2018 at 03:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
nothing will ever surpass the hills just south off El Rosario. Driving over a blind hill and having a truck come straight at you, well, all you can do is pray they are in their own lane. Pucker factor for sure. Now I just tuck in behind a big rig over that area.

I just go 30 mph through those, - unless there is a sign with a lower yet speed limit. Saves gas, too. Behind blind hill there can be a sharp turn, you hit the breaks, then accelerate again - this where the fuel goes. Or, indeed, can be a truck in your lane.

Following a big rig is perfect - when there is one. Not only safer from rigs in the other lane, but also he knows all the topez - or can see them better from his high seat :)
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2018 at 04:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Except for one comment - that was clearly tongue to cheek - I think all posts so far have been coming from people's experience, which is invaluable. A little politeness goes a long way, Joe.

+1

Lighten up, Francis.

John

[Edited on 5-7-2018 by John Harper]
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 05:03 PM

i have found mondays are quiet on mex 1. might just be a matter of coincidence.
RenoJoe
Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-10-2018 at 10:01 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think from the information I received the best time to drive south is in early morning, monday or tuesday.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 09:59 PM

Back when I started driving the Baja 1 (mid 70s) we needed to change a tire on the motorhome (left,rear,outside of duals) We stopped in a long straight stretch just north of the BOLA turn off and changed the tire right in the road way. Not a car or vehicle came by the entire time we were stopped! OH the good old days.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-13-2018 at 08:05 AM

45 years since Highway 1 was completed and there are still hundreds of miles where it is very narrow and shoulderless. When it was opened on December 1, 1973, it was stated that the narrow sections would soon be widened. They just wanted to complete the goal on time so it was a rush job! Well, 40 years later only a few dozen miles have been widened. Traffic is still light between El Rosario and Guerrero Negro.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2018 at 09:15 AM

i drove from la paz to TJ in may of 1969. it took over 2 weeks. 3 of us high schoolers. in some parts we had to have a guy walk in front of the car(2WD) moving rocks. its a miracle the oil pan held up. we lost count of the times we got stuck. if not for the help of kind rancheros we would never made it.
the 4 lane between la paz and cabo san lucas has been a game changer for us here. i have no doubt many lives have been saved.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2018 at 12:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
i drove from la paz to TJ in may of 1969. it took over 2 weeks. 3 of us high schoolers. in some parts we had to have a guy walk in front of the car(2WD) moving rocks. its a miracle the oil pan held up. we lost count of the times we got stuck. if not for the help of kind rancheros we would never made it.
the 4 lane between la paz and cabo san lucas has been a game changer for us here. i have no doubt many lives have been saved.

Would love to hear more about your 1969 trip. Any photos? Have you seen my thread in the Literature forum about the 1959 book and the description of the drive south back then? I am so happy I was old enough to remember our 1966 trip to the tip... an epic adventure!

[Edited on 5-13-2018 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 02:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

Would love to hear more about your 1969 trip. Any photos? Have you seen my thread in the Literature forum about the 1959 book and the description of the drive south back then? I am so happy I was old enough to remember our 1966 trip to the tip... an epic adventure!

[Edited on 5-13-2018 by David K]

sadly no photos. for a portion of the trip we were not sure we were going to make it. if not for the help from the rancheros we met along the way, i doubt we would have. the oil pan was a sight but never developed a leak. the car was a 1957 borgward goliath. for those unfamiliar, a German made car with a water-cooled horizontally opposed 4 cyl front wheel drive. like the current subaru. i paid $150 for it. i sold it for $75 when i got back.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 02:43 PM

Wow, so cool... I never heard of that make before... but am a big fan of horizontal motors Subaru and air-cooled VW.... as I owned both.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goliath_(company)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goliath_1100

[Edited on 6-5-2018 by David K]

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 03:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RenoJoe  
Can anyone tell me what the least traveled day and time of the week for Hwy. 1 is, between Hwy 5 to Vizcaino for trucking?

Sundays IMHO.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.