BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Softride leaf springs YJ Wrangler ?
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2018 at 09:24 AM
Softride leaf springs YJ Wrangler ?

Live a couple miles up a rough wash boardy rarely graded road. Stock 95 YJ Jeep Wrangler is my local run-a-bout. the ride is really rough w/ current stock suspension. any suggestions on suspension upgrades ?- I was thinking of these - SkyJacker Softride Front Leaf Spring for 2.5 in. Lift (87-95 Wrangler YJ)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-7-2018 at 09:27 AM

Until then, lower the tire air pressure for an instant, cheap fix!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2018 at 09:30 AM

Reduce air to 12-15lbs, do a whole suspension rebuild with King Coil Overs for more travel and option al adjustable suspension.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 5-7-2018 at 04:40 PM

Stock leafs will give you a better ride than lift springs, IMO. What size tires are you running? Adjust speed with aired down tires as I have bent aluminum wheels from running too little PSI in the rear wheels combined with hard bumps and a loaded down Jeep. The more sidewall, the more room you have to air your tires down.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-7-2018 at 06:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mojo_norte  
Live a couple miles up a rough wash boardy rarely graded road. Stock 95 YJ Jeep Wrangler is my local run-a-bout. the ride is really rough w/ current stock suspension. any suggestions on suspension upgrades ?- I was thinking of these - SkyJacker Softride Front Leaf Spring for 2.5 in. Lift (87-95 Wrangler YJ)

Minor grading to knock down washboard is relatively cheap. Get your neighbors together and hire somebody to blade it once or twice per year.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2018 at 06:54 PM

TJ or different car. Leafs can flex but will never be smooth
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 09:22 AM

It is harder to get a smooth ride on a short wheelbase so you may never get the ride you want. soft springs and a balloon type tire that can be aired down real low is probably your best bet.
PeregrineA1

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 10:20 AM

Get an old piece of chain link fence and one 8' post. Rig a wye with chain to hook it to your hitch, put a couple of tires on it. Drag the road.

The soft riding minimal lift kits with the right shocks and air pressure adjustment will work. Shocks and tire air pressure are probably the most effective.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 08:54 PM

On a old 95 jeep the leafs sack out get close to rubber bump stop. The small lift 2.5in and good shocks will help a lot. Tall tires tall side wall aired down also big help. You can improve it but never like Coil over susp.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 5-9-2018 at 02:00 PM

I have a 1991 4.0 Y. J. that I drive often it spends most of it's life in Baja however we drive it to the U.S. often. For what it is it drives good. I just had a new set of B.F.G. tires installed and I think they may have put too much air in them it rides a little stiff. the little Jeep Is bone stock and will stay that way for as long as I own it.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2018 at 08:09 PM

Old man emue (sp) makes some nice smooth small lift kits that might help you get to where you want to be... They focus on ride quality!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2018 at 06:07 AM

the 1985 ford crown victoria turns permanente (local word for washboard) into a smooth cruise.
i have a "98 jeep...the ride sucks. better quality shocks help. as stated above, lowering tire pressure is the best/easiest fix.
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2018 at 08:19 AM

Drive faster than 35mph if you can. That is typically the speed that your car will stop hitting the bumps so hard. On washboard roads the slower you drive the more you are hitting every bump head on. The faster you drive the more you are skipping over the bumps.

Also check your shackle angle. If you can get your leafs as flat as possible with at least a 45 degree angle in the shackles it will ride way softer. You never hear about this in jeeps because the main goal normally is height and flex for crawling. But a flat spring will move more resulting in a smoother ride. All older cars that had smooth rides had near flat springs. Also the thinner the springs are the more they can flex. All of this results in a lack in ability to tow or carry much weight though as the suspension can’t handle it.
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2018 at 08:22 AM

If you want to know anything and everything about your car just read all the forums on pirate4x4.com. It’s a pretty ruthless forum so don’t post but there is more information in past posts there about jeeps than probably anywhere.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.