Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Travel suggestions for a Baja introduction to wife
Jeffrowfo

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 01:19 PM
Travel suggestions for a Baja introduction to wife

Hello everyone, Love perusing all the topics and posts. Here is my deal. I have been to Baja many times as part of a race team and of course fell in love with it.
I wanted to take my wife to see more than just TJ as thats all she knows. My thoughts are the weekend of June 14th thru the 17th, enter via Tecate crossing to Valle de Gudalupe and tour a winery en route to possibly Ensanada for the day or San Quentin for the night. Then head over to Gonzaga Bay and either camp or stay at Alfonsina's for a night. Then head to San Felipe then home.
OR, can anyone recommend an outfit like Camp4lo or Baja Legends?
Then we could be off the beaten path with knowledgeable guides. As far as the guides its roughly 1650 and 1900 usd respectively to join their guided groups all inclusive minus fuel.
I have never traveled alone in and around Baja but I do feel comfortable staying on the roads (of course daylight only) and making destination stops.
Thank you in advance
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 02:33 PM

Fly down to Loreto. Rent a Jeep there. If you are in SD, you can walk across the border to the airport and fly Calfia direct to Loreto. Cheap flights.

Things to do:

- take a panga ride out to Isla Coronado - about 1,500 pesos. Swim, lunch, and beers on the beach; top 3 beach in all of Baja.

- drive 40 mins out and see the San Javier mission - most beautiful mission in Baja. Nice drive on a paved road.

- Drive 25 miles North of Loreto, then drive 10 miles in the dirt to Bahia San Jaunico. Top 10 bay/beach in Baja. Awesome for camping. Easy drive out. Take wood and build a big fire on the beach.

- Drive 20 miles or so South of Loreto. Turn off to Agua Verde. About an hour drive, give or take, to AV in the dirt. Road is smooth, but it's definitely a nail bitter road. Super fun drive. My 15 yo kid drove it.

This will be 10x better for the wife. Gonazaga Bay is great, but San Felipe terrible. It will turn her off. There are all kinds of other stuff to do there too, like mule rides and stuff.

Bonus, stay at La Mision in Loreto. Probably cheap that time of year.

Watch the first 3-4 mins of the video in my sig to see all these places.

[Edited on 5-8-2018 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 03:13 PM

"Fly down to Loreto. Rent a Jeep there"

Did that with my ex. We went to Aqua Verde back when it was nothing. She liked it but wasn't happy with my offroad driving style. I scared her a little. I think it was the jumping part.
But come on! What part of Jeep in Baja don't you get?
I had been there with Orange Coast once and wanted to show her.
I flew my Cherokee non-stop from Pomona to Loreto.. 4 hours.
It was just her and I. I had full fuel and we took turns climbing in back for a lavatory break.
Can't do that with a full plane.
If I have passengers we take a break and land about 2hrs into the flight. Just like driving people need to stretch their legs.
Leroto is a good 1st trip.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Jeffrowfo

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 03:25 PM

Awesome idea! I just flew from LAx to LTO in November as I raced the Baja 1000 last year- I got in the truck at @ race mile 640 San Ignacio. Unforgettable!! Plus we finished the 50th Baja 1000 62nd overall and 17th in class.
I was planning on flying down with her next February-ish to explore all those places you mentioned plus see the whales.
This year maybe I will do what I mentioned in the 1st post minus SF
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 03:52 PM

"As far as the guides its roughly 1650 and 1900 usd respectively to join their guided groups"
You don't need a guide. Whatever they're doing, you can do on your own. This forum can custom plan your weekend. Personally, I think that's a lot of driving for 3 nights, 4 days. What else do you enjoy doing? Did you want to fish? Hike? Loll around in an inner tube with a beer? Ruta de Vino will be fun. I'd suggest taking Hwy. 3 from Ensenada (stop at Fish Market pier for fish tacos), to San Felipe. I don't think SF is so bad - a little shopping, restaurant, etc. Then head down to Gonzaga Bay. Drive back home from there via Hwy. 5 (backtracking to SF), exit Mexicali. You'll experience a variety of geography, small towns, food - none of it is really off the beaten path. I don't think it will scare wife off.
Jeffrowfo

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 04:17 PM

Thank you for the reply. A little sightseeing, alot of beach and beers! Hiking maybe take in a mission, sgn Coco's books etc, A tiny bit of tourist shopping , after all we live in Vegas and well, lots of touristy stuff here.
I love the Sea of Cortez and its colors. I have a truck more than capable to get off the beaten path.
June 14th is my wifes b-day and I am excited she is down for a nothern Baja excursion.

[Edited on 5-8-2018 by Jeffrowfo]
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 04:24 PM

No camping in gonzaga in june. She will hate being sweaty all night.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 04:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
No camping in gonzaga in june. She will hate being sweaty all night.

Ditto for lower east SOC. She'd be miserable in the heat; up north will be cooler, with wonderful wineries and A/C. For 3 days keep your itinerary intact. Do Loreto later, you'll enjoy it when it's a bit more temperate. I'd stay more in the winery-Ensenada belt, forget San Flip mid-june... hot, Hot, HOT.

Use the KISS technique, get to know the close-in area and don't try to cram too much in a 3-day weekend, plus if you wanna bail, you can. All around cheaper in the long run (minus tastings and menus).

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 04:57 PM

take her to paris. women like that. norwegian air almost gives tickets away.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 05:11 PM

I have a new girl and was thinking the Ensenada winery tours might be fun.
Which place is best for a cheap gringo?
I think those places are pricey?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 06:32 PM

Gonzaga in June is great... too many hot-weather snowflakes here!

Heat makes the body feel good... and the sea is warm enough to bathe in without a wetsuit, as well.

I can lead a group of four-wheelers or you can ride in my 4WD Tacoma for a personal, custom tour to some of the best of Baja. I have designed tours for Cameron Steele, who created the Trail of Missions tour seen on television and YouTube, and a small group like for our Baja Extreme Tour of 2016.

The more days you have available the more Baja you can see.
My idea of fun is going to beautiful sand beaches, palm-lined canyons, old Spanish missions, prehistoric painted caves, old mines, desert gardens that will amaze anyone new to Baja! The food and people of Baja are amazing, too!

Enjoy this fun example of 10 days in Baja that included:
San Felipe, Shell Island, Gonzaga Bay, Coco's Corner, Mission Calamajué, Mission San Borja, Montevideo painted cliff, Bahía de los Angeles, Pancho's San Rafael, Painted cave of El Carmen, San Ignacio, Mulegé, Bahía Concepción, Bahía Asunción and the hospitality of Juan and Shari, Mission San Fernando, Las Pintas fossil grotto, San Quintín, Guadalupe Valley, Tecate.

Turn on your speakers... Baja: Can't Get Enough!

[Edited on 5-9-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 06:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Do Loreto later, you'll enjoy it when it's a bit more temperate. I'd stay more in the winery-Ensenada belt...

Agree on camping. But the ocean is best enjoyed HOT. Summer are the best months on the SoC.

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 06:52 PM

In Ensenada, treat her to Marina Coral Hotel. Best hotel in Baja until you hit Baja Sur.

[Edited on 5-9-2018 by JZ]

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 07:58 PM

If the wife likes security, Bajamar is the "Beverly Hills" of Baja,
Guadalupe valley is nearby.

Es Todo Bueno
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 08:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jeffrowfo  
Hello everyone, Love perusing all the topics and posts. Here is my deal. I have been to Baja many times as part of a race team and of course fell in love with it.
I wanted to take my wife to see more than just TJ as thats all she knows. My thoughts are the weekend of June 14th thru the 17th, enter via Tecate crossing to Valle de Gudalupe and tour a winery en route to possibly Ensanada for the day or San Quentin for the night. Then head over to Gonzaga Bay and either camp or stay at Alfonsina's for a night. Then head to San Felipe then home.
Then we could be off the beaten path with knowledgeable guides. As far as the guides its roughly 1650 and 1900 usd respectively to join their guided groups all inclusive minus fuel.
I have never traveled alone in and around Baja but I do feel comfortable staying on the roads (of course daylight only) and making destination stops.
Thank you in advance [/

Way too much driving for a “weekend”. Valle de Guadalupe and Ensenada can be a fun full weekend. Then you just drive back home within an hour of the border. Let her enjoy Baja not the front seat for hours.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 08:09 PM

As a follow-up to TecateRay's reply, if you want just a 3 day intro, then don't go too far so it isn't all driving.
Of interest, I was able to introduce my future wife to my bit of Baja in a 3 day trip over New Years (2005). We did a long night drive to El Rosario to get a good start, however. See it at www.vivabaja.com/105

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 08:56 PM

The Ensenada winery idea is excellent! As a first timer to Baja, pamper her and you can't go wrong.

I have heard many a story about guys who took their wives camping their first time and it bombed on them.

Another thought is to stay one night at a place on the coast like Poco Cielo. Soooooooooooooo beautiful and so romantic. Then the winery.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 09:51 PM

What does your wife like to do? Start there.
My wife never camped before I meet her, Five years later she would post up for 2 weeks of dry camping at distant surf spots. Make sure she has a great time, first.
Check U2U.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-8-2018 at 09:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jeffrowfo  
Thank you in advance

Take her to Seville and Costa del sol. She will like it better than dusty off-road tour :biggrin:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2018 at 09:11 AM

The video was made by a friend who is in the media industry and did that all in one take, unrehearsed, so it is totally natural.

The website was made in 2000, so the 90s look is right, and so what... anyone can use it to explore Baja, for free? Try and see beyond the cover of a book for what's inside.

There must be a friendly way you can offer help without condescending and profanity? Guess I am too old to relate to that method of communicating? Here is the other video Robert Marcos made for me, to promote my book. Again, no rehearsing, one take:

[Edited on 5-9-2018 by David K]

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.