Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Pancho at Bahia San Rafael
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 5-14-2018 at 12:39 AM

So I have been talking with Jose and this is how things went. Mexicali Jose arrived Sunday about 2 PM and we got there about 3. We were greeted with the usual beer in hand hug and we talked for just a few minutes and Pancho left for his house. Jose said Pancho was not very well and we noticed that too. Estefania and I had some beers with Jose and went off to set up camp. It got dark and I thought it was strange Panchos was dark and he had not come down to see us. The next morning I talked to Jose and he was going to go over and check on Pancho which he did thru out the day, Pancho pretty much slept all day but was up and over at Joses late Monday afternoon. Again, when the sun went down, Panchos was dark. That day Jose told me Pancho had tripped over a rock and hit the ground flat on his chest. That would turn out to be pivotal.

On Tuesday morning I saw Pancho moving around but when a big group of Can Ams pulled in, he never got up out of his chair. One of them asked me if he was in a wheelchair. After their departure we talked and decided ranchero Jose would be the one to drive Pancho to GN hospital. We loaded Pancho in the truck, filled it with gas and off they went GN. Pancho died in the truck before they reached the hospital.

Apparently he had been in pain for a couple weeks but never said anything. He had a gastric ulcer from beer and beer and tequila and not eating, that burst when he hit the ground. Jose was going to stay until today waiting for Panchos return and when he got to Bahia that is when he sent me the text of what had happened.

Tomorrow they will transport Panchos body back to Bahia where he will be laid to rest. Jose and I tried to get a cremation but due to Mexican law and logistics getting him to a crematorium, time has run out and they are all ready to bury him tomorrow in Bahia.

Mexicali Jose is making plans for a memorial of some sort there at the snail bed and it sounds like rancho Jose has a handle on keeping the place safe and intact because he controls all the water out there. When Jose gets a memorial plan together I plan on going down to help him build it and will pass on any info here if anyone is interested and available to come down.

This is truly a sad time in Baja history. Pancho was 68 years old and I am proud to have had him as my friend.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-14-2018 at 08:03 AM

Sunday night (last night) at 10:05 pm, I received this text from Antonio, the person in Guerrero Negro who has been sharing information with me for you all:

"Hi Dave, today asked and told me that somebody from Ensenada will come tomorrow (Monday) to take Pancho to be buried. Pancho is still at Guerrero Negro."

[based on a u2u I got last night, and before reading Nomad this morning, I asked Antonio if there was a Crematorium in Guerrero Negro and that there were people who would take Pancho's ashes to his beach]

[Edited on 6-25-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2018 at 08:57 AM
Monday Morning Update

From Antonio, Guerrero Negro:

"Good morning Dave, the nearest crematoriums are at Ensenada and Villa ConstituciĆ³n, but they are very expensive. I talked to the funerary and they said that at Tijuana is less expensive. The amount is 1500 US dls the ashes taken to Bahia de los Angeles. Let me know if I can help you more. I'll be glad"

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 5-14-2018 at 09:08 AM

Why the need for cremation ?

I would think a burial at Bahia San Rafael would be quite fitting.

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2018 at 09:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Why the need for cremation ?

I would think a burial at Bahia San Rafael would be quite fitting.

I think for anyone, to transport a jar is far more doable than a body in a casket. Also, coyotes are very likely to dig up a body if it isn't super deep, right?

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2018 at 09:21 AM

Well transporting the body to either crematorium place is further than to Bahia San Rafael so me thinks that is a moot point. I could be wrong though ?

As for the coyotes,
yes a deep grave is a must. A bag of lime would help though.

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2018 at 10:07 AM

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. I wouldn't really care if a coyote ate my bones, it's organic and biodegradable. Not much use for them after I'm gone anyway.

John
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2018 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Well transporting the body to either crematorium place is further than to Bahia San Rafael so me thinks that is a moot point. I could be wrong though ?

As for the coyotes,
yes a deep grave is a must. A bag of lime would help though.

I was presuming that would be done in Guerrero Negro when I said that. It sounds like it will be done today... so as I get fresh news, I will share when I can.

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2018 at 10:20 AM

The outlaw Josey Wales said .. "Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms".

Enrique2012
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2018 at 11:24 AM

Something tells me this would be a deserving way to dispose of your carcass, but Pancho's body deserves more respect.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2018 at 03:31 PM

The price to cremate is not much different in Baja than the US. Greenlawn here in Bakersfield charges $1600.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2018 at 04:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
The price to cremate is not much different in Baja than the US. Greenlawn here in Bakersfield charges $1600.

It should be much less. I paid 1300 usd in Encinitas Ca. 2013. I paid 365 usd in Apatzingan Mich. 2012. Maybe its the transportation fee added into it?

[Edited on 5-14-2018 by chippy]
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2018 at 06:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. I wouldn't really care if a coyote ate my bones, it's organic and biodegradable. Not much use for them after I'm gone anyway.

John

Edward Abbey burial

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2018 at 07:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

It should be much less. I paid 1300 usd in Encinitas Ca. 2013. I paid 365 usd in Apatzingan Mich. 2012. Maybe its the transportation fee added into it?

Greenlawn quoted me $3600 for a burial in a cheap casket, that included the plot.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-14-2018 at 07:06 PM

When I needed to cremate my sister's ashes, I was directed to a crematorium in Chula Vista, Ca. They charged me $850.00 USD last year.

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2018 at 07:18 PM

Jose texted me this morning and said Pancho was taken to Bahia and will be buried today. That was about lunch time so I assume he is now in his final resting place.

Thank you for your help David. Mexican law on burial is very strict and time had pretty much run out for anything but placing him in a grave.

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2018 at 08:49 PM

IMG_6703.JPG - 220kB

IMG_6707.JPG - 133kB

IMG_6706.JPG - 115kB

Today from Jose. My heart is sad.

Harald Pietschmann

Bajazly, August 2019
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2018 at 09:03 PM

Vaya Con Dios Amigo Pancho

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2018 at 09:04 PM

Thank goodness some kind Hombre through a pair of shades on Pancho,

that sun was getting kinda bright ..................

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2018 at 11:34 AM

It would be nice to pick a day soon to have a sort of remembrance/send-off/get- together of Nomads and throw a "Poncho fiesta" of sorts to remember one of Baja's true legends.

There should be a BBQ, music, beer & Tequila, fire pit and dancing involved.

I know I would try my best to make it as I would love to meet some of you Nomads in person and it surely would be a great time !

Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.