Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Pancho at Bahia San Rafael
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2018 at 12:45 PM

I'm getting confused, he is buried in Bahia de los Angeles, right?
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2018 at 12:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
I'm getting confused, he is buried in Bahia de los Angeles, right?

Yes,

1962siia

[*] posted on 5-15-2018 at 05:25 PM

RIP Pancho! Thanks for all the info being posted here. Stopping in San Rafael will never be the same. Glad we got to chat and hang out with him in Feb this year. Condolences to all his friends.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-15-2018 at 05:55 PM

Our friend of many years, Mike Humfreville is also buried at Bahía de los Angeles cemetery...

The photo was taken shortly after the burial, November 2006.

[Edited on 5-18-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

twgracing
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2018 at 11:51 AM

So sad...I was there the 10th and I believe it was Mexicali Jose said he would be back that weekend. We were sad to miss him, always one of our favorite spots to stop. RIP Legend.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 5-16-2018 at 09:16 PM

I've always wanted to stop at that cemetery and look around. Now I will every time I go through there just to see Pancho and have a beer with him.

I know schedules are impossible but when Jose let's me know what he has planned for some kind of service there I will post it up in case any of you are down that way. I will be there for sure and it can be a when you are there on going thing to stop in, add something to the memorial and maybe post up some pictures of the ever growing tribute to a Baja legend.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2018 at 10:16 AM

I guess now Carlos Slim can buy Pancho's property. A couple of years ago Pancho told me that Slim wanted to buy his property but he wouldn't sell.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-18-2018 at 08:59 AM

We just got back from BOLA and got there a day late for the burial. Pancho was buried next to Juan's cousin Frederico's wife..it was a double header at the panteon that day. It was a sad time as several locals passed on in the last couple weeks.

DEP Pancho

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2018 at 09:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I guess now Carlos Slim can buy Pancho's property. A couple of years ago Pancho told me that Slim wanted to buy his property but he wouldn't sell.

Who owns the property now? Is there an Ejido there?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2018 at 06:26 AM
Email exchange about a dog left at Pancho's

Emails:

On Sun, Jun 24, 2018, 1:55 PM Henri Camou:
"Hi David
Back in March i left my dog on Panchos care while i was on a trip to Europe
I am back and ready to go down there as planned
Do you have Joses contact ?? Or anybody who can inform me
Thanks Henri"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 9:17 PM, David Kier:
Hello,
No, I don't know José.
Maybe check Baja Nomad in the thread on Pancho?
If I can help, I will!
David
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Pancho
Henri Camou
Yesterday, 7:10 PM

"I cannot suscribe to the blog
Do you mind to place a word in it for me
Just ask if anybody knows what happen to my little BIN a black hairy c-cker spaniard kind of dog that a lot of foxes know
I will be there asap in a few days
Is anybody taking over Panchos place ????
Merci. Henri"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2018 at 11:09 AM

Isn't there a young(?) couple living at the ranch near Pancho's place? If so they may know about the dog and/or Jose.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2018 at 11:26 AM

Bajazly wrote "Tuesday, we got Ranchero Jose on the road with him."

David maybe you should send Bajazly an email about the dog or put Henri in touch with Bajazly.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2018 at 04:51 PM

I gave Henri the links to this and the new thread I made this morning, for his dog. If Bajazly looks at Nomad, it should be seen by the two of them?
Thanks, Tom!

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 6-27-2018 at 12:45 PM

Just in case someone doesn't see this in the other thread I'll put it here too. And after reading the other thread more carefully, it is the black dog in question.

I believe the dog in question is a medium size black dog. I asked Mexicali Jose what happened to the dogs and he said Ranchero Jose had them. The rancho is about a mile North of San Rafael on the west side of the road. The first well used turn off to the left, heading north, will go to the rancho.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2018 at 06:42 PM

Kind of a bummer that he wasn't buried around his Oasis/beach. If someone is going to make a memorial at his campo I would be happy to put in some money or help if the timing is right? Sure will miss the guy!
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 08:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I guess now Carlos Slim can buy Pancho's property.

Probably. I hear he already bought BOLA airport. Don't know what he is up to, but this can't be good. Too much power in the hands of one never is.
ztrab
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2018 at 10:44 AM

I have been stopping in to have a beer and chat (that was always interesting) with Pancho for a few decades. One time I brought my wife on my big BMW GS, he always asked about her after that - she speaks beautiful Spanish. I liked to bring my dirt bike vets and Baja newbies to San Rafael on the way south. Last Feb he made us tortillas with butter and cold beers, heaven. His place looked the best ever, sorry to see a bit of Baja lore pass.
I'm trying to ride it as much as I can before progress claims the remoteness and charm. My first Baja trip, 1960, Papa Diaz's stone house and a few room was all there was in BOLA. My landlord in San Diego and he grew up together, he sent me down in 1977 with a letter - they treated us like family. Saludos Poncho!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2018 at 12:04 PM

RIP

Wish I had met him. Keep the stories and photos coming. Great way to keep his spirit alive.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2018 at 08:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Just in case someone doesn't see this in the other thread I'll put it here too. And after reading the other thread more carefully, it is the black dog in question.

I believe the dog in question is a medium size black dog. I asked Mexicali Jose what happened to the dogs and he said Ranchero Jose had them. The rancho is about a mile North of San Rafael on the west side of the road. The first well used turn off to the left, heading north, will go to the rancho.

From Henri, the dog's owner on July 27 (last night):

So I went on Panchos grave at Bahia , and then at S Rafael to find out that my dog died a couples weeks after Pancho;
Jose told me she refused to eat …..
Panchos place is now empty since Jose has taken everything out to the ranch….he is waiting for some kind of a permit to take over himself
Of course Pancho himself will be irreplaceable and I will probably never go back there;;;;;;;Regards Henri

mufflerbearings

[*] posted on 8-14-2018 at 11:13 PM

I'm going to miss that guy. I always enjoyed visits with him, and I was always thankful he had fuel on hand for my moto. He was a kind, gentle soul and we were able to communicate surprisingly well with his small English vocabulary and my even smaller Spanish vocabulary.

Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.