Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: 2018 Baja 500
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 07:47 AM

My roommate told me she heard from some racer friends that there was a tractor/grader/bulldozer stalled in the road between Mike's and El Coyote that everyone had to go around? Fake news?

John
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 08:24 AM

Overall Finish Order

Cameron finished 20th in class, 63rd overall.

twgracing
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 11:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
My roommate told me she heard from some racer friends that there was a tractor/grader/bulldozer stalled in the road between Mike's and El Coyote that everyone had to go around? Fake news?

John

Not fake news but it was after Melling Ranch. After I went through in our 10 car it became a parking lot for the limited classes.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 01:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by twgracing  
Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

Not fake news but it was after Melling Ranch. After I went through in our 10 car it became a parking lot for the limited classes.

I heard a bunch of chatter on the Weatherman channel talking about that bottleneck.

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 01:56 PM

https://www.facebook.com/DesertAssassins/videos/188153048189...

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 02:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
https://www.facebook.com/DesertAssassins/videos/188153048189...

fishgistics....

great to see a safe and sane 50th! if it wasn't for justin davis and the drone incident there'd be nothing to talk about!~:yes:
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2018 at 03:18 PM

If you've seen these really big GPS antennas on the top of race cars, they are SatComm which allows the occupants of the car to press PTT and talk via satellite to their pit and chase teams anywhere in the world. Topography is no longer an issue. Pretty cool technology (albeit spendy).

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2018 at 04:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
If you've seen these really big GPS antennas on the top of race cars, they are SatComm which allows the occupants of the car to press PTT and talk via satellite to their pit and chase teams anywhere in the world. Topography is no longer an issue. Pretty cool technology (albeit spendy).

are those systems required on all entries, or optional?
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2018 at 05:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
are those systems required on all entries, or optional?

Optional. At 5k$ a pop, they are not for everyone.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2018 at 05:46 AM

Satcomm uses a satellite to ground two-way radio signal.
Not in wide usage because all your team must have the exact same device and be tuned for a common frequency.
They use a motor driven antenna, (or multiple small antennas in that pod). It is kind of funky to use since you have to wait to reply due to the transmission delay. Makes it difficult to transition from the normal VHF we all are used to. Quality of voice communication is always excellent. Yes, very expensive when bought new. They are widely available on the web since law enforcement and other government agencies have been using them for a long time.
They are limited to the number of channels (frequencies) that can be used, Typically 2 or 3. Every other Satcomm receiver can receive any communication when tuned to the correct channel. This means that you cannot select the race promoter channel or any given race team unless your Satcomm is set up for that specific channel. This means the application is very specific and not really useful for the race spectator.
NORRA has been the leader of use of these devices and last time I checked SCORE rented them from NORRA for the recent SCORE races. NORRA has enough of them that they can equip all their emergency and tech vehicles with Satcomm and still have some left over for backup. The entire NORRA inventory was purchased from the web and appropriately validated for proper usage. The darn things are not energy efficient requiring then to be powered down when not in an operating vehicle.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-9-2018 at 03:17 PM

5 Grand a pop. Chicken feed money for million dollar truck.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2018 at 03:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
5 Grand a pop. Chicken feed money for million dollar truck.

=
times X for each chase truck
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-10-2018 at 09:06 AM

yes sir A rich mans sport or company paying the bill.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2018 at 10:13 AM

team i am familiar with uses Dark Side, which is iridium based, has voice text, but also monitors and allows for adjustment of engine computer on the fly, as well as real time tracking , tire pressures, and has speed and location of all the chase trucks and helicopters, plus no tupperware cake holder on top - that is crushed and desroys 5K worth of equipment in a rollover!

Million dollar truck? if you are talking trophy trucks, you are way off - costs a whole hell of alot more than that.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2018 at 01:48 PM

As Sal Fish always said. If you want to make a million dollars in off road racing start with two million, you'll soon only have a million.

Frankly I doubt any of the big money sponsors make their money back, I think it is more of a tax write off. For most everyone else it is the love of the sport.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.