Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: How to I make my 3/4 ton Silverado ride better on dirt roads
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 09:24 AM

The biggest ride change in my Dodge diesel . Changing the E rated small stock tires max psi 80. To 315x16 BFgs max PSI 50 Highway I run 40psi Dirt 20psi or less. They are D rated still I have towed 40ft house trailers zero problems.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 10:05 AM

http://sulastic.com/truck-shackle-suspension-sa-06

This is one kind of shackle mount. I like it.
There is another kind and I'll try and find it.

I tried to go light tires and no tire shop would do it. They will only put on the OEM tire. Maybe in Baja they might put the light duty tires on and I think that would help a lot.
But my 1 ton will never be a great true offroad truck.
Off road heavy wotk truck yes.
I now know I can use this thing for incredible loads. With ease.
But empty it almost make me cry sometimes it rides so rough.
I'm looking for seat cushions and stuff. It I sorta jamb myself deep into the seat and use a headrest pillow it saves my neck and spine enough to make it tolerable.
I put the whoopy cushsion on the passenger side so I can embarrass my dates when they get in.
The prissy ones get out and the good sports get in.:coolup:

0000674_sa-06hd-sulastic-shackle-for-rear-axle_300.jpg - 56kB

[Edited on 5-12-2018 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 10:42 AM

A D rated tire is not light duty some have same weight rating as E rated. As for tire shop not mounting D rated tire on 3/4 ton not so. Take Cosco they wont mount over size tire on your truck. If you want best deal on tire 4 Wheel Wholesale but catch 22. They sell the tire cheap but nail you on mounting. I always order the tires carry out then take to Walmart cheap to mount and bal. Also in my case factory tires side wall E rated tires short side wall. The BFGs 315x16 tall side wall day and night diff on ride. As far as your soft ride Shackle they have had those for many years. Some owners reported Zero change in ride, others reported better ride. Please report if you buy one.
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 12:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Timinator  
What ever you do don't put Rancho shocks on it. The stock shocks will give you best ride. I like the idea of the soft lift cushions mentioned by Fishbuck, that does sound like your best option, other than going faster and faster down the roads. Again, don't put Rancho's on anything. They have ZERO rebound control and they should have been sued to oblivion years ago. Their multiple control shocks are multiple ways to have a crappy ride.

Lowering tire pressure is the best free solution, I have used Rancho 5000’s and 9000’s over the last 20 years on F-150’s, surburbans, mid sized Rangers, tacomas, buggys, and a jeep, I have tried bilsteins, kyb, Monroe, and stock, and ranchos are the best bang for the buck from my experiences, hold on to your receipts and buy from somebody that will honor the warranties.
I blew out 2 rear ranchos on an F-150 that was way overloaded on dirt roads but not at the same time, I've driven dirt roads almost daily including the crappy city roads with potholes, for me they are the smoothest for the price, I have had issues on some vehicles with the lower shock bushings going out a couple of times on 5+ year old ranchos.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 02:31 PM

Yeah maybe 3/4 ton is rated for "D". 1 ton is "E".
But I was thinking an F150 tire. That would help the ride. F150s ride like a car.
I'm hoping the plastic spring type mount will take out the harshness. A lot of the bumps will jolt the truck but not even move the leaf spring. Just too heavy.
It hurts.

[Edited on 5-13-2018 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 04:04 PM

We had a 2000 3/4 Dodge work truck and it rode really hard until we put a 300 gallon water tank full of water in the bed. Then it rode as smooth as a car almost. But when the water moved in the tank you could feel it.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 04:13 PM

The truck rides as smooth as any car on the highway.

With the Kings and airing down it's light years better than it was on rough roads. I'd say it does pretty good actually. I run Nitto Terra Grapplers on 18 inch stock rims.

I was just wondering if there was any other low hanging fruit.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 04:23 PM

I think you have the best setup going. If you could just add weight after dropping the bikes off:?:
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 04:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
I think you have the best setup going. If you could just add weight after dropping the bikes off:?:

Carry the bikes on a carrier. Most times the bed is full of gear.

The beer coolers alone probably weigh 100+.

[Edited on 5-13-2018 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 5-12-2018 at 06:49 PM

slow down
and
it is free to slow down

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 5-13-2018 at 08:48 AM

I put 285x75x18 Nitto Trail Grappler M/Ts on my F-250. I generally don't air them down unless I'll be at the Bay for several weeks. Best thing I did was buy a little SUV to keep down there and park the big truck. Even airing the tires down the truck still bounces and vibrates. There is only so much you can do. After ten years I realized I don't want to vibrate it to death or risk breaking something on my get-home truck. So the little Suzuki does the work.
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2018 at 12:29 PM

JZ, when I had a Silverado (1 ton dually) I spent a fair amount of time on the front end. Cognito makes some good stuff for the front of that rig that could help you in Baja (UCAs, heavier duty parts, supports, etc.). Not sure anything beyond what you are already doing will smooth out the washboard, but the cognito stuff really beefs up a surprisingly weak front end. We caught a little air with that setup (heading to see Shari in fact) a number of years back. Had a Bigfoot camper on back as well. Suspension handled it perfectly. Anyway, not directly answering your question, but something you might consider. I know when I go back to a Silverado, Cognito is getting a chunk of change from me. Since I can't air down the tires on my current rig I'm having to go by memory, but I think I was closer to 20# per tire (back when the rd to Gonzaga had a soul).

You gonna eat that?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.