BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Is Mexico as safe as it used to be?
joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 5-10-2018 at 07:13 PM
Is Mexico as safe as it used to be?

I ask that from the point of view of a touring cyclist. Remember the Baja Divide thread to give you an idea of what I am asking.

It could be that I started reading the news, or just got older. It could be more drugs and than before. It could be more police corruption. It could be that as I get older, I get more afraid.

Recently 2 touring cyclists were killed in Chiapas. I was looking at a map considering riding that same road, before I read about it.

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2018 at 07:28 PM

I was down there in March on my moto for 12 days and everything seemed just fine! Rode a lot of the Baja divide and spoke with a few cyclists and didn't hear of any problems. chit can always happen but you could get run down checking the mail to.
joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 07:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
you could get run down checking the mail to.

I got hit by a Mercedes benz as I checked the mail box back in 1987. Hard to move out of the way when you are standing on ice.

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 08:17 AM

Just got back from 6 months on Bahia Concepcion. There were 3 murders in the Santa Rosalia / Mulege area. Local guys, 2 decapitations.

Four friends of mine, two Canadian couples in two fifth wheelers, took off to travel the peninsula and suffered an armed robbery at night while camped on a Pacific beach south of El Pescadero. A shotgun was discharged by one of the robbers and one woman had her clothes torn off in an attempted rape. I spoke with them when they returned to Bahia Concepcion. I doubt they will ever step foot in Mexico again.

I'd say it's more dangerous in BCS than before. There are more people, both good and bad.

I used to stay alone in my camper on remote beaches. Not anymore, even with my very alert dog.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 08:27 AM

The short answer is no.

Pretty much nowhere on this planet is as safe as it used to be. Drugs, a weak economy, years of releasing countless thousands of violent ex-cons back into Mexico at the Tijuana border with no filtering or coordination with the Mexican authorities and the institutional corruption that exists down here have all taken a deep toll.

Some expats prefer to live in walled off communities, believing that will keep them safe but in my opinion it only makes you a bigger target. My advice is to learn spanish, get to know your Mexican neighbors and establish a strong neighborhood bond with some form of a neighborhood watch program. Security lighting along with a couple of large barking dogs is a huge plus.

If you are only down here traveling as a tourist, don't speed or roll stop signs when driving, avoid getting drunk in public places, stay away from drugs or any other illegal activity, stay only in the tourist zones after dark and if that voice in the back of your head is telling you that something doesn't quite feel right then quickly put distance between yourself and that situation.

Same advice I follow wherever I travel today on this drug infested planet.

Traveling alone on a bike down a long, remote stretch of highway would give me the creeps anywhere today. I would only do so with a larger group or a trailing vehicle.

YMMV

bajamary1952
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 09:56 AM

I am one of the rare single females traveling only with a small dog in a car and camping 50% of the time - and never stay in gringo areas including high-priced hotels. I have been traveling mostly Baja for the past 4 years (and recently on the mainland in the "dangerous" states of Michoacan & Sinaloa) and NEVER had a problem with anyone. I find people very friendly perhaps because I am traveling alone and people find it unusual. I do speak decent Spanish which probably helps. I feel safer traveling in Mexico than most parts of the U.S. where I've lived (lived in Los Angeles area, San Francisco area, Houston, Dallas, etc.)
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 10:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
More people are robbed and killed here in California in a day than in a year or more in Baja.

preposterous. :smug:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 11:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
More people are robbed and killed here in California in a day than in a year or more in Baja.

preposterous. :smug:

with baseball bats!:lol:
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 11:39 AM

I think setting up a camp site in a secluded area way out in the boonies is still pretty safe but solo camping near populated areas within sight of the main road is not very safe any more. It is better to stay in a campground (or motel) where you pay a few bucks, then you are "their" tourist and they will keep an eye on you and your stuff.

DK, you almost got it backwards. There are as many murders in Tijuana in a week (34 on average, in 2017) as there are in San Diego in a year. However, it seems that tourists are usually not targeted. I personally have never been a victim of crime in Baja over the last three decades and dozens of trips (not counting a 20 dollar payment to a cop back in the 1980's to get out of an obvious traffic violation on my part) but I am a lot more careful about where I stay than I used to be.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 02:19 PM

That clarifies nothing, DK. With all the graft and burglaries in Baja you suggest that clears things up? That's why all the bars on every house in every town, huh. Just for once admit you used 'alternate facts' a wee bit.

As far as your last line goes, I also call BS. Compared to Mexico the U.S. is much safer for vacations if you follow common-sense rules. Ever get Montzuma's revenge at a Howard Johnson's? Also here when I camp in the back-country I can pack heat which makes me much safer than in Baja.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 02:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by joerover  
I ask that from the point of view of a touring cyclist. Remember the Baja Divide thread to give you an idea of what I am asking.

It could be that I started reading the news, or just got older. It could be more drugs and than before. It could be more police corruption. It could be that as I get older, I get more afraid.

Recently 2 touring cyclists were killed in Chiapas. I was looking at a map considering riding that same road, before I read about it.

Mexico (all there of) has never been a super safe place travel like Baja was (long ago) Baja now is like traveling mainland 30 years ago (sketchy at times). If you where considering that Chiapas route to ride a bike then you are not very well informed on whats been going on in that area for a long,long time. I won´t even drive it in my truck any more.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 03:10 PM

If you want to experience the great outdoors in ways you can't in your daily world, come to Baja!

Like I said I know 4 Canadians experiencing the great outdoors on a baja beach this winter not far from a town that were absolutely terrified by two armed Mexicans that stole everything they could carry, money, IDs, electronics, etc, shot up a trailer with a shotgun, and ripped the clothes off one of the women. These are experienced baja travelers who felt safe for the night.

Baja is definitely more dangerous than it was for tourists and locals alike. More drug (meth) addicts I would guess. Even the little town of Mulege has a meth problem.

But, I'll keep going there. Just have to be more careful.

[Edited on 5-11-2018 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 04:09 PM

Being an experienced traveler in Baja is meaningless.

Feeling ''safe for the night'' is naive.

What happens in Chiapas can happen anywhere, and does.

A guy in my hood had a gun pulled on him at his door by 3 MX demanding money. He gave them money and still lives there.

Bad things happen to good people. Luck of the draw.

Don't be lulled into a false sense of security.

Having a dog that will sound an alarm is great. Then what? Have a plan.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 05:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
If you want to experience the great outdoors in ways you can't in your daily world, come to Baja!

Like I said I know 4 Canadians experiencing the great outdoors on a baja beach this winter not far from a town that were absolutely terrified by two armed Mexicans that stole everything they could carry, money, IDs, electronics, etc, shot up a trailer with a shotgun, and ripped the clothes off one of the women. These are experienced baja travelers who felt safe for the night.

Baja is definitely more dangerous than it was for tourists and locals alike. More drug (meth) addicts I would guess. Even the little town of Mulege has a meth problem.

But, I'll keep going there. Just have to be more careful.

[Edited on 5-11-2018 by SFandH]

That was terrible and I don't blame them for never going to Baja again.

I wanted to balance the fear you shared with newbies who could change their Baja plans. Plans that might go to places I go to, and never have had a problem with crime.

You even say it won't stop you from going south.

Every time one here posts a scary story without some relevance (like where it happened), it HURTS the local people of Baja who depend on tourism and visitors for their living. Always post bad things that are truthful, but take a minute to let the newbies to Baja know that Baja is not just Cabo or Rosarito... It is a 1,000 miles of adventure in just one direction and 3,000 miles of coast with mountains in between. Crime does happen but not everywhere in Baja and not with making good decisions about where to be. If you hear there were a robbery and a shooting in San Diego last night... do you not go to the World's greatest zoo or Sea World or Legoland any more because of that?

Or does it hurt your dream/fantasy?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 06:19 PM

To clarify, I did say killed or robbed (not just killed)... and the people in question are (North) Americans.

Americans on vacation in Baja are safer there than everyday life here... that may be an opinion, but I think not. I presumed the thread is about Mexico being safe for tourists from north of their border?

Compared to living here in the U.S., a vacation in Mexico is safe.

Didn't someones purse just get lifted at Coco's Corner?
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 06:34 PM

I've had my heart and my seed stolen more than a few times in Baja .....

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 06:36 PM

To put it in perspective the state of CA has 40 million people. Baja and Baja Sur have 4 million. Also it is probable that reporting of crimes in Mexico is not as high as in the U.S. To be clear I'm not saying which is worse but there are places I would not go to on both sides.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 06:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by joerover  
I ask that from the point of view of a touring cyclist.

it's safe to cycle. but watch out for two demographics: retirement age gringos and fat ladies in hondas.

Many are cranks that hate bicycles, think bikes have no right to be on roads. Some gringos drive oversize vehicles like full size pickups and RVs that are dangerous because their driving skills are decaying and skills are not quite up to driving wide cars.
Cranky old gringos in too-large vehicles (and hondas), what can you do about them?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 07:15 PM

Someone that cycles on Hwy 1 should realize the danger they put themselves and others in by biking on such a narrow highway . They have NO right to complain, when and if , something bad happens to them..

And it ain't just cranky old Gringo's or fat ladies in Honda's that can cause the damage...

Albeit , there are a whole lot a Cranky old Gringo and fat Ladies around....:!::!::!:

[Edited on 5-12-2018 by Paco Facullo]

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-11-2018 at 07:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
I've had my heart and my seed stolen more than a few times in Baja .....

My hunch is you gave all that away.....:lol:

Can't be a victim under those circumstances....:light:

Don't believe everything you think....
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.