Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Road Report Hyw 1
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 5-17-2018 at 02:43 PM
David- you never paid attention?

Well, there has always been gas at Cataviña, when the Pemex pumps were no longer open, independent dealers sold it out of gas cans there. It was about a dollar a gallon more for their service (and hauling the gas from El Rosario, 76 miles away).
One thing for sure, you got a full 5 gallons for the price of 5 gallons (19 liters) when it is poured out of a 5-gallon can![/rquote]

Sorry to disagree, my friend, but I never bought gas there, or elsewhere out of 5 gallon cans that had not been kicked in on the sides and bottom.
I always figured that if those mis-shapen cans delivered up 4 gallons then we were still ahead of the game.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-17-2018 at 03:34 PM

I got gas many times from metal jerry cans or from plastic containers and never saw any damage or corruption of container shape. Lucky perhaps... But, as one in business, if you cheat people, they won't come back and word spreads... you won't be in business long.
Last year, I got gas at Santa Rosalillita, San Miguel Comondú, and Punta Prieta sold from containers.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 5-17-2018 at 03:39 PM

Heck, when you are desperate in need of petrol, be it from a dented coke can or an old bleach bottle, I'm just as happy as a hot tamale wrapped in a corn husk steaming in a big pot, that the guy is there selling it.

[Edited on 5-17-2018 by Paco Facullo]

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-18-2018 at 09:32 AM

We just got back from a mini trip to BOLA and I was so happy that all the potholes between Guerrero Negro & Jesus Maria have been filled!!!! smooth sailing all the way although many cars were dodging the ghost potholes anyway scared that one maybe wasnt filled I guess.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 5-18-2018 at 11:48 AM

Glad to hear that Shari, am driving that road Thursday.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-18-2018 at 11:53 AM

Shari: How 'HOLEY' was the highway between Villa Jesus María and the L.A. Bay junction?

Any signs of the new Pemex station construction start? The sign from Los Pinos for it was on the east side of Hwy. 1, south of the junction.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-19-2018 at 08:58 AM

the road was great from Vizcaino to the junction...just some holes on the road to BOLA. I didnt see any sign of the new Pemex but wasnt looking on that side.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2018 at 09:22 AM

Drove to La Paz and back a few weeks back.

Took 5 though and bypassed El Rosario to Chapala, but the from Chapala south was in its usual shape. Pot holes but not that bad.

However the 5 from San Felipe to Puertocitos was horrible. Even on 35" tires I was driving slow. Unpaved section had tons of Y's and turns. I wasn't sure I was even on the good or bad route most the time. It was pretty rough in general as expected.

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
yumawill
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2018 at 07:32 AM

Ah, the "Magic" of Mexico. When my 20 gallon gas tank suddenly becomes a 26 gallon tank. It's definitely worth the price of admission.
yumawill
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2018 at 07:34 AM

Ah, the "Magic" of Mexico. When my 20 gallon gas tank suddenly becomes a 26 gallon tank. It's definitely worth the price of admission.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2018 at 01:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fernweh  
a brand new market by the Rodriguez Family, across the Catavina Hotel, fully stocked with all the items a wary traveler would need, clean well lit, only the fancy coffee could be a bit hotter......otherwise just perfect. Next to the market is the new gas station in full construction mode.

Is this tienda on the same side of the highway but farther north?

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 6-13-2018 at 07:26 AM

Just got back from BCS, road looked pretty good, the usual potholes near Catavina. Workers were patching but patch was coming up as fast as they were putting it down. On another note, it you use the Baja Bound directions to get to the Otay Mesa Sentri lane note that the first right turn after the Belle Artes sign is closed, you have to go to the second sign, turn right, keep left then turn left onto Belle Artes and keep right until the lane. Was super crowded, traffic police made us get into the right lane which was terrible because everyone thought we were "cheating" the lane and would not let us back into the single lane.

[Edited on 6-15-2018 by BajaMama]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.