BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Which route from Canada to Baja is best?
tobianogreg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2018 at 04:16 PM

Thanks for this discussion. We’re driving from Kamloops to San Jose mid October. First time driving for us. Prefer to avoid the high traffic areas as much as possible.

daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 5-15-2018 at 08:52 PM

Incidently, driving through Seattle is the hardest driving we used to do, from British Columbia to the area around Malaque, Jalisco. And I-5 in wet weather for us sometimes meant an extra day on the road: crowding in with a parade of semis, all shooting up spray, cut down on what I could endure as a driver. I just would not stay out there in those conditions, you cannot see what is going on with any clarity.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-16-2018 at 09:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tobianogreg  
Thanks for this discussion. We’re driving from Kamloops to San Jose mid October. First time driving for us. Prefer to avoid the high traffic areas as much as possible.

Tobiano used to be a good hayfield....great views....:coolup:

Don't believe everything you think....
tobianogreg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2018 at 09:45 AM

Still have both. :)
bajabum
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2018 at 03:49 PM

none of the roads are good...there are enough canucks with 5th wheels littering the beaches and special spots in Baja. Stay away and quit contributing to the Canadian invasion.

Work is just something I do to keep me buzy between baja trips!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-8-2018 at 08:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabum  
none of the roads are good...there are enough canucks with 5th wheels littering the beaches and special spots in Baja. Stay away and quit contributing to the Canadian invasion.

I assume that is your attempt at humour ...:?:

Don't believe everything you think....
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 6-8-2018 at 10:15 AM

Just another thought regarding I-5 travel. When the passes look closed, or winter conditions prevail, go west to get on to 101, and drive the coast until far enough south to avoid mountains and passes. This is much slower, but can allow you to see the redwoods, the coastal beauty of Oregon and the journey itself. It will add time to your drive, but can get you out of dangerous driving conditions, something that will be impossible if you get caught driving the two lane interior roads that have you wondering where, oh where, is there a place to pull over safely? The answerr too often is 10 or 20 miles away, and as the snow builds up from the roads' edge, the oncoming semis begin their creep to the middle of the road, leaving you....what? just a broken mirror if you"re lucky. The coast route can be wet and windy, but safer.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-8-2018 at 01:14 PM
May I change directions?

Since the OP has not chimed in since the original post, I assume they have their answer. For more than a couple of years now, my Baja trips have started by flying from Anchorage to Northern California, then driving south from there.

I am in California now, and plan on driving north in the next couple of weeks, and was wondering if the Cassiar or the Alaska highway is the better route at this time?

I have driven both before, and prefer the Cassiar, but either ongoing or deferred road construction can change the nature of the drive.

So, what do my southern neighbors say about the road between Prince George and Whitehorse? (Yes, Anchorage is north of Whitehorse)

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Timo1
Senior Nomad

Mood: Lovin every minute of it

[*] posted on 6-9-2018 at 05:16 AM

check out drivebc.com for construction and road conditions.
That link might be wrong so google drive BC
Hope this helps Gary

sold out and got out !!!
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2018 at 06:18 AM

Have towed multiple times on 1-5 and I-15 in winter conditions in Feb. and it can be dangerous towing, especially through the mountain passes. if your dates are flexible, plan to leave during a "weather window" before or after a storm passes.

Another option if you don't need your RV is to find an RV storage place in south California, drive down in good weather and store your RV until you need it. Storage facilities are often found near larger recreational areas, e.g. Glamis. There is a new one with covered storage north of LA at the Love's truck stop. The freedom of not towing is great, but it can be nice to have the RV comforts. We store our RV in Baja because driving safer, exploring Baja is easier and there is less wear & tear on the truck without it. The cost of lodging is offset by the reduction in fuel cost.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2018 at 07:32 PM

Except for those who need to visit Nevada or Arizona, everybody takes I5, straight to San Ysidro. Seattle and LA are inevitable evil, heavy traffic. You could avoid Seattle by crossing in Osoyos to East WA, not familiar with this route, and Feb is still winter.

WA gas is cheaper than BC.
Ore-gun ;) is cheaper yet.
Don't miss the last gas station before crossing into Ca, because Ca gas is expensive. You'll have to fill up in Ca more than once.

General rule - the bigger the exit, the least expensive is gas, because there are several stations and a good chance to find Arco or another discount guy. Hotels, though, will cost slightly more in such a place, if this matters to you.

Plan at least 3 nights to SY. One day to get to OR, one day to cross into North CA, one day to Bakersfield-ish, one day to cross SY and make it to Ensenada.

Ditto on crossing I5 to Ca: check the weather conditions on Siskyou pass the evening before. https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/NOAA-Forecasts?curRegion=7 - click on Ashland or the next zone to South. Links to Web cameras - at the bottom of the page. Snow (if there is any) is only on the Oregon side and sometimes extending a few miles South of that pass.

Driving to Cabo with trailer... Oh, my... South of La Paz there aren't many places to camp on or near beach.

[Edited on 6-10-2018 by Alm]
mrioux
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2018 at 11:01 AM

Thanks to all that responded. Looks like I may move up by travel date to Baja from Feb.2019 to mid Nov.2018 (earlier retirement date) so weather may not be such a big concern as I'm considering the Idaho, Nevada, Yuma route from BC.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.