Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: San Felipe 250 tragedy
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2018 at 08:47 AM

Its napoleonic law in play all the time in Mexico. (guilty until proven innocent)
The race was run by a off road race sanction organization with the blessing of the federal & state gov't. The risks taken by ALL involved are historically KNOWN and assumed if your anywhere in proximity or participating.
Contact the race officials and make a truthful statement. End of your responsibilities that you as a racer PAID for to happen, after the statement, its on the sanction org to do the rest, they have the insurance policy.
Its RACING, death can and will occur.
I've been road track, club racing my Porsche for over 8 years, Bad chit happens to good people, I pray in the grid every time, full commitment or go home.

Es Todo Bueno
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-16-2018 at 09:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Wow. True colors. Unbeeffinglievable.

Sad, isn't it ? ....but we live in a time where human decency is taking a beating ....:(

Don't believe everything you think....
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2018 at 10:32 AM

as someone who has first hand knowledge of an incident exactly like this in another race, they waited for the authorities, who follow procedure, and lock up the driver and navigator while they investigate. The team fly down a plane load of lawyers, guy was out of prison in 2 days, ended up paying for lots of specialized medical care for an injured, plus paying reparations etc.

made the best of an incredibly sad tragedy. Guys on the team not involved in the acccident , or directly interacting with the authorities they got all of their other equipment and their asses out of mexico fast!
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2018 at 05:51 AM

A true tragedy for everyone, especially the victims and their families....
Timinator
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2018 at 11:11 AM

Yea right, my "true colors" are showing through. BS. I help and continue to help LOTS of Mexicans in all ways. I have a house in Mexico and pay to bring a lot of stuff for the locals here. However, there is no "law" in Mexico with a set of finite rules, and until there is, I will not be abused by every Mexican official who can screw me over. Not going to happen. You'll see and you'll wipe the holier than thou attitude off your face quick when it happens to you in all your righteous glory.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2018 at 11:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
as someone who has first hand knowledge of an incident exactly like this in another race, they waited for the authorities, who follow procedure, and lock up the driver and navigator while they investigate. The team fly down a plane load of lawyers, guy was out of prison in 2 days, ended up paying for lots of specialized medical care for an injured, plus paying reparations etc.

Sounds like that is the proper procedure. Drivers and sponsors should know that this could happen and if they deem it to be an unacceptable risk, then stay out of the race.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2018 at 01:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
Its napoleonic law in play all the time in Mexico. (guilty until proven innocent)
The race was run by a off road race sanction organization with the blessing of the federal & state gov't. The risks taken by ALL involved are historically KNOWN and assumed if your anywhere in proximity or participating.
Contact the race officials and make a truthful statement. End of your responsibilities that you as a racer PAID for to happen, after the statement, its on the sanction org to do the rest, they have the insurance policy.
Its RACING, death can and will occur.
I've been road track, club racing my Porsche for over 8 years, Bad chit happens to good people, I pray in the grid every time, full commitment or go home.

There is no blessing by the federal governement and your road track racing is in the USA where laws are a lot different.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2018 at 01:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Quote: Originally posted by Timinator  
Getting out of there is exactly what I would do. I've seen what Mexico law looks like. There is no "fleeing the scene" addition to what could, but probably wasn't a crime in this case. However, once the Mexican officials get a hold of you, they'll soak you for whatever brides they can get away with. They would confiscate the truck, the tools, the person and whatever else they can get, sell, or hold for money/ransom. That's just how it is. The guys that were killed were on the race course, where they shouldn't be. But that doesn't matter if you're a US citizen involved in an accident in Mexico, you are always at fault. Always flee and let your insurance company negotiate in your behalf. It's not the US, it's not how it should be, but it is, get over it.

"Justice" on the spot would have been ugly
Bad deal all around,
but they did what I would have done in a similar situation
Had the victims been injured, I would have stayed
When they were obviously deceased it served no purpose to stay and subject yourself to further abuse.

And you had better be willing to not come back.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2018 at 01:22 PM

Yea right, my "true colors" are showing through. BS. I help and continue to help LOTS of Mexicans in all ways. I have a house in Mexico and pay to bring a lot of stuff for the locals here. However, there is no "law" in Mexico with a set of finite rules, and until there is, I will not be abused by every Mexican official who can screw me over. Not going to happen. You'll see and you'll wipe the holier than thou attitude off your face quick when it happens to you in all your righteous glory.

And if you leave the scene of an accident in all your righteous glory, you had better be willing to not come back... Talk about holier than thou.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2018 at 08:01 PM

He should have stayed. b-tch move.

Team has money. Score has a plan for this. There is insurance for this stuff.

Only exception is if his life was in danger. Then go to the nearest police head quarters.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Timinator
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2018 at 07:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

And if you leave the scene of an accident in all your righteous glory, you had better be willing to not come back... Talk about holier than thou.

In Mexico there is no additional penalty for "leaving the scene". You get the hell out and let the Insurance Company deal with it. It's not the United States or Canada, this is Mexico. I'm not saying I think it's the right way things should be done, but it's how you have to protect yourself from abuse while in Mexico.
Timinator
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2018 at 07:57 AM

If you're sitting at stop sign or light in Mexico and a taxi or any other National looses control of their car and slams into you. You're at fault. Your insurance pays for their car and injuries, you'll hardly ever see a dime to fix you or your car. If they're injured bad or killed, you're at fault still. As a foreigner, you shouldn't have been there. That's how it's viewed. Which always makes it your fault.
You want to stick around for that kind of "justice" you help yourself. I wasn't raised that kind of fool.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-18-2018 at 08:40 AM

If you're sitting at stop sign or light in Mexico and a taxi or any other National looses control of their car and slams into you. You're at fault. Your insurance pays for their car and injuries, you'll hardly ever see a dime to fix you or your car. If they're injured bad or killed, you're at fault still. As a foreigner, you shouldn't have been there. That's how it's viewed. Which always makes it your fault.
You want to stick around for that kind of "justice" you help yourself. I wasn't raised that kind of fool.

I would like to hear from Geoff at BajaBound on this. Remember, Mexico invites foreigners to tour their country, it is good for the economy. If true, your opinion is correct about getting out of there (and for most, never go back).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 5-18-2018 at 08:41 AM

It is universally viewed (if you are an American) that you are RICH , no matter how dressed down you try.
This is not only true in Mexico believe me , I am pretty well traveled.

This same view enables them to rip you off and not have a hint of remorse or wrongdoing....

They also know that " they will just buy another " and it's pretty much true.

Now I'm not complaining, simply stated a fact.
It has happened to me and will happen again, but not near as much as I have learned a lot.
It's simply part of the price for exploring strange and far off lands....

I just can't believe that a lot more bad things haven't happened to me as I love to go to the non-tourist "locals" side of towns...
Funny that the worst thing that happened to me was in Banos Ecuador. I was drugged with scopolamine and robbed by a Venezuelan woman .

Such is life.............

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2018 at 09:08 AM

There will be civil recourse in the States for the victims before there is any justice in Mexico. Can anyone say Non Disclosure Agreement.

If it was a mexican race driver, the victims would be shredded in the media for their stupidity.

Racing is life, the rest is boring. S. McQueen

Es Todo Bueno
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2018 at 12:01 PM

That is not exactly true. I've been in an accident where a Mexican ran off the hwy then back on and side swiped me. At La Rumorosa. The hwy Patrol was johnny on the spot taking the report. The kid admitted it was his fault. My Mexican insurance paid to have my truck fixed in San Diego, $6500.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2018 at 01:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I have list of banned businesses. I now add score, terrible herbst and monster energy, firms that aid and abet hit and runs and homocide,... so sad to see score allow racers to flee instead of manning up to life.

Never buy gasoline from a terrible herbst station!

well there goes the Herbst portfolio, look what you've done to Monster Energy!:O
so what do we know about this accident? everything. what do we know about what transpired after the accident?nothing.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2018 at 03:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I have list of banned businesses. I now add score, terrible herbst and monster energy, firms that aid and abet hit and runs and homocide,... so sad to see score allow racers to flee instead of manning up to life.

Never buy gasoline from a terrible herbst station!

what do we know about what transpired after the accident?nothing.

"The U.S. driver and his navigator left the scene about 15 minutes after the accident, driven away by members of their team, well before authorities arrived to investigate what happened, they said."

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/border-baja-califor...

"The number 91 Trophy Truck of Ed Herbst reportedly lost control in a set of whoops and collided with the spectators"

http://www.off-road.com/blog/2018/04/09/trophy-truck-acciden...

Photos:

https://verazinforma.com/estatal/fatal-accidente-mueren-dos-...

Sounds like the driver is at fault.

If I were king, I'd ban these races. But that's just me.

I don't see any way you could protect the spectators from drivers that are unable to control their cars.

[Edited on 5-18-2018 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2018 at 04:04 PM

alot of assumptions being made here...both SCORE and the Herbst camp being very quiet ....how do we know the Herbst team's first stop wasn't to report in with the authorities in Valle de la Trinidad? which would have been proper protocol.
and no, the driver wasn't at fault here. both the family and friends of the victims that were there aren't faulting the driver, they're questioning what happened after the fact, which I thought was what the discussion is here?

[Edited on 5-18-2018 by willardguy]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2018 at 04:15 PM

Leaving the scene of the accident within 15 minutes is proper protocol?

I certainly don't know but I doubt it.

I fault the driver because of the report he lost control of his car, which is a fundamental mistake.

[Edited on 5-18-2018 by SFandH]

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.