Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: San Felipe 250 tragedy
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2018 at 08:34 AM

“SCORE Race Team Safety Guidelines – page 3
3) If the accident occurs during race weekend, contact the Weatherman using channel 151.625 and report the accident immediately as soon as it happened. Always have clear information of where the accident happened, including Race Mile KM marker, date and time, full details of what happened. If there are injuries or fatalities, and if you should require an ambulance or rescue to be dispatched to the scene of the accident. If you are not able to contact the Weatherman and there are injuries or fatalities, contact the insurance company at one of the above numbers.
4) Do not leave the scene of the accident and especially if there are injuries or fatalities: it is against Mexican laws. Leaving the scene of the accident will only make things worse.
5) Get the support of the Insurance Company adjustor as they will assist you with Legal advice and proper representation. It is imperative that this is done immediately after the accident. Complete accident report must be filled out as soon as you finish the event but it should be reported immediately.
IMPORTANT
In case of an accident or medical emergency in Mexico, call 066. …. “

SCORE COMPETITION REGULATIONS
CR 52 RADIO EQUIPMENT
All vehicles, motos and quads are required to have a VHF radio capable of operating on SCORE (Weatherman) race frequency 151.625. Alternate to VHF radio is satellite phone capable of contacting SCORE Operations.

GL4 All entrants must report all accidents and breakdowns they may have witnessed to the Race Official in charge at the next checkpoint the contestant reaches.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-19-2018 at 08:50 AM

Wilderone,
Well, with that info, the "facts" are there....and the emotional spin put on by the hit and run defenders will be creative. :no:

Don't believe everything you think....
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2018 at 08:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
“SCORE Race Team Safety Guidelines – page 3
3) If the accident occurs during race weekend, contact the Weatherman using channel 151.625 and report the accident immediately as soon as it happened. Always have clear information of where the accident happened, including Race Mile KM marker, date and time, full details of what happened. If there are injuries or fatalities, and if you should require an ambulance or rescue to be dispatched to the scene of the accident. If you are not able to contact the Weatherman and there are injuries or fatalities, contact the insurance company at one of the above numbers.
4) Do not leave the scene of the accident and especially if there are injuries or fatalities: it is against Mexican laws. Leaving the scene of the accident will only make things worse.
5) Get the support of the Insurance Company adjustor as they will assist you with Legal advice and proper representation. It is imperative that this is done immediately after the accident. Complete accident report must be filled out as soon as you finish the event but it should be reported immediately.
IMPORTANT
In case of an accident or medical emergency in Mexico, call 066. …. “

SCORE COMPETITION REGULATIONS
CR 52 RADIO EQUIPMENT
All vehicles, motos and quads are required to have a VHF radio capable of operating on SCORE (Weatherman) race frequency 151.625. Alternate to VHF radio is satellite phone capable of contacting SCORE Operations.

GL4 All entrants must report all accidents and breakdowns they may have witnessed to the Race Official in charge at the next checkpoint the contestant reaches.

well this is what mexico says.
But Rosquillas, the civil protection chief, said that there can be extenuating circumstances in remote areas, where it can take a long time for authorities to respond, and racers involved in an accidents can become targets of angry spectators. In those cases, “I would go to the nearest police station and report the incident,” Rosquillas said. “The driver should show that he has no intention of evading the law,” he said.

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 5-19-2018 at 09:00 AM

“I would go to the nearest police station and report the incident,”

But that is NOT what they did, did they?

They skadoodled out of the country post haste..

[Edited on 5-19-2018 by Paco Facullo]

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2018 at 09:11 AM

The last place you want to go is the local police station. They are the most corrupt mfers in Mexico. The feds are a little better but not much. An army or navy base would be best but not a reality (never conveniant). They did the smart thing. This aint kansas.

[Edited on 5-19-2018 by chippy]
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2018 at 09:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
The last place you want to go is the local police station. They are the most corrupt mfers in Mexico. The feds are a little better but not much. An army or navy base would be best but not a reality (never conveniant). They did the smart thing. This aint kansas.

That is the kind of spin I am not surprised to read here....can you imagine the response if a Mexican national did a hit and run stateside?

Criminals usually rationalize and justify their behaviour....cognitive distortions abound in such environments....

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 5-19-2018 at 09:16 AM

I have to agree with ya there, chippy. ( except for the "They did the smart thing." part ) No one knows what the outcome would have been had they gone the Police station ??????

This is a vary bad situation that has NO good outcomes. Sad for all concerned.

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2018 at 09:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
“I would go to the nearest police station and report the incident,”

But that is NOT what they did, did they?

They skadoodled out of the country post haste..

thats exactly the assumption I speak of.....
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2018 at 09:21 AM

The last place you want to go is the local police station. .....This aint kansas.

Time for Chuckie to say what would happen in Kansas in a hit and run situation...

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2018 at 09:30 AM

well the desert racing community, mexico, or the herbst's has offered no details of what transpired after the accident....im sure glad bajanomad has a handle on this!:coolup:
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2018 at 10:29 AM

That's what SCORE rules say when you sign up. The insurance policy that entrants also purchase likely states something similar. And then there's basic decency and morality. In this 2013 accident, the chase car, red cross, emergency vehicle and helicopters were on the scene within 3 minutes. As in the past, SCORE will not make statements except those that are defensive to the sport and that might impact their fame and bankroll; will not assist dead drivers or other victims. The safety guidelines for spectators are online and in English. Yes, accidents happen, but when drivers deliberately run through spectator areas and their canopies, with children screaming trying to get out of their way - that's something that should not be condoned as acceptable racing protocol. And did SCORE sanction them? The only thing that was ever thought about was if they'd get a penalty assessed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZa_7LVmiNE

"Scarpuzzi’s wife and two kids were watching the race. As the mother and her daughter stepped away from their area, three trucks rolled into their encampment.
“Our son was one of the kids being frantically shuffled away by my good friend,” she said. “What happened with BJ Baldwin, Robby Gordon and even the eventual winner, Rob MacCachren, was they didn’t get back over to the marked course early enough,” said McMillin. “Rob made it through after zig-zagging around multiple spectators’ vehicles, and lost quite a bit of time. BJ and Robby tried to come back to the marked course and BJ ended up having to go over someone’s e-z up (tent).”

On another video posted from a different angle, a kid could be heard screaming in Spanish. “Several drivers drove off course and took this access road to be able to drive faster.” Scarpuzzi said. “Once they got to the end of the road they tried to get back on course and thats when BJ decided to drive through the spectator area.” BJ posted the video on his Facebook and it read in part: “Thank you to those of you that cleared the way for me and allowed me to destroy your chairs, canopies and coolers to access the virtual checkpoint. Send me a direct message proving it was your camp, and I promise to replace them with even better [link deleted] canopies, chairs and coolers as well as a pallet of drinks to fill them with.”

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 5-19-2018 at 10:50 AM

I notice the professional race teams that are also nomads are wisely keeping their distance on this one!......smart;)

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2018 at 11:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

That is the kind of spin I am not surprised to read here....can you imagine the response if a Mexican national did a hit and run states

Criminals usually rationalize and justify their behaviour....cognitive distortions abound in such environments....

I guess I should have added canada with kansas:P
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-19-2018 at 11:49 AM

It's not like this is the first time that a fatal accident has occurred during a race.

What did the racers do then. What did the authorities in Mexico do.

No way I'm believing what Chippy and others are saying that MX is so corrupted and the best bet was to flee.

And Score's policy says they are full of sh#t too.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2018 at 12:33 PM

I guess I should have added canada with kansas:P

Here ya go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hit_and_run

Canada

Hit and run is defined in Canada as failure to stop at the scene of an accident under the Criminal Code[6] and is subject to a penalty of up to 5 years in prison.[7] If bodily harm or death is caused in the crash and the prosecution can prove that the accused was aware of the bodily harm or death, the maximum penalties are up to 10 years in prison or up to life imprisonment, respectively.[8]

For a person to be convicted of failure to stop at the scene of an accident, the prosecution must prove that the accused was aware of the crash, the accused voluntarily failed to stop and render assistance and the intent for failing to stop was to evade civil or criminal liability. While the prosecution bears the traditional criminal burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt, the accused is presumed to have intended to evade civil or criminal liability if the prosecution can prove the other elements of the offence.[9] This reverse onus has been held to be a justified limit under section 1 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.[10][11]

Canadians are also required to provide their name, address and license number in writing according to the Sec. 252 (1) of the Criminal Code. Depending on the provincial law other pieces of information may be requested like: insurance number and license plate. Car Insurance is mandatory in Canada.[12]

If the accused is also convicted of other offences in relation to the crash, then courts will often make the sentence for hit and run consecutive to the penalties for the other offences,[citation needed] the rationale being that hit and run is often committed with the intent of evading criminal or civil liability.

:light:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2018 at 12:49 PM

JZ there have been a number of deaths during a SCORE race where a racer hit someone either another racer or spectator. Some left the country like Baldwin a few years back at a 500 race. Others will stop to help and someone will stay with the body. A motorcycle racer was run over by a Trophy Truck in a SF250 race, too dusty and couldn't see. As I recall the co-driver stayed and the driver went to the next check point to report it. Roger Norman ran over a motorcycle racer a few years ago before he bought SCORE. It was on the road up to Mikes. The guy lived and was a guest of Norman at the next race.
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-19-2018 at 01:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
JZ there have been a number of deaths during a SCORE race where a racer hit someone either another racer or spectator. Some left the country like Baldwin a few years back at a 500 race. Others will stop to help and someone will stay with the body. A motorcycle racer was run over by a Trophy Truck in a SF250 race, too dusty and couldn't see. As I recall the co-driver stayed and the driver went to the next check point to report it. Roger Norman ran over a motorcycle racer a few years ago before he bought SCORE. It was on the road up to Mikes. The guy lived and was a guest of Norman at the next race.

Thx for the background Tom.

Are there examples where those who stayed were mistreated by MX officials as several are suggesting in this thread?

[Edited on 5-19-2018 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 5-19-2018 at 01:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

Thx for the background Tom.

Are there examples where those who stayed were mistreated by MX officials as several are suggesting in this thread?

[Edited on 5-19-2018 by JZ]

https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/score-san-felipe-2...

https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/fysa-baja-road-dea...

[Edited on 5-19-2018 by del mar]

hermosok123
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2018 at 01:45 PM

Having had a fatality accident in Baja and subsequently been arrested I know from where I speak that this was the procedure. Granted it may have changed in 20 years. I was rear ended by a bus and pushed into an oncoming station wagon with my Suburban. Restored 69. The female driver died. I went to jail insurance had lapsed. Spent a week in the state jail PGJ holding facility while the guards attempted to extort funds from me. Was able to hire a lawyer gratis though a family friend that was also the Derechos Humanos (spelling) director in Mexicali. No food for that week. My lawyer obtained my release (no mordida) got my wrecked vehicle back and got the charges dropped. Butt, if you kill another person in a MV accident you are liable for the loss of that families member and the monetary loss that it represented. They have a table that quantifies this. Point being that until you can show and the authorities have proof that you can pay the freight and meet the court appointments then you don't get to leave custody. Its why you pay for the legal rider on the Mex insurance policies. While I don't condone their actions till you are faced with jail time its hard to know what you would do in their circumstances.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2018 at 03:01 PM

Each one of us that drives in these races faces the possibility. It is why we have insurance. If you believe that Mexico is so crooked that you may be incarcerated for life, screwed out of your life savings, and have your first born taken away, you have no business being here.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.