Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Drones Vs. Eagle
BajaBill74
Nomad

Mood: Beyond Extatic!

[*] posted on 5-15-2018 at 06:31 PM
Drones Vs. Eagle

No, I'm not talking about an aerial combat a la Red Baron. But before I get to that and people reply about drones being great for target practice, I want to tell you about the only reason I purchased the drone.

For about ten years I have driven to Mulege in August (I like heat). I spend the days at Coco beach watching birds, listening to music, taking dips in the bay, and reading my Kindle. On the hill across the road there are a large number of caves.

Because of my age and unstable legs, I couldn't even begin to climb that hill. However I'd really like to take a close look them. No, I don't expect to discover any treasures, probably just some trash left by others. So, while comfortably sitting on the beach, I'll fly the drone and check out some of the caves. Here is a picture of the caves.

Coco's  Caves.jpg - 154kB

Now for the Drones Vs. Eagle. I'm referring to the Eagle at the state line that was built with a museum and should have been a tourist attraction. I stooped at the guard gate on the West side and asked if I could take a picture over the wall. He said "No". Being the law bidding citizen that I am I continued driving South.

There is a hotel there called the Halfway Inn. It is laid out with a Quad in the middle. I could take of from there and fly just short of their wall and go just high enough so the trees don't block the view and take a good quality picture. In case they saw the drone, I'd fly south about a mile, then west a mile, then press the "Return to home" button.

What do you think of this idea?

What I'm doing at work is so secret, even I don't know what I'm doing!

One should believe in God, because even Google doesn't know everything.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-15-2018 at 09:21 PM

Since the Mexican military turned the monument to Transpeninsular Highway completion, and the underground museum, into a military base, I would guess that any photos would be illegal. I pulled over in 2016 on the east side to photo the eagle and a soldier approached me waving his arms. I drove a bit further, by the gas station and took another. I had a recent thread on the Eagle here with photos of it from 1974 and later: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=87000

Two photos from that thread, taken by me, 43 years apart:

1974:

2017:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBill74
Nomad

Mood: Beyond Extatic!

[*] posted on 5-15-2018 at 09:27 PM

David, it was that thread that made me thing "Well Dang, it was supposed to be for the people so the military is doing something wrong." That's why I'm thinking of chancing it. If they chase after it, I'll have to crash it in the middle of nowhere and cry my eyes out that I won't get pictures of the caves.

What do you think?

What I'm doing at work is so secret, even I don't know what I'm doing!

One should believe in God, because even Google doesn't know everything.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2018 at 09:31 PM

I think you should just go to Google Earth or Bing or any satellite image site and you can see right down the eagle's wings! :light:

Seriously, I don't think there is much more of the eagle than the 1970's photos showed... at least nothing to lose your drone over.

[Edited on 5-16-2018 by David K]

Eagle 28.jpg - 146kB

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 5-15-2018 at 09:47 PM

BajaBill74,

You are a rebel, and I like it !!!

Your "plan" sound solid to me. What's the most they can do ?

Take away your drone and your birthday ?

A small price to pay for such an extraordinary experience......

Me thinks, you'll get away with it..........................

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 5-15-2018 at 09:50 PM

Watch out for the heat warnings on the drone if your flying mid day. I’ll pitch in for bail money if your mission goes wrong :D
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-16-2018 at 05:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBill74  

There is a hotel there called the Halfway Inn. It is laid out with a Quad in the middle. I could take of from there and fly just short of their wall and go just high enough so the trees don't block the view and take a good quality picture. In case they saw the drone, I'd fly south about a mile, then west a mile, then press the "Return to home" button.

What do you think of this idea?

The was (still is?) a brew pub in TJ caled Paralelo 28 with their logo being an adaptation of the aguila statue,... this would be a good place to start the research for your idea....

[Edited on 5-16-2018 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-16-2018 at 08:21 AM

Sounds like fun! Another fun thing to do might be hiding contraband in your car to see if the dogs and soldiers can find it!

Call me a coward, but I believe in leaving sleeping dogs alone. :wow:

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2018 at 08:34 AM

Before the army took over the historic site (and planted the trees), this was the view from the hotel... and is the cover of a book made about the Transpeninsular Highway and its construction...

bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2018 at 08:36 AM

Do it on your return trip so you can still get the footage of your caves.

ps I've hiked to a couple of those and didn't find anything. You should be able to check out more caves than I wanted to walk to.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2018 at 09:42 AM

Good idea!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.