BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Who knew? Tourist warning only for driving infractions in Q Roo
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2018 at 06:39 AM
Who knew? Tourist warning only for driving infractions in Q Roo

I read this on the blog written by Paul who lives in Quintana Roo, Mexico:

It can be a little scary to be cruising around Mexico in a rent-a-car and see the red and blue flashing lights of a police vehicle behind you.

But wait, don’t panic yet. The police in Mexico often leave their emergency lights on when their on routine patrol, that alone doesn’t mean they want you to pull over.

That’s when you hear a single blast of the siren followed by a muffled voice in Spanish saying something indiscernible over the loudspeaker. Although you don’t speak Spanish, you’re fairly certain that the officer would like to speak to you about something and you can feel your heart rate accelerate as you pull onto the shoulder of the road.

A municipal police officer approaches your window and in broken English he asks for your driver’s license. When you hand it to him, he says that he is going to give you a ticket for speeding and that he will be keeping your license until you pay it.

Fortunately for you, you’re an avid reader of this blog and you present the officer with a copy of a regulation for the State of Quintana Roo that mandates that tourists be given warnings the first two times they’re stopped, unless the violation is serious (e.g. hit-and-run).

Just in case you didn’t already know this, Cancun and the Riviera Maya are in Quintana Roo, as well as other popular tourist destinations like Cozumel, Playa del Carmen and Tulum. Now back to our story…

The officer reads the legal mandate with a puzzled look on his face because he had never heard of this rule before, but there it is in black and white. After a moment to reflect on it (and perhaps a call to a supervisor to ask for advice), the officer returns your license and releases you from the scene.

This may seem too good to be true, but it’s not. We know a few people who have presented a copy of the regulation when they were stopped and they were subsequently released without a ticket.

The Regulation

Here is the applicable section of the regulation in its entirety:

REGLAMENTO DE TRÁNSITO DEL ESTADO DE QUINTANA ROO, ARTICULO 241: Se establece en el Estado; la Boleta de Infracción de Cortesía que la Dirección de Tránsito, en su jurisdicción respectiva aplicará exclusivamente a los Turistas que infrinjan el Reglamento de Tránsito. La Boleta de Infracción de Cortesía no implica costo alguno al que se impone, siendo su objetivo señalar la violación cometida y exhortar a conducir cumpliendo con las reglas de Tránsito. La Sanción de Cortesía es aplicada hasta en dos ocasiones al mismo vehículo y/o conductor y no procede en los casos de actos y omisiones graves contrarios a lo que dispone el presente Reglamento.

English: TRAFFIC REGULATIONS OF THE STATE OF QUINTANA ROO, ARTICLE 241: It is established in the state; the Courtesy Traffic Ticket that the Dirección de Tránsito, in its respective jurisdiction will apply exclusively to tourists that violate the Traffic Regulations. The courtesy traffic ticket will not cost the person anything because the objective is to point out the violation committed and encourage the person to obey the traffic rules. This courtesy will be applied on two occasions to the same vehicle and/or driver and will not be appropriate for cases involving serious acts or omissions contrary to that which is stipulated in the current regulations.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 5-16-2018 at 07:33 AM

While I didn't need it, I wish I would have had that a few weeks ago! I drove from Cancun Airport to Tulum (then all around the Yucatan) but the only terrifying part of the drive was that stretch of road. People drive twice the speed limit and like crazy people. Was never so happy to get out of dodge! Being an old gringa, didn't get pulled over.
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 5-16-2018 at 07:36 AM

Yea, I did and the supervisor asked where it came from and I said I copied off the computer, he laughed,handed it back and said " nice try"..
I paid the $400 peso fine at the station........

I hear the whales song
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2018 at 10:32 AM

That seems really odd, but there you have it!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
yumawill
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2018 at 11:27 AM

Can we get one of those for Baja? Tecate and Tia Juana especially? I'm tired of looking like todays lunch menu every day for the Flat Foots south of the Border.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.