Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fly fishin Baja Sur
fishinsteve
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2018 at 08:44 AM
Fly fishin Baja Sur

Hello Fellow Nomads,
I have been traveling Baja for over 30 years and I have never driven all the way to Cabo. Well next month that will Change. No more talk! Its time to get it done. I have gotten as far down as Loreto on the sea of Cortez side and the top of mag bay on the pacific. I have fished most places in between with the exception of going out to Bahia Tortugas. I plan on starting at La Paz and working my way around the tip of Cabo in a clockwise manner. I'm interested in checking out East Cape, Todos Santos and the lower two thirds of Mag Bay. Plans are very flexible. I will be fishin with fly rods, driving a White Jeep Wrangler with a yellow kayak on top. It will be me and my very well trained Blue Healer named Wyatt. Named after Wyatt Earp. He loves Adventure He told me:tumble: So if you see us on the road or around camp stop by and say hi. If your in one of these areas and want to get together and fish let me know. I will be on the road from about 6-7 thru 6-28.

I'm proud to be a member of Baja Nomads. I don't post much because of the politics but you can't count on me to help any fellow nomad if at all possible. Enjoy your day and get back to beating each other up;)

Steve
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 5-23-2018 at 09:03 AM

" He loves Adventure He told me " :tumble: ,,,,,,, I'm darn well sure he did !!!! HaHaHa

Sounds like a fantastic trip... Please make an exception and post a trip report if possible ?
A LOT of folks here would love to hear about that kind of fishing adventure....

[Edited on 5-23-2018 by Paco Facullo]

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-23-2018 at 09:05 AM

Inland fishing adventure.......................

http://www.espn.com/outdoors/fishing/news/story?page=f_fea_A...
fishinsteve
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2018 at 09:27 AM

I'm aware of the trout in Baja. I also know they tend to grow a illegal green leafy substance in that area that I don't care to run into. Sounds like a great adventure and I know of a few guys that have explored the area. I've been told there is a strain of golden trout up there. California's state fish. I will post a trip report this time.

Thanks for the reply

[Edited on 5-23-2018 by fishinsteve]
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2018 at 09:38 AM

Lance Peterson is a fly fishing guide on the East Cape. I happened to be close by a couple of years ago when he caught his first wahoo on the fly fishing on the Ridge outside Mag Bay. You should look him up when you are in Los Barriles. I'm sure he could put you on some fish.

DSC02356.JPG - 102kB DSC02358.JPG - 100kB DSC02359.JPG - 91kB DSC02360.JPG - 81kB DSC02366.JPG - 93kB

[Edited on 5-23-2018 by bill erhardt]
fishinsteve
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2018 at 10:10 AM

Wahoo on the fly sounds like fun. I have only caught one wahoo in my life, on the troll 68#. Great eating. I would like to look him up. He's probably booked cuz this is prime season coming up for what I can see.

Did a tuna trip last year and caught lots of tuna on the fly. Done with that now. Pretty much the same on a fly rod. Get there head pointed up and reel them in.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2018 at 12:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishinsteve  
I've been told there is a strain of golden trout up there.

Mainland side for the "Mexican" golden trout. Only Nelson's rainbows in Baja. Just got back from the SPM fishing for them.

The golden trout in CA are actually a strain of rainbow and will inter-breed.

John

[Edited on 5-23-2018 by John Harper]
fishinsteve
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2018 at 01:04 PM

Hi John I knew that you were in the area recently. Was It good?

[Edited on 5-23-2018 by fishinsteve]
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2018 at 05:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishinsteve  
Hi John I knew that you were in the area recently.

Sent you a U2U with some info.

John

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.