Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-29-2018 at 12:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  
Ford's and Chevy's :biggrin::biggrin:

Chevy crushes Ford.

I didn't know that they made portable generators!

:lol::lol:

How about chainsaws' ... I've got a Husqvarna .. any Stihl fans out there

Got both .. Yamaha and Honda, only used twice .. both worked

[Edited on 5-29-2018 by wessongroup]

[Edited on 5-29-2018 by wessongroup]
Timinator
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2018 at 04:37 AM

Anything you plug in or put gas in it isn't something you should EVER buy from Harbor Freight. Yea, a few of you but something that works. Good for you. I own a working farm, if you want to keep it working you don't use tools from HF.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2018 at 11:18 AM

2 Stihls.

Gens:

Generac 14k watt, 20 circuits, Home
2 Honda 2000i (run parallel)
Onan 7k
Onan 4k

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2018 at 11:41 AM

I just hardwired a toggle switch on my eu2000, I don't know if the kits mention it but after you run it out of gas start it up with the choke on to empty the choke circuit, also you'll notice there will still be fuel in the bowl so if you're storing it for awhile...i'd still empty the bowl;)
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-29-2018 at 11:52 AM

i'd leave it FULL of gas
and start it once and a while to keep the juices running

you wont need it at 10am where you have 8 hours of sunlight to "screw around" with it to get it running

you'll NEED it at 9pm when there is NO electricity and it's DARK!!!

have it ready to start and USE!!!

forget draining the gas..be prepared

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Gscott
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2018 at 09:49 PM
Smarter tools?

Costco used to sell the 'smarter tools' 2000w generator for under 600 bucks. Yamaha engine. Can run 2 in parallel just like the honda. But the Yamaha has a fuel gauge and you can shut off the fuel, not possible with the Honda. Honda is notorious for carb issues after short storage, since it is impossible to run it out of fuel without draining the carb. I have a Honda 2000, have the Smarter Tools at work. If I had it to do over again I would buy the Yamaha or Smartertools for myself.
SunDevil
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 07:15 AM

Last time I looked the Honda and Yamaha inverter generators were the top choices. Inverter generators are much quieter and they throttle up and down to match demand.

Decide what models satisfy your needs taking into account the peak load from when your AC starts up.

It's not hard to get a top rated generator for a good price if you are flexible in what you want and are willing to buy a used one. You don't have to be an expert to avoid the duds.

Set up some craigslist searches. You will get an email when someone lists their generator. Check the photos to verify the model and condition and then call to the owner.

Used Honda prices will be higher than comparable Yamaha, maybe for good reason, but the Yamaha we use is very quiet and good on gas.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 02:39 PM

Edit: link https://m.costco.com/Champion-DUAL-FUEL-2800wt-Running--3100...

I paid less than $700 2.5 years ago for this genny withou flex fuel and electric start at costco. It literally 2-3 decibels lower than the honda for more than half off. If it fails costco will take it back, no questions asked, not that I would do it. I have 187 hours on it hasnt missed a beat!

I can confirm the honda adapters (gas cap and oil drain) linked above dont fit champion and now have a kit for whoever sends $12.00 to cover shipping! Call it an early Xmas present.

[Edited on 6-1-2018 by woody with a view]

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 04:22 PM

https://m.costco.com/Champion-DUAL-FUEL-2800wt-Running--3100...

The propane option is a winner!
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 05:08 AM

Here is my final input on this topic. Consumer Reports just rated 2KW inverter type generators. Results are as follows;

1) Honda EU2000 - Score of 77, costs $1,000
2) Westinghouse Gen2000 - Score of 76, costs $520.00
3) Preddator62523 - Score of 72, costs $500.00

I have the Honda, but would at least consider the others if I were shopping for one now. .:light::light:
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2018 at 12:38 PM

Ok, one more post here. I installed the kit referenced below on my EU 2000, and it works great!

Cheap and easy solution to run the gas out of the carburetor when shutting off Honda eu2000i-

https://hutchmountain.com/products.html#!/Bad-Gas-Ethanol-Gu
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 8-8-2018 at 08:12 AM

Don't get the impression Hondas are carefree and always reliable. I have a EU2000 I bought in 2005. Haven't used it a ton because I also had an EU3000 at the same time. On many occasions I've had trouble starting the 2000. And yes, I do drain my carb, change the oil and plug, and run fuel treatment through it regularly. The problems I had, the simple ones, are usually the sparkplug tip is fouled with a piece of carbon preventing a spark. I've also had the on/off switch not work and required me to take it apart to clean it. This happened again my last trip and I temporarily disconnected the switch and just let it run out of gas to turn it off. The most difficult to diagnose and repair was the intake valve being stuck in the guide due to carbon and sticky fuel gunk. That's the best way I can describe it. Basically, the valve stem and the valve guide develop a buildup of sticky stuff that causes the valve to stick open (will not seat in the head) and not develop compression in the cylinder. Search youtube and you will find plenty of instances of this. The fix is to remove valve cover and valve keepers, retainer, and spring, and spray the valve stem with a carbon cleaner such as BRP engine tuner. And start moving the valve up and down until the gunk is removed and the valve moves freely. I've had to do this twice so far. Something a non-mechanic owner will probably never figure out themselves. So Hondas have not been carefree and reliable in my experience. But I still use them and love them.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2018 at 08:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos  
The fix is to remove valve cover and valve keepers, retainer, and spring, and spray the valve stem with a carbon cleaner such as BRP engine tuner. And start moving the valve up and down until the gunk is removed and the valve moves freely. I've had to do this twice so far. Something a non-mechanic owner will probably never figure out themselves. So Hondas have not been carefree and reliable in my experience. But I still use them and love them.

Not a job for the average joe, for sure. Not many have a valve spring compressor just laying on the workbench. Interesting, I wonder what's causing the buildup? What fuel stabilizer are you using?

John

[Edited on 8-8-2018 by John Harper]
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 8-8-2018 at 09:27 AM

my eu2000 has always been a little cantankerous.....how about running some Seafoam through it? and maybe some in the crankcase?
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 8-8-2018 at 09:44 AM

I always run some seafoam in the gas. And the valve spring is very light. Not at all difficult to compress for assembly/disassembly. I just use a combination wrench and compress it by hand, then remove the keepers, remove the wrench, and remove the retainer and spring. If you have the piston at tdc the valve won't fall in. I've also read recommendations to use the pull cord to put the piston at the top of the stroke so the valve is closed between use and this prevents it from building up the residues on the valve stem and guide and sticking open.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2018 at 05:44 PM

I also had the stuck valve, although I think mine was an exhaust valve. Anyway I now use just a touch of 2 cycle oil with each fuel fill up and have not had a problem since I started doing that. It seems to lube the valve stems and keeps everything moving well.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 8-8-2018 at 08:01 PM

I wouldn't be opposed to Seafoam in the the crankcase, run it, drain it then an oil change. yes/no?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-8-2018 at 08:11 PM

Larry, please define a “touch.”

Pisto, for vehicles they say to run it 500 miles in the crankcase and then drain and refill with clean oil. How many hours equal 500 miles?

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 07:15 AM

Woody
I try to keep it mixed between 50 to 100/1. Not easy to do so usually just a cap full.
I would guess 500 miles is equivalent to some where near 10 hours.
To be clear I put the 2 cycle oil in the fuel tank not the crank case.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2018 at 04:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
I wouldn't be opposed to Seafoam in the the crankcase, run it, drain it then an oil change. yes/no?

Modern oils have detergents, should not be necessary. My can just says to add to oil, but I have never heard of anyone doing that. Of course, not a lot of people I know use Seafoam in SoCal either, unless you have a motorcycle. Not a lot of winter storage of mowers, no snowblowers, etc.

I actually thought you might use it only as an oil change flush, but it appears to be a general additive for the oil as well. No thanks. Just get the motor up operating temps (to purge moisture) and then drain the oil.

I definitely use Seafoam in my Sportster, but only in the fuel system.

John

[Edited on 8-10-2018 by John Harper]
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.