BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Boat Trailering 101: How NOT to back up or launch.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

lol.gif posted on 5-23-2018 at 03:00 PM
Boat Trailering 101: How NOT to back up or launch.

https://www.facebook.com/Fishesota/videos/2099071610308753/

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fixtrauma
Nomad

Mood: Monomaniac

lol.gif posted on 5-23-2018 at 03:24 PM
Popcorn and a lawnchair!

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2018 at 03:32 PM

How about one loading in high wind and a strong tide flowing? That can be entertaining also.
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2018 at 03:37 PM

Looks like the marina in La Ribera!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-23-2018 at 03:48 PM

I once watched a river guide drag his truck and trailer into the Kenai river in Alaska.

It was a private access to a swift portion of the river, and he was launching alone. His plan was to get just the prop well into the water, then power off the trailer, but the brakes, or park didn't hold!

I don't know how they ever got it out of the river. The last I saw it was a quarter mile downstream, on a bend of the river with no vehicle access!

[Edited on 5-23-2018 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2018 at 04:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
How about one loading in high wind and a strong tide flowing? That can be entertaining also.

Worse experience I ever had loading a boat was due to this.

I was putting my 32 cruiser on the trailer by myself at the Ventura marina. Docked the boat, put the trailer in the water. Put the boat on the trailer perfectly in 20+ mph winds. Jumped down. And holy ***, turned around and the boat was titled completely sideways on the trailer about ready to fail off.

There were 20 foot high swells with a very long period outside the marina break wall. It was causing a major surge in the water levels at the ramp. The water rouse several feet after I got it on the trailer and the wind was now blowing it over. I was holding the bow rail yelling at the boat, don't you tip over got dammit!

I unhooked it and pushed it off and pulled myself up the anchor pulpit. Called some friends to help me. Put the trailer in the water less and drove that b#tch up on it tight and pulled it out fast.

Was hung-over af at the time. Bad day.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2018 at 08:32 PM

That’s the key. Trailer in minimum water ( front part of trailer fenders just out of water) and ram the boat up on the trailer under plenty of power. The trailer sideboards will keep it straight. You may have to raise the prop(s) up a little to clear in shallower water.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

lol.gif posted on 5-24-2018 at 10:23 AM

Been there and done that many times:lol:....I was a real retard when it came down to back-ups with my boats!

I and my new wife moved to Long Bch many years with little or no money in our pockets and were always looking for cheap forms of entertainment.one day while walking by the ramp at the marina we found, it was the weekend and the ramp was really busy:lol:

Total chaos! is the only way I can describe it...…..what fun it was just sitting there watching,to much beer and hot sun and add in a boat ramp was just to funny.

We did this many times on Sunday, cheap fun and many laughs,saw several fights, always forgetting to put the plug in,cars ending up in the water...…..back in the good old days:lol:
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2018 at 01:48 PM

Reminds me of the decades ago salmon openers in HMB. ..--

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.