Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: EPN to Trump: ‘Mexico will never pay for a wall’
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 10:16 AM

Lets say "James" comes to the USA illegally with his 3 kids and wife.
James hangs out at the local hardware store looking for day to day construction work. His wife stays home watching their young children. James makes $12 per hour 25 hours a week.
James makes $1,200 per month. He spends all of that to survive. (Food, gas, rent, etc.) Suppose the sales tax on that is 10 percent. James would pay $120 per month in taxes. When James' children enroll in school, the school will NOT check their status as legal citizens. They will get a free education, free lunch, etc. How is this scenario not a net negative for the USA? Please explain how this type of situation is sustainable for any country.
I am all for legal immigration.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 10:19 AM

David K- Today you are on point. Mexico has ALL of the tools and resources to be extremely prosperous. Corruption will forever handicap that ability if allowed to persist. Much like the corruption of our system in the USA deteriorates our ability to sustain what we have.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 10:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
They will get a free education, free lunch, etc. How is this scenario not a net negative for the USA?

Nothing is "sustainable" forever, not even your precious "tax cuts." You think educating and feeding children is a "net negative" for our country? Financially, perhaps. Morally, not at all. I'm sure Jesus would strongly agree with your outlook. Screw those little kids.

If you want to save some real money, let's cut our senseless wars on other countries and maybe trim the bloated defense budget. Or, maybe we should just balance it on the backs of poor children, as you suggest?

John

[Edited on 6-1-2018 by John Harper]
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 10:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
They will get a free education, free lunch, etc. How is this scenario not a net negative for the USA?

Nothing is "sustainable" forever, not even your precious "tax cuts." You think educating and feeding children is a "net negative" for our country? Financially, perhaps. Morally, not at all. I'm sure Jesus would strongly agree with your outlook. Screw those little kids.

If you want to save some real money, let's cut our senseless wars on other countries and maybe trim the bloated defense budget. Or, maybe we should just balance it on the backs of poor children, as you suggest?

John

You are taking a lot of liberty with guessing my political viewpoints. However, if you think about it a little more... Jesus wouldn't agree to stealing would he? I don't think so. On an aside- I have seen evidence of starvation in many parts of the world. Never have I seen any widespread evidence of that coming from Mexico.

Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 10:42 AM

John Harper...You are 100% correct!

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 10:46 AM

John Harper & Terry28

How much of YOUR money did you donate to help those less fortunate around the world this year? BE HONEST
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 10:51 AM

Please explain how this type of situation is sustainable for any country.

Out of 100 people, 96 or 97 are legal residents. Undocumented immigrants represent 3 to 4 percent of the population. And only 1/2 of them are Mexican. So 1 or 2 people out of 100 are undocumented Mexicans.

Do you really think that's a huge problem? I don't. This whole immigration issue is much to do about not much. But it is an emotional issue that plays upon people's racial attitudes and gives politicians a method of diverting people's attention from the more significant issues facing the country.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/04/27/5-facts-abou...

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 10:52 AM

I don't agree that it is a racial issue. It is a financial issue.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 10:56 AM

If your 3-4 percent number is accurate, You would find no problem donating 3-4 percent of your income and net worth to help those in need. But I am sure you already are doing more than that. I bet you are just trying to motivate those that are less giving than you already are. Thank you for that.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 11:25 AM

Lets say "James" comes to the USA illegally with his 3 kids and wife.
James hangs out at the local hardware store looking for day to day construction work. His wife stays home watching their young children. James makes $12 per hour 25 hours a week.
James makes $1,200 per month. He spends all of that to survive. (Food, gas, rent, etc.) Suppose the sales tax on that is 10 percent. James would pay $120 per month in taxes. When James' children enroll in school, the school will NOT check their status as legal citizens. They will get a free education, free lunch, etc. How is this scenario not a net negative for the USA? Please explain how this type of situation is sustainable for any country.
I am all for legal immigration.

Lets use your absurd example to something more realistic here in the US with American citizens, because what you describe is a typical "Walmart" worker all over the US making minimum wages, and because they can't pay all their bills,so they supplement their Walmart slave wages with food stamps, and since Walmart, doesn't offer health insurance they put in for Obamacare free or low cost health insurance, and since these Walmart workers, are not taxed on a Federal level, their kids are a burden to the school system.

Now tell me how this system is sustainable for any country?

I'm for corporations that contribute and help sustain any country.

Of course we can't deport American citizens, working at Walmart" but we can make corporations like Walmart" to pull their own weight, and end corporate welfare, that's a much bigger problem than public assistance for poor people.

From Forbes: "Walmart Workers Cost Taxpayers $6.2 Billion In Public Assistance"

BTW, immigrants, any kind of immigrants have always been a net gain to a country they immigrate too, and that continues to be the case.

I also laugh when nativists claim how they love legal immigrants, and it's only illegal immigrants they hate. Yeah right. I wish I had a dollar for every time I hear this from a nativist.

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 11:41 AM

Joe Just Joe-
Your race baiting is a disappointment.
First, you have no idea of my immigration status.
Second, I don't "hate" anyone.
Third, your blanket statements are what is absurd here. (ANY kind of immigrants have ALWAYS been a net gain). That is not true
Lastly, I agree that Walmart is not the be all and end all in regards to employers. However, Walmart clearly is an economic driver for the USA.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 01:21 PM

John Harper & Terry28

How much of YOUR money did you donate to help those less fortunate around the world this year? BE HONEST

Not sure the exact amount, but as a US and CA taxpayer, my taxes support all US international programs, the United Nations, our military, foreign aid programs, etc. They all do work in other countries, don't they? Also, I am a public high school teacher, so lots of my time is spent with migrant children.

BTW, how much did you donate? How many children have you helped educate or provide guidance to over, say, the last 20 years as I have? You do realize teachers spend almost $900 a year of their own money in their classrooms? It's been on the news lately, if you pay attention.

John

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 01:24 PM

I don't agree that it is a racial issue. It is a financial issue.

As I said, cut where the fat is. Defense spending. Or, massive corporate welfare to agriculture, Walmart, etc. as JJJ provide examples of.

Who the hell wants to take over a country with no morals anyway? We are not worth defending if we turn our backs on moral leadership in the world.

John

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 01:30 PM

Jesus wouldn't agree to stealing would he?

Would you steal to feed your starving child? What would Jesus say?

If you define paying taxes as stealing, then it is a sin. Why don't we just abolish all taxation, and pray for a miracle to build our roads, bridges, schools, hospitals, and military. Gonna take lots of prayer. Or, maybe rich people can fund the military, since it protects their wealth more than the rest of ours combined.

As Jesus said, "render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's (taxes) and unto God that which is God's (your soul)?"

John

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 01:38 PM

WOW! Lotsa "Holier than thou" in those rants....!!!!

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 01:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
WOW! Lotsa "Holier than thou" in those rants....!!!!

Yes, and I'm an atheist as well. It's amazing how many non-religious folks actually "get" the word of Jesus more than the "so called" devout among us.

John

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 02:23 PM

John Harper- I do appreciate your service to the children as a teacher. We disagree on this topic but probably have more in common than not. I was referring to your discretionary spending. Not the money that you were compelled to give through taxation. Also, teaching is a paid profession that is not forced upon anyone. It is a choice. Possibly a calling. In any event, it is NOT volunteerism. It is a paid profession and like many other professions it requires long hours from time to time. That is just life.
John- you were the first to invoke Jesus in this topic... unnecessarily...especially for a self described atheist.

Back on topic- Build the wall or don't. That is out of my control.

[Edited on 6-1-2018 by Tioloco]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 05:26 PM
Feeding the Needy

Between home and our year-long trailer camping destination, we contribute around $125-$150 monthly feeding those in need.

Squirrels, Raccoons, Coyotes, birds, etc.

And, they seem to appreciate it.

The squirrels and birds, anyway.

The raccoons and coyotes in the mountains are nocturnal visitors so we don't see them often.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 05:30 PM

Oh come on, you don't spend that much feeding flea-bitten varmints do you?

If so, buy your varmint food on the fun side of the wall, it's cheaper.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2018 at 06:24 PM

John- you were the first to invoke Jesus in this topic... unnecessarily...especially for a self described atheist.

Your critique is valid, mr. tio. I used the most common metaphor for what all religions basically preach. Maybe Ghandi would have been a better choice for my arguments. I appreciate your comments.

John
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.