Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: smoked tuna
Annie T.
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2005 at 03:03 PM
smoked tuna

Hello all,
In La Paz we had smoked tuna in two appetizer dishes. One was almost like a fresh salsa and the other was a creamy dip. They both had the most incredible flavors. Any help on ingredients from any of you gourmets out there? Annie T.:smug::smug:

Live, love and be happy.
Germanicus
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2005 at 03:32 PM

well, you can buy that smoked tuna @ CCC or Leys
It's cheap (packed in 1/2 kg packages) and just owsome gooooood.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2005 at 04:00 PM
Tuna Dip??

I have done smoked salmon dips tho I haven't tried tuna.... will have to wait till summer. Our tuna landings gets bigger every year. A few years back the politically suppressed fishermen were actually giving away their tuna from the back of pickup trucks here in Newport.... the result of a glut and the inability to process because the big corp (Pacific Seafood Grp) wanted to keep their profit margin high. Pretty standard stuff only that time they wouldn't purchase any tuna at any price. God love em. And when you have a monopoly what can you do.
try this:

soften (2) 4 oz cream cheese or neufatchel
add teaspoon fresh ground garlic
add 1/4 cup white wine
add teaspoon ground horseradish
blend thoroughly
add handful of small pieces smoked fish
stir in or blend to desired consistency
dip with homemade tortilla chips.
mmmmmmmmmm
Annie T.
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2005 at 09:05 AM

Thanks to you both. We know the stuff here is expensive, but we'll support Pacific Seafood till we get down to La Paz next year. The recipe sounds pretty close to the mark. We'll try it. Thanks again.

Live, love and be happy.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

thumbdown.gif posted on 3-7-2005 at 12:12 PM
Pac Seafood Grp

:?::?::?:
I have never heard anyone talk well of Pacific Seafoods. Except maybe their
own executives. I will never buy product from them and haven't for 7 years. For many reasons. We try to support our fishermen thru other distributors or if they have the proper license, right off their boat...
akbear
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2005 at 06:25 PM
Smoked Tuna Quesadillas

Annie T, Try making these for appetizers:
Cover a flour tortilla with pepper jack cheese, flaked smoked tuna, chopped green onions, salsa & cilantro. Cover with another tortilla & heat on med. heat til cheese is almost melted, flip over & finish melting. Remove and let cool a min., then cut in pie shapes. Serve with fresh salsa !!

[Edited on 3-8-2005 by akbear]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-8-2005 at 10:23 PM

thanks sharks=

tomorrow is the ob farmers market and i think i'll procure a bit 'o smoked tuna and sample your recipe.

and on a related note=

i gotta charcoal/smoker that was given to me but have no idea how to use it (to smoke a chunk of fish, let's say.. any one have a quik tip on how to put this thing to good use.?

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 12:00 AM
I wood

I would be careful with that kind of smoker. Problem being excessive heat which turns fish into cardboard. If it came with a small cast iron box for the chips(i use apple and alder) you may be able to pull it off. Follow instructions. If none, all u want is smoldering wood, the cooler the better. Soak fish in a brine solution for 4-8 hrs. There are many recipes for flavor but I most often just lightly brush w/ olive oil and let the smoke do the trick. It normally7 takes 8-10 hrs to smoke a med sized tuna or salmon 10-14 lbs. I usually cut the fish into big roast type pieces before curing in brine. If you have the time to monitor your fish you can keep the heat down. The best smokers have an electric element that slowly burns and smokes. Make sure not to give it to much air or else it will get very hot. Cold smoked fish is much better in my opinion.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 12:39 AM
I wood

I would be careful with that kind of smoker. Problem being excessive heat which turns fish into cardboard. If it came with a small cast iron box for the chips(i use apple and alder) you may be able to pull it off. Follow instructions. If none, all u want is smoldering wood, the cooler the better. Soak fish in a brine solution for 4-8 hrs. There are many recipes for flavor but I most often just lightly brush w/ olive oil and let the smoke do the trick. It normally7 takes 8-10 hrs to smoke a med sized tuna or salmon 10-14 lbs. I usually cut the fish into big roast type pieces before curing in brine. If you have the time to monitor your fish you can keep the heat down. The best smokers have an electric element that slowly burns and smokes. Make sure not to give it to much air or else it will get very hot. Cold smoked fish is much better in my opinion. Hey, I used to surf Sunset Cliffs on our way to K-38.
Annie T.
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2005 at 09:54 AM

Sharksbaja, I was being somewhat sarcastic in my comment about Pacific seafoods. I have heard before about them. Usually I get my tuna from friends, etc. Thanks again for the input.
Akbear, those quesadilas make my mouth water. Now my shirt is all slobbery........ Thanks. Annie T.

[Edited on 3-9-2005 by Annie T.]

Live, love and be happy.
BajaHawk
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2005 at 06:30 PM

Try smoking your own fish, it's very easy with a charcoal grill!

Dry bine:

Mix 1 part salt & two parts sugar (brown is better than white, but white works)

Cover/bury your fish in the mixture for four hours, in the cooler.

Rinse the fish, after four hours. Pat it dry, cook it.

Indirrect grilling:

Get a pile of coals ready. Approximately 2-4 cups worth of coals for a small BBQ. Dump around 1/2 cup of wood chips on the hot coals. (Apple or pecan chips are nice, possibly hard to find in Baja, mesquite will do)

Cook your fish on the grill a few inches away from the coals, not dirrectly on top of them.

A long cook time with a low temp will keep your fish nice and moist. Check the fish frequently until you get a feel for heat/cooking time.

This will produce a nice moist piece of smoked fish. It will not preserve it. You will need to keep the leftovers cool, if there are any leftovers that is.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-18-2005 at 06:43 PM

the trick to using a BBQ is to keep the heat down to under 130 degrease. also I like to soak the wood chips for 1 hour before I use theme. also if you substitute molasses or Honey for the sugar it will seal the fish and keep it more moist.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-18-2005 at 08:02 PM

any people, i will seriously attack this smoker issue wed or thurs.

any more ideas?

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-18-2005 at 08:22 PM

Ok. Heres how I do it. In a ziplock bag soak overnight in Terriaki, brown sugar, salt, and crushed garlic. I do this by just pouring what I think is right. Smoking. I have a smoker that has a pan for charcoal and above that a pan with water. While the charcoal is starting I go and cut small 3-4 inch pecies of green mesquite which I put on top to make the smoke. This workes for most any fish my preference is sierra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.