Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  11
Author: Subject: Murder in Bay of LA
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 02:21 PM

I liked the part where he sez it doesn't matter because it didn't happen in Baja Sur.....

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 02:50 PM

BCS?

https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=homicides+baja+california...

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 04:34 PM

Amazing how this thread devolved into DK becoming the 'target', defending the indefensible, and making it all about him. Reminds me of a 3 Stooges ditty:

Me, me me....
Me, my my,
Me my mickey my, me, I, I,
Mickey me my I, I, I,
Mickey me, my, I.

.....or sumpin' to that effect.

Anyay, the news hit on the internet today, 3 early this morning by 3 different outlets, and this one now on msn from Fox:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/06/05/american-couple-shot...

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 05:34 PM

I've been on the Baja bandwagon for over 30 years. Not anymore. These folks are us.

Very sad.

[Edited on 6-6-2018 by SFandH]

[Edited on 6-6-2018 by BajaNomad]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 05:38 PM

When they start killing people for profit is the beginning of the end. Cartels killing each other for cartel business if for profit. Don’t go there. Blasting two people for their property is BS and if the authorities cant get a grip on this..... Hoping for good news in an hour or so!

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 05:54 PM

If the Mexican Police have some suspects, unlike in the USA they WILL talk very quickly. They have their very effective interrogation methods.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 06:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
The reason for extra concern is that this type of violence is entirely new to small Baja communities like BOLA. ...

My wife and I have agreed that we're no longer going to spend a night in our RV at Rancho Santa Ynez nor any other remote place while driving the peninsula.

Yes, shocking because of unusual type of crime, and in the area not known for violent crimes. Killing people for property is hard to wrap your mind around, anywhere. They don't usually do it.

Catavina aka Santa Inez is relatively safe, IMO. Half a dozen campers, many with old-ish trucks and/or no boats, parked in the open - not the best odds for highway gangs. The town itself has no addicts or dealers, too small.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 07:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
If the Mexican Police have some suspects, unlike in the USA they WILL talk very quickly. They have their very effective interrogation methods.

Or maybe they are a scapegoat.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 07:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

Catavina aka Santa Inez is relatively safe, IMO. Half a dozen campers, many with old-ish trucks and/or no boats, parked in the open - not the best odds for highway gangs. The town itself has no addicts or dealers, too small.

Dont be naive. Catavina has addicts. Every town has addicts. Human nature to abuse drugs.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 07:55 PM

Goat, what an addict would do in a town of a few dozen people and practically no tourists? He must be smoking a cow dung, to support his habit there.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 08:00 PM

Places like Cataviña, passers-through camping I believe are safe. These people were slaughtered for being ''Haves'' with a 20' boat that brings a high value target, and probably watched and stalked for a while. They were sedentary and high target. It was a robbery gone bad by bad robbers. Sad sign of the times methinks. I'd be more worried at home with a target than on the road and travelling.

That being said, Baja has now evolved into the meth and cartel world. It's not the Americano's fault; Mexico has now evolved into its' own sub-culture of crime, violence and drugs. It's what it is; no going back after Pandora wanders. Get used to it, folks. Ain't gonna get fixed, ain't gonna go backwards now... the new reality of Baja.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 08:09 PM

Goat, what an addict would do in a town of a few dozen people and practically no tourists? He must be smoking a cow dung, to support his habit there.

The Catavina "Commandante" was taken out there (actually while driving to El Rosario) by hitmen last year and it was not because there are no drugs.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 08:19 PM

Rts - wow... things have really changed...
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2018 at 05:10 AM

Rts - wow... things have really changed...

Yes, things have changed over the years, and not for the better. It would not surprise me if the US State Department further downgrades Baja's travel advisory status and the DoD restricts any leisure travel of military personnel, especially if another one of these tragedies occurs. We'll see how I feel about our next trip coming up in July where me, the wife, my mom and dog will be hanging out for about 2 months. I'm sure we'll be just fine, but I will definitely be more aware of my surroundings and on a higher security posture.
azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2018 at 07:54 AM

BB has got it right. Mexico now has a horrific problem with meth, which is being offered on every street, courtesy mostly of the La Nueva Generacion cartel. It is destroying families in Baja and many parts of Mexico.
Being under the influence of meth tends to make people do crazy things they would not do otherwise.

I feel so much for this couple and their families.

BTW, I just returned to US about a month ago, drove alone the entire penisula, no problems, but I drive an older , crummy looking Toyota to avoid being a possible target.
We are all saddened by the changes in beloved Baja, but as BB says, it's not going to go back to what it was...
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2018 at 07:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Does anyone know how long it took the police to arrive? I heard a rediculous number but would like to hear from someone present.

Woody
That's a hard question to answer because it depends on when someone was able to get through on ch 16 to the police. I got down to the scene about 10 minutes after it happened and the police showed up maybe 5 minutes later and basically just kept onlookers away from the crime scene, the police didn't go into the house while I was there.
Just to clear up one fact, yes the boat was found on the beach, but it was still on the trailer and it appeared that the thieves had tried to tow the boat away but made a wrong turn and ended up on the beach by accident. My guess is that they were not real familiar with the area so maybe they weren't locals or in their panic to escape just got confused. Just speculation on my part. Their vehicle got stuck in the sand and they had to unhook the boat to so they could make their escape.
Very bad situation down here. More details will be made public as time goes on.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2018 at 08:45 AM

Thanks for the update Larry.
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 6-6-2018 at 08:50 AM

We sold our place at Alfonsina's after 30 years there because we got too old to maintain it buy also because it is apparent that the crime of the cities is being imported to the formerly safe and pristine boonies. Sad!

Baja will stop being a destination for North Americanos and Canadians as the word on these crimes and security problems gets out.
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2018 at 09:13 AM

IT APPEARS, these nice folks were targeted for their stuff and the way it happened is analogous (to me) with a stateside version of a carjacking. This means, the bad guys thought this kinda chit can take place in this locale, the folks were targeted, they had a chance to pull it off, felt the level of violence was needed and worst is they thought they could get away with it.
Best get some rope, a truck, find them M**********RS, they might last a mile trying to keep up. :(
Time for some Detroit style justice:mad: says this guy from Gary, IN
Just another day in the hood:barf:

Es Todo Bueno
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2018 at 10:05 AM

I love this - ordinary people hearing it on Ch16, arriving some time later, and police arrive LATER yet.

Agreed with Larry - doesn't look like they knew the area or where locals. But there was definitely a local helping locating the target. Very likely with a history of drugs use - needs to support his habit - and therefore known to the police.

About targeting the "Haves"... Addicts are crazy, whether they are high or not. Next time somebody with 10-year old pickup will appear a target worth the trouble. He is not doing risk and benefits analysis on computer - he is crazy. How much was there in the till when a punk robbed GN convenience store with a knife - a few hundred?...
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9  ..  11

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.