Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: border crossing july 5
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2018 at 01:04 PM
border crossing july 5

Planning on crossing the border (going north) at the Otay Mesa ready lane shortly before noon on July 5. I've googled and googled but can't come up with any statistics on July 4 holiday crossing traffic. I'm thinking traffic might not be too bad since the holiday is mid-week this year. However, if leaving a day later or sooner would save us hours at the border, we might change our plans. Anyone out there have personal info? Or statistics from past years?
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2018 at 05:15 PM

11 am in late November - line extending to the East-West street, whatever it's called, all the way to the road leading to Airport. More than an hour. It was 2 days after Thanksgiving, and Saturday, so not the peak time to visit relatives North or return home from holidays.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-2-2018 at 06:09 PM

July 5th is mid week this year, so no 3 day weekend lines of us gringos going home.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-2-2018 at 06:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
July 5th is mid week this year, so no 3 day weekend lines of us gringos going home.

Better than a 3 day weekend, make it a 5 day weekend! :light:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2018 at 09:32 PM

Wherever you saw 3 day line, David, I wonder :)

Sadly, Otay Ready line is long most of the time. Hardly any better than regular lines. On that day in November regular line were 4-5 times shorter than Ready, though fewer gates there too, probably was a wash, same +1 hour.

[Edited on 6-3-2018 by Alm]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-3-2018 at 07:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Wherever you saw 3 day line, David, I wonder :)

Sadly, Otay Ready line is long most of the time. Hardly any better than regular lines. On that day in November regular line were 4-5 times shorter than Ready, though fewer gates there too, probably was a wash, same +1 hour.

[Edited on 6-3-2018 by Alm]

A 3-Day line happens on Memorial Day, Labor Day, and other Monday holidays. When Independence Day (4th of July to some of you) falls on a Friday-Monday, then IT becomes a 3-day weekend. It doesn't this year. So, no special reason for excessive borderline traffic. I always recommend Tecate for the northbound border crossing and midday to early afternoon has been great with no line many times.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BornFisher
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 6-3-2018 at 07:54 AM

Cross the 4th before 10AM.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2018 at 10:02 AM

IMO: Since 7/4 is mid week, vacationers are either (1) leaving 6/29, and returning 7/4; (2) leaving 7/4, returning 7/8; or (3) leaving 6/30, returning 7/8. In consideration of the number of choices, and that July in Baja is off-season, and that there are SO many other places to go for 7/4, I don't think crossing into US will be that big of a deal. You can always plan your day to cross at 11:00 pm. I would also recommend Tecate over Otay since Otay has all the trucks.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-3-2018 at 10:07 AM

At Otay commercial trucks cross at a separate port than passenger vehicles

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
IMO: Since 7/4 is mid week, vacationers are either (1) leaving 6/29, and returning 7/4; (2) leaving 7/4, returning 7/8; or (3) leaving 6/30, returning 7/8. In consideration of the number of choices, and that July in Baja is off-season, and that there are SO many other places to go for 7/4, I don't think crossing into US will be that big of a deal. You can always plan your day to cross at 11:00 pm. I would also recommend Tecate over Otay since Otay has all the trucks.
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2018 at 01:35 PM

We've been crossing at Otay since we got to know the crossing when we nationalized our truck there 4-5 years ago. Then we got passport cards and now zip through the ready lane. Last year we crossed about 10:30 a.m. on Friday, July 7 and waited only 1/2 hour. One year it did take an hour. Sometimes the regular line looks shorter, but it moves at a snail's pace. The ready lane lines move fairly quickly. Guess we'll just go for it unless we hear something different. We drive from Loreto to San Quintin and then San Quintin to Otay. Easy mid-morning arrival. I think there is a race near Ensenada a few days before the 4th...........? Hoping that won't be an issue either.
Thanks for all the input.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2018 at 02:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  

Great answer.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

soylent_green
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2018 at 08:50 AM

never know. Could be minutes or could be hours. Trucks don't really make a difference to your wait in Otay except for the street traffic. Different line, different entrance.

FOR READY LANE:
1. Get a passport card rushed at a US Passport Agency office (the official office they have around the country, not the Post Office)
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/require... Tell them you are leaving the country and need it by a certain date and you should get an appointment

2. Or even easier, get the new California enhanced IDs for all in the car - do it today and you go in the READY LANE. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/newsrel/2017/2...

Honestly, I have never heard of someone with a just a current US passport getting hassled in the READY lane. Every US passport since 2007 has an RFID chip in it.

Download the CBP border wait app beforehand and check border waits. Sometimes Otay is better, sometimes Tecate is. App is not always updated hourly, and sometimes its off a bit, but better than just going to a crossing blind.

[Edited on 6-6-2018 by soylent_green]
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2018 at 10:01 AM

I heard all borders will be closed on July 4, so we can all stand together and sing the national anthem, with hand on heart. Our Greedy Old Patriot leader will have any citizen not standing during the anthem immediately arrested. Their children will of course be separated from them and incarcerated as well for at least 72 hours, perhaps indefinitely. Summary deportation hearings will follow the ceremony and citizenship will be revoked. MAGA!

John

[Edited on 6-6-2018 by John Harper]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-6-2018 at 02:52 PM
By July 4th ...................

El Donald "may" learn the words to the anthem.

But, that's not a given.

Speaking to reporters outside the White House, he forgot the name of Kim Yong Chol literally minutes after their meeting.

And, was confused over whether or not he'd read the physically Biggest diplomatic letter in history from Kim Jong Un.

Whom he'd previously been referring to (incorrectly) as "Mr. Un".

As had his new Secretary of State in congressional hearings.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2018 at 07:46 AM

Bob and Jane, how was the crossing?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2018 at 07:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Bob and Jane, how was the crossing?

July 5, not June 5.

John
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2018 at 07:55 AM

Blanca, I'll report after we cross. It's still June :-). Crossing just after July 4...................
Having fun reading all the posts. Surprised John Harper and MrBillM agree on something.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-7-2018 at 08:08 AM

Stuff your political comments or take them to off-topic sewer

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
I heard all borders will be closed on July 4, so we can all stand together and sing the national anthem, with hand on heart. Our Greedy Old Patriot leader will have any citizen not standing during the anthem immediately arrested. Their children will of course be separated from them and incarcerated as well for at least 72 hours, perhaps indefinitely. Summary deportation hearings will follow the ceremony and citizenship will be revoked. MAGA!

John

[Edited on 6-6-2018 by John Harper]
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2018 at 08:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Stuff your political comments or take them to off-topic sewer

Poor little snowflake has no sense of humor?

John
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2018 at 08:55 AM

hahahaha can you tell I am on a permanent vacation....geeez, can't even get my months straight hahahahaha

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.