BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: baja 500 route: mikes to R. Melling?
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2018 at 02:29 PM
baja 500 route: mikes to R. Melling?

hey David, and anyone else with knowledge, so the 500 is going through Mikes sky Ranch through el coyote and past rancho melling. Judging by the speeds - I'm guessing this is the almosty impassable road you speak of (they are going less than 20 mph in trophy trucks).
http://www.score-international.com/2018-baja500/site/pages/r...

I guess I'm trying to figure out if the Baja 4000 route will include that section, and if so, i probably will chicken out and take the safe route - but i really hate to give up the points for finding the nav points in that area!

[Edited on 6-2-2018 by caj13]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2018 at 12:42 PM

That area is just not a high speed section, rocks, ruts, ditches etc. If a class 11 (basically a stock VW bug) can get thru a 4x4 can too.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-3-2018 at 03:56 PM

That route is now even more challenge. deep powder with rocks yesterday at 2AM a man and two kids showed up El Coyote They walked 10 miles after there 4x4 got stuck. Wonder what they where thinking try it right after race night time and no back up.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-3-2018 at 06:46 PM

It's such a long way around to detour from the observatory road to Mike's Sky Rancho or Hwy. 3, without trying to go between El Coyote and Mike's, it makes you gotta try!

Last October, Michael at El Coyote told me he didn't consider it passable for 4x4s to Mike's back then. It was very bad just the few miles I drove before my brake fail, and limped back. Michael said I hadn't even reached the really bad part yet!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2018 at 07:43 PM

Normally passable with high clearance and tall tires. Otherwise just use your stock old school VW like Tom said. Just go slow and watch your tire placement. Not considered a super difficult road by those who have driven it.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 02:31 PM

Paul is right some people think just because they have a 4x4 it will go anywhere, well it won't. Some 4x4s are really just 1 wheel drive. Some have a locker in the rear making them a 2 wheel drive. Some have devices to brake the loose wheel and some have full lockers front and rear. The real test is what to look for and where to place your wheels. As they say you can't fix stupid but you can fix ignorance, educate yourself on what to do off road and think about what you are about to go over. If in doubt turn about.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 05:27 PM

Well said TMW on baja bugs and 4x4s. I used to own 3 off road baja bugs they could go where a 4x4 could not go. In certain places the 4x4 can go where the bugs cannot.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 05:45 PM

Driver skill and ground clearance are other issues that allow or prevent 4WD vs. 2WD vehicles. Big rocks and deep gullies can limit travel as much as traction conditions.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 06:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Driver skill and ground clearance are other issues that allow or prevent 4WD vs. 2WD vehicles. Big rocks and deep gullies can limit travel as much as traction conditions.

Dk, you forgot a few other things that can limit travel:
running out of gas
Mechanical failure
Fences
Wildfires
Losing car keys
Other time commitments
Blindness
Fear
Loathing
Inebriation
Full camera memory
Losing the map!
Angry surfers throwing up a roadblock

[Edited on 6-5-2018 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 08:57 AM

Funny, but being that this thread is about the road between El Coyote and Mike's Sky Rancho, I think we don't need to worry about angry surfers unless there is a big swell on the San Rafael River!

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2018 at 06:04 PM

Just after you pass Coyote going to paved road there is a crossover route they used. It goes down the big canyon to east of Coyote. It looks like sugar sand 2 to 3 ft deep. Very fine sand good to pass K&N air cleaners. At the end of the month I will haul travel trailer up to Coyotes. For a week of exploring check out posible 4X4 routes but on my bike. Crazy temps it was 95 yesterday at Coyote only 70 at bottom.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2018 at 07:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Very fine sand good to pass K&N air cleaners.

What aircleaner would you recommend? My buddy has UNIs on his XT225s.
I have K&N on my Ranger and Sportster. Only the Ranger ever sees dirt, and never hardcore sand, so far.

John

[Edited on 6-6-2018 by John Harper]
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2018 at 07:23 PM

On dirt bikes anything but KN I use Uni on my dirt bikes I used a KN on my Dodge 4x4 but always have paper filter for off road. Since moving to Baja seems always in the dirt so paper air cleaner on the trucks. KN filter threw it away your fine on the street.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2018 at 08:13 PM

John Harper,
I was duped by K&N's non-empirical claims, using them in trucks, Jeeps, and a dune buggy. Then came a big surprise when I started researching the empirical evidence.
I've thrown away my K&N filters. replacing them with AC/Delco paper filters in my offroad trucks. A little pricier than the cheap paper filters. It pays to shop, in advance of needing the part, on eBay/internet.
I do stretch the usable life of the filters by blowing the dust out with compressed air (not close enough to harm the paper element).
Check out the nifty color charts on this link:
http://nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

For motos/quads, I'm using oiled foam type filters. Would NEVER again use a K&N on anything that sees dirt or sand.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2018 at 07:01 AM

Same thing I do blow dust out extend the life of paper filter. Here is another tip buying used truck. If it has a KN air filter don't buy it. I don't need any chart to tell me about KN filters after off road bikes and trucks. Two motos with slide in carb stuck wide open. Off road trucks cleaning KN filter FI tubes from KN to Engine coated with dirt inside. Another tip on motos grease sealing lip of Uni filter. White grease best so when you clean filter you can see if seal passing dirt.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2018 at 07:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
John Harper,
I was duped by K&N's non-empirical claims, using them in trucks, Jeeps, and a dune buggy. Then came a big surprise when I started researching the empirical evidence.
I've thrown away my K&N filters. replacing them with AC/Delco paper filters in my offroad trucks. A little pricier than the cheap paper filters. It pays to shop, in advance of needing the part, on eBay/internet.
I do stretch the usable life of the filters by blowing the dust out with compressed air (not close enough to harm the paper element).
Check out the nifty color charts on this link:
http://nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

For motos/quads, I'm using oiled foam type filters. Would NEVER again use a K&N on anything that sees dirt or sand.

Very interesting, I'll have to look into this.

John

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.