BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Coffee, yep another coffee thread.
joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 6-3-2018 at 09:58 PM
Coffee, yep another coffee thread.

Well; I just got off the train from Seattle, where they have good coffee. Not just on every corner, but in the middle of the block as well.

Last time I read a Baja coffee thread they said Marino coffee was good. Then I got a bad batch a couple of times and quit that brand.

I got some Folgers at IGA in Chula Vista. It aint good enough. It is not just Tj and Ensenada where you can not get good coffee, no, San Diego just is not a good place to buy coffee.

HELP.

I want a good cup of coffee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z26BvHOD_sg

[Edited on 6-4-2018 by joerover]

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 06:18 AM

I go with Peets. Shops in the SF bay area serve very strong coffee. Beans and grounds in super markets as far as here in Palm Springs. My friends in the mid-west beg me to bring a couple of pounds along when I visit.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 06:22 AM

I've been roasting green coffee beans for a long time. I travel with a small air roaster. For brewing, a Aero Press works fine. At home, a VIBIEMME Domobar. I only use filtered water. Green beans are half the price of preroasted. A pop corn air popper works well for roasting if you don't want to spend money on a real roaster.

25 pounds of green beans will last me about 6 months. I roast enough for about a week takes about 10 minutes.

In Baja, use to buy preroasted beans at Baja Beans, Pescadero. Then they stopped putting roast dates on the bags.

The only way to get fresh beans commercially is from a shop that roasts in house. Prepackaged won't be fresh.

I think Starbucks is garbage. On the other hand, I've had good coffee at McDonalds.

https://www.amazon.com/Aeropress-Coffee-and-Espresso-Maker/d...

https://www.sweetmarias.com/green-coffee.html

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 06:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by joerover  
Well; I just got off the train from Seattle, where they have good coffee. Not just on every corner, but in the middle of the block as well.

Last time I read a Baja coffee thread they said Marino coffee was good. Then I got a bad batch a couple of times and quit that brand.

I got some Folgers at IGA in Chula Vista. It aint good enough. It is not just Tj and Ensenada where you can not get good coffee, no, San Diego just is not a good place to buy coffee.

HELP.

I want a good cup of coffee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z26BvHOD_sg

[Edited on 6-4-2018 by joerover]

San diego has several local roasters, if you want brew your own and “buy local,” or even drink in their locals shops. San diego also has all the regular corporate giants like peets and strawbucks.

There are local roasters in baja if you want to “buy local.” In rural baja you wont find much good coffee in the way of coffee shops, restruant service. Plenty of better coffee shops in TJ, Ensenada, and other big towns

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 07:39 AM

When we were recently in San Diego, we went to a new to me coffee shop, named To The Point in Point Loma. They have food, but we didn't eat. I had a latte that was really good. The owners are Italian, they have a reputation to hold up! Kind of pricey.

4161 Voltaire St, San Diego, CA 92107, USA

When in La Paz we got a can of Café Punta del Cielo, cosecha premium. They had beans from different states, we tried Oaxaca and Chiapas. Oaxaca is my preference.

Last week I was in Ensenada for a day and I went to a coffee shop called Kaori and also had a really great cuppa.

This coffee shop is located inside CEARTE which is a huge gallery with works by local artists, plus art & cultural events, lectures & classes for all ages. My biggest complaint is that it only opens at 8 and I was ready for coffee at 7:30!

There was a large group of people outside, each one with a dog, getting dog training in the huge park in front of this café. There must have been 50 dogs with their humans.

Lázaro Cárdenas 1477, Bahia Ensenada, 22880 Ensenada

1.jpg - 79kB

A beautiful sculpture outside that I would love to replicate in my garden.

2.jpg - 110kB

6.jpg - 107kB

5.jpg - 39kB

7.jpg - 127kB

and here is the latte that was soooooooooo good.

8.jpg - 55kB

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 07:52 AM

OK since this is a coffee thread, I want to throw my 2 centavos in here. Luckily amigos bring me lovely coffee beans and I have been drinking Bulletproof type coffee and wow...what an amazing brew! Its so good you dont need to add sugar.

I grind the beans every morning, put it in my French press for 4 minutes. I put a tablespoon of coconut oil and a couple tablespoons of heavy cream.....we only have media crema here but it works great too...then I add some vanilla, cinnamon and tumeric and whip it all up and it is a fantastic fru-fru looking coffee that keeps me going till I can make some breakfast....one cup is like a full breakfast with the oil and cream...delightful!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 07:52 AM

Sorry this story isn't going to get you a "good" cup of Joe but it does have to do with Baja and coffee....

It was in the 70's and my Dad was going to a Dentist in Tijuana once a week for a few months getting his teeth extracted and new dentures.

We would leave at O-dark-thirty from Santa Monica because that is how my Dad always did it and how I do the same today. There is NO time better to travel by car than leaving BEFORE the sun rises with a cup-O-coffee in hand and NO traffic !!

Well of course we were in TJ way early for his appointment and by then were always ready for breakfast . We started off eating at many restaurants in Revolution Blvd. but were vary disappointed every time.
Finally I say to my Dad " we need to get out of the tourist area and find where the locals eat, and so we did, we found a hole in the wall place that with no menus. The menu was painted on the wall in Spanish only and of course no one spoke a word of English and us likewise with Spanish. We pointed , my Dad got the steak picado that ended up being the best that he ever ate! I the huevos rancheros that again were the real deal . We ate there every time after that.

Now the coffee part, while my Dad was getting his procedure done I had time to waste so I explored Tijuana and in doing so I came across a coffee roasting shop that roasted the beans there. Well I would by a kilo at a time and bring them home. It was some of the best coffee I have ever had and is a dear memory of mine.

Thanks for posting that question Joe.

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
mikeymarlin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 07:57 AM

hi sheri--- thats not a cup of coffee --- thats a milk shake !! lol---

we have been using DOKA ESTATE from costa rica --prefer french roast-
been a customer for 12+ years-- delivery very dependable-- about the same price as good coffee --similar in cost to starbucks or dunkin donuts

very smooth ---
joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 10:09 AM

Blanca, is that the museum in Ensenada?

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
I've been roasting green coffee beans for a long time. I travel with a small air roaster. For brewing, a Aero Press works fine. At home, a VIBIEMME Domobar. I only use filtered water. Green beans are half the price of preroasted. A pop corn air popper works well for roasting if you don't want to spend money on a real roaster.

25 pounds of green beans will last me about 6 months. I roast enough for about a week takes about 10 minutes.

In Baja, use to buy preroasted beans at Baja Beans, Pescadero. Then they stopped putting roast dates on the bags.

The only way to get fresh beans commercially is from a shop that roasts in house. Prepackaged won't be fresh.

I think Starbucks is garbage. On the other hand, I've had good coffee at McDonalds.

https://www.amazon.com/Aeropress-Coffee-and-Espresso-Maker/d...

https://www.sweetmarias.com/green-coffee.html

Roast your own. I bet it is not that easy.
As I think about that,
anybody have ideas to go into Calimax or Soriana and buy a bag of coffee?
If possible I would buy preground coffee somewhere. I am all forgrinding my own beans if someone knows where to buy them in Baja.

Lee did you print step by step instructions on home roasting? Take a class? Work at a coffee place for years?

last week I payed $45 for a titanium coffee press.I had to return it, as it only filtered out most of the grounds, not all.

many people like the arrow press. Yea, to much plastic and boiling water is bad for your health.

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 10:29 AM

San Diego just is not a good place to buy coffee.

OMG, coffee places are a dime a dozen here in San Diego, especially North County. Unless you expect a blow job with your order. Or you only drink civet cat chit coffee.

Sounds like a first world kind of problem. Buck up, sailor.

John

[Edited on 6-4-2018 by John Harper]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 10:55 AM

Lee did you print step by step instructions on home roasting? Take a class? Work at a coffee place for years?

last week I payed $45 for a titanium coffee press.I had to return it, as it only filtered out most of the grounds, not all.

many people like the arrow press. Yea, to much plastic and boiling water is bad for your health.

A friend turned me on to roasting. Seriously, stop by Target get a hot air pop corn popper. Buy a pound of green beans ($5.00) from Sweet Marias. Cup of green beans, start popper, I roast with lid off, watch beans jump around for about 5 minutes. Darkness of roast depends on your preference. There are 2 distinct ''pops'' you'll hear. I stop right after 2nd pop, medium brown colored beans.

Here's the deal. You NEED a ''conical burr'' grinder. Not a Braun whirly-type made for spices. Entry level is pricey.

That said, once you're set up, you'll have the freshest beans and cup possible.

Lots of web sites like Coffee Geek with forums on everything coffee. Videos from Seattle Coffee Gear are outstanding. Whole Latte Love site is good.

All self taught, no classes, though I think about Barrister school in LA.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 11:31 AM

I buy mine from Tandem Coffee Roasters, in "the other Portland". They ship cross-country in two days. It's medium roasted, whole bean coffee that is ideal for cold brew.

That said, I'm intrigued at the prospect of roasting my own. I drink too much coffee not to.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 11:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

All self taught, no classes, though I think about Barrister school in LA.

Perhaps if you attend barrister school you might learn how to spell barista, eh?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 11:55 AM

I totally get the roast/grind your own bean is the hot set up......but for the less discerning coffee drinker is there a good choice you can pick up here at the Soriana? on another message board a coffee guru claimed up and down Oaxaca coffee was the bomb, bought a bag and it tasted the same as the rest. any canned favorites?
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 12:15 PM

I really like this brand https://www.capdecafe.com/seleccion-capsulas
I´ve tried Veracruz,Oaxaca and Chiapas from them. Chiapas being my favorite. I´ve bought it in walmart, bodega aurrera and calimax.

[Edited on 6-4-2018 by chippy]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 12:36 PM

Shari - you had my mouth watering with your description!

Having lived in Brazil for so long, a strong coffee is what I really like.

I also ran a coffee shop for 7 years in Ocean Beach and I sure got spoiled with the fresh ground coffee beans and the fru fru drinks we would make. My cappuccino was wicked good.

willardguy -Oaxaca coffee that we got came in a can, not a bag.

chippy - the Chiapas coffee tasted somewhat like a French Roast to me.

John Harper - where do you recommend in north county? after being in Seattle, it may be a first world problem, but the struggle would be real in the search for a great cup of coffee! I loved Seattle and the many choices for good brew.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 12:58 PM

I'm not an aficionado, but if you drive through Encinitas alone, there are literally dozen's of places, almost an unbelievable number. Someone's coffee must satisfy anyone's palette.

Can't possibly be that difficult to find what you like, can it? Maybe it is.

John
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 01:36 PM

pretty good sh*t

coffee.jpg - 66kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 01:46 PM

I fresh grind my own each time before brewing in a french press and love it. Trader Joes carries an organic medium roasted Bolivian coffee in a can that works for me. Fresh grinding each time makes a difference.

I can't see paying $4 to $5 for coffee, as I am a cheapskate, but see that it can be a social thing to go to Starbucks or any of the other multitude of coffee places that abound everywhere these days.

Jorge Miraz' Crossing South, has done a couple of programs about the growing coffee scene in TJ and they seem to be attracting a lot of attention. The drivel of the past is thankfully being upgraded.

I recall having breakfasts all over Baja and usually the coffee was pretty tasty. No clue what it is was at any one place, but maybe the ambience helped the taste as much as anything.

I remember a brand name that always gave me a chuckle when I saw it in Baja, though I can't speak for the quality. Cafe Combate! Sounds about right. haha.

Shari, I now know what to bring down to you next time I have the chance for some Whale Magic. Thanks to all here, everyday.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-4-2018 at 02:05 PM

Café Comate is what was in the cupboard when I stayed at Shari's place last March! It was whole bean though, and I couldn't find a grinder.

I found the same brand at the local grocery store that was already ground, so I bought it. I found it to be above average, with a nice, bold aroma! I brought some home with me.

[Edited on 6-4-2018 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.