Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: We are going to Thailand in Jan 2019
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2018 at 10:00 AM
We are going to Thailand in Jan 2019

I can hardly believe it but it is TRUE. We are headed to Thailand for the month of January!

Who has been there? What can you recommend??

I have a DK travel book and have been reading tons....we shall start in Bangkok, then work our way to Phuket and then north to Chang Mai.

Any pointers would be so appreciated!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 6-9-2018 at 10:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
I can hardly believe it but it is TRUE. We are headed to Thailand for the month of January!

Who has been there? What can you recommend??

I have a DK travel book and have been reading tons....we shall start in Bangkok, then work our way to Phuket and then north to Chang Mai.

Any pointers would be so appreciated!

Since I last visited there in 1965 my pointers wouldn't be worth much but I liked Thailand very much. Look forward to your trip reports.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 6-9-2018 at 10:48 AM

Congratulations Blanka,

You've made an excellent choice! Thailand is a vary special place and people, not to mention the FOOD Oh My !

I have been about 20 times in the last 8 years and most of the time long stays and have several friends there.

I will write up some of the best things I found and report back soon.

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2018 at 12:13 PM

:bounce:

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bezzell
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2018 at 12:50 PM

you'll prolly NOT be interested in the same destinations (services) as Paco guy!! wink wink
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 6-9-2018 at 12:58 PM

I visited Thailand, a couple of years ago. It's a great place, and I can't wait to go back.

I don't have too much advice on where to go, because it look like you been doing you reading, and that's exactly how I would do it, Bangkok, first and then Phuket, then come home. I haven't been to Chang Mai.

There are a few things I would advise that's sometimes is not covered in the travel books As soon as you get to the airport, and take that long walkway, I would exchange about $100 US dollars, for Thai baht, and get a lot of small change, and then after that get your money from the ATMs because it's cheaper. The reason being the ATMs usually give you big bills, and you will need a lot of small bills for things like the taxi, because sometimes they have no change or claim they don't.

Without trying to stereotype people, most Thai, people are wonderful, but I would not trust a taxi driver as far as I could throw, and that goes double for Tuk Tuk drivers.

The taxi drivers, are supposed to use their meters, but like TJ taxi drivers in the past, it's like pulling teeth to make them put that meter on. So unless you want to fight with them, and then get out of the cab, you should at least negotiate the price they will charge to take you to your destination.

The Tuk Tuk, drivers are notorious at the tourists stops to try to get you to go Jewelry shopping, because they get a kick back if you agree to go their regardless if you buy or not. The Tuk Tuk, taxi drivers will tell you to your face, that your event is closed because of lunch or other made up story, to get you to go with them Jewelry shopping, and if you call them a liar, they get very upset, because supposedly Thai people don''t like conflict. So just tell them to take you there anyway, because you never want to come off like an ugly American in Thailand, because you'll lose in the long run.

Watch out when crossing busy interactions or busy streets in Bangkok, because you literally take your life in your hands when you try to cross a busy street in Bangkok. The Thai people don't respect signal lights, crosswalks, or pedestrians right-of-way. As you are crossing a street, the cars, and motorcycles are whizzing by you at a high rate of speed, so you have to walk very carefully because those cars will be flying in front of you, and behind you while you are tying to walk to the other side of the street, an and you have to dodge the cars, and sometimes you will have to just step out, and make them stop.

So the best bet, is watch the older Thai ladies navigate through a busy intersection, because they will teach you how to do it, and you will gain confidence, that if they could do it, so can you.

Everything about Thailand, is over-the-top, and I'm sure you will enjoy yourself.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-9-2018 at 05:49 PM
It's just a rumor, BUT ..................

Somewhere it was reported (I think) that Bourdain hanged himself after eating Thai Takeout in his room.

Or, was it Warthog ?

Anyway, watch where (and what) you eat.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2018 at 05:59 PM

MrBill,

You got a Anthony confused with David Carradine....:P

joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 6-9-2018 at 06:02 PM

How much is a ticket?
What airline?
When is the rain season?

Most important, how can you get to over there without spending all your money on a ticket?

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2018 at 06:29 PM

Blanca,

First off while in Bangkok I have a Thai friend ( Witun ) that is a driver with a nice van that can show you all the best things to see and do in Bangkok. If you like ? Let me know and I'll PM you his contact info.
He is really friendly, professional and honest...

A few things fun and interesting to see and do....
The laying Buddha
The Kings temple
The floating market
A boat ride on the river and in the canals.

A unique restaurant called "cabbages and condoms" ( really good Thai food ) and profits go to a good cause.
I didn't think much of Ko San road but it is so famous that it should be seen.
Food wise , it's hard to find a bad meal as long as you stick to Thai. But plenty of other options to choose from.
I do not hesitate to eat the street food, I've never gotten sick from it. They buy their food fresh each day.

Do not miss eating "mango and sticky rice" my favorite dessert. Also mangosteen's ( a purple fruit with a green top stem) you break open ant the white part. One of the best fruits in the world.

Foot massage places all all over and are GREAT for about $6 and hour. Also it's worth it to go to a legit massage place like "just relax" and get a real massage ( altough thats about $50 ). I prefer the oil massage vs the Thai but as they say in Thailand " Up to you "

I will post more as I think about it. Also do not hesitate to ask any question.

Bezzle, I'm leaving out those parts. Although going to see a LadyBoy show sure can be fun and entertaining ? Blanca, if you think that you maybe interested in such , let me know ....

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 6-9-2018 at 07:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by joerover  
How much is a ticket?
What airline?
When is the rain season?

Most important, how can you get to over there without spending all your money on a ticket?

The rainy season starts in July, and the best time to go is the cool season( not really cool) between Nov and April. However, cheaper prices during the rainy season, and less tourists, but it's always crowded.

Sometimes you can find deals as cheap is $700 round trip during the rainy season, and right now the cheapest prices for airfare, is about $1000 dollars round trip, although package deals aren't that much more.

I like to use Skyscanner, or Flyfar, for Asian destinations, which usually book you on a China airline.

4 star hotels usually start about $70 dollars, and 5 star hotels, are about $150 dollars, a night, and you are treated like kings and queens.

If you stay in three stars hotels, and eat street food, you could do Thailand very very cheaply.

I would stay away from Khao San Road, because it didn't live up to the hype.

[Edited on 6-10-2018 by JoeJustJoe]

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-9-2018 at 08:14 PM
Carradine Hung up on Food ?

I'm pretty sure Carradine's dangling wasn't over a meal, although meat was said to be involved.

Anthony Bourdain's hanging, though, "could" have been.

In recounting the various bouts of depression the anus-eating chef experienced, it was noted in one of the L.A. Times articles regarding his hanging it all up, that HE would often experience deep dark depression over getting a bad airport burger. It didn't say whether he felt that way over Thai food.

Odd as that is, odder still is the fact that In-n-Out was his most favored Burger joint.

One wonders IF, as he strangled, he thought "maybe I should have ordered something else" ?

We'll never know.

Seriously, though, does it really matter ?

[Edited on 6-10-2018 by MrBillM]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2018 at 08:43 PM

Last went about 3 years ago. Rode one of these around at 3am while drinking beers (had a driver).

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 6-9-2018 at 10:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

I like to use Skyscanner, or Flyfar, for Asian destinations, which usually book you on a China airline.

Skyscanner or flyfar, remind me to look into that.

Is it cheaper to fly out of Tj, La, DF, or Seattle?
I forgot the name of the Chinese airline at the Tj airport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6VSSSbY0Pc

the fat lady is breeding
which means
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2018 at 11:01 PM

My mother was a world traveler and she told me Thailand was the best trip she ever went on....have a great time!!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2018 at 07:04 AM

Folks, our tickets cost us less than $500 each! We are going to Thailand for under a thousand bucks.

The airline is Hong Kong airlines leaving out of LA. Les used justfly.com

Everyone, I knew you would give priceless information and you have! Thanks so much for taking time out of your day to share info.

*** forgot to mention that we were told that January is the best month to visit.

[Edited on 6-10-2018 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 6-10-2018 at 01:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
tickets less than $500 each! Thailand under a thousand bucks.

Hong Kong airlines leaving out of LA. Les used justfly.com

told that January is the best month to visit.]

Hong Kong airlines, justfly

"I like to use Skyscanner, or Flyfar, for Asian destinations,"

Thats each way. They want me to pay $649 to get there, and $649 to get back. First click, could be a cheaper flight if one keeps clicking.

[Edited on 6-10-2018 by joerover]

the fat lady is breeding
which means
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2018 at 02:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Blanca,

A unique restaurant called "cabbages and condoms"

Interesting name for a restaurant.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2018 at 04:28 PM

The story of how the restaurant got it's name...

https://thediplomat.com/2017/06/cabbages-condoms-a-socio-sex...

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-10-2018 at 04:49 PM

"CABBAGES AND CONDOMS"

Sounds like dating Kim Chi. I won't comment on the aroma. :o

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.