Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Paz Traffic Police Are Targeting Gringos
SunDevil
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2018 at 05:31 AM
La Paz Traffic Police Are Targeting Gringos

This news is in the June 9, 2018 Baja Pony Express report.

The police in La Paz are targeting Gringos heading north outside of town before the agriculture check point, pulling them over out of a line of cars, and claiming that they exceeded the 60 km speed limit. Pay the bribe or follow them back to town and spend half a day following them trying to find the police station.

Also mentioned in the BPE report are Constitution's hidden stop signs and speed traps.

We were pulled over last year in La Paz for a phony reason but after pleading our case we were let go with just a caution.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2018 at 06:38 AM

We were pulled over and let go after yours truly threw a major hissy fit!

In my defense, I was exhausted after a 10 hour car ride with a dog that was not handling the trip well.

Every time Mom and I remember the incident, we laugh uncontrollable - Those cops really thought they had a loony on their hands hahaha

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2018 at 07:09 AM

The section there around El Centenario has a succession of speed signs that change rapidly (trap) so just slow way down. It's just a short distance.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-10-2018 at 07:45 AM
Trolling for Dollars

Gringo drivers have been targeted since before I could drive (60+ years) and (no doubt) prior to that.

It's the Mexican Entrepreneurial spirit at work.

And, often, a Civil Service collateral benefit.

BTW, a 60K on a Sunday informal citation was the ONE of many during my near 50 years of Baja/Mainland driving that was (I think) undeserved.

Driving at a (slower than traffic) 40, I was pulled over and told that I had exceeded 60K (36mph). Noting that dual signage (elsewhere) ALWAYS indicates 60k/40mph, I pointed to "40" on my speedometer. HE (motorcycle cop) took off his glove and tapped "35". This went on for a few exchanges until I asked the usual in such situations. What the fine was and IF it was possible to pay HIM (since it was Sunday) so he could pay the court.

Paid my "fine" and went on my way.

Made it a point to never transit again North or South on a weekend day when bargaining power was reduced.

[Edited on 6-10-2018 by MrBillM]
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 6-10-2018 at 07:55 AM

El Gringo impuesto...

Just part of the price for admission....

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2018 at 09:12 AM

Sorry Guys,

but I do drive almost daily on that road. The Federal Police had a check point set up, by the Oxxo store in Centenarion. I have never been stopped there, always being waived through.
Now that checkpoint is no longer there, but a new one appeared on top of the grade Hwy 1, just before the ascend into the La Paz area.
I got stopped by them last Monday, driving an unusual sports car, without a front license plate. The officer asked very politely for my drivers license, and for the first time for me here in Baja, for the car registration. Both SD documents matched it each other, and with a smiley reference to my German name and car, he invited me to continue my trip back home.
Yes, I have been pulled over here in the past, but every time, I was doing something wrong......No seat belt on, on the phone while driving, no license plate on a trailer and so on. Cost me only 20 pesos over the last few years, as I can talk German to the police for ever.....Maybe the local drivers will get away with such infraciones.

No complaints for me here in La Paz, just loving it!

BTW if you see me driving my car with the license plate (rear) "VIVELO" just stopped me and say "Hello".
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-10-2018 at 09:33 AM

Nice post Karl!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2018 at 09:47 AM

Nothing new here

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.