Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  9
Author: Subject: Palm Tree In Bahia Concepcion
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2018 at 01:35 PM

Whatever the argued causes, the science community is seeing record polar ice melting away, as well as glaciers and ice sheets measurably receding. I think we can agree some of these physical events can be measured?

What would cause all that ice to melt? HEAT.

Where is all that melt water going to end up? THE OCEANS.

Here's another question: Why does the tide rise and fall in the Bay of Fundy much more than the Gulf of California, if the sea level is the same all over the world? By your "theory" it's also open to the ocean.

Why are tides different all over the world? Why also in different parts of Baja?

Waiting for your answer, gentlemen.

John

[Edited on 6-16-2018 by John Harper]
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2018 at 03:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Whatever the argued causes, the science community is seeing record polar ice melting away, as well as glaciers and ice sheets measurably receding. I think we can agree some of these physical events can be measured?

What would cause all that ice to melt? HEAT.

Where is all that melt water going to end up? THE OCEANS.

Here's another question: Why does the tide rise and fall in the Bay of Fundy much more than the Gulf of California, if the sea level is the same all over the world? By your "theory" it's also open to the ocean.

Waiting for your answer, gentlemen.

John

[Edited on 6-16-2018 by John Harper]

Good afternoon John.....

Let's digest this for a moment......
If the ambient air temps are getting warmer and more intense sunshine, yes ice melts at a more rapid pace....agreed
Now, that melted ice makes it way into the oceans around the entire world. Water can disperse water. Pour a bucket of water into a small pool of water, and the introduced water "pushes" aside the existing water and eventually seeks its own level throughout that pool.
Would that apply on a massive scale such as the open ocean?
Is is possible that water nearer the melt would be a millimeter or so "higher" before leveling out? Reported water levels are reported in just a millimeter or so right?
Centainly light years away from what Al Gore was selling yes?

We all know that heat and sunshine makes water evaporate right?

If the heat and sunshine is indeed more intense, all due to some global warming theories, would it be reasonable to assume that the water in the oceans would evaporate at an accelerated level in comparison to other "non" warmer time periods?
Can the ice field melts overcome the evaporation rate?
The entirety of the world's oceans is vastly larger than the whole of the Artic and Antartic agreed?

If this ocean water is indeed "warmer" due to sunshine and the like, would that precipitate the tropical storm formations? Sure it does right?
Can multiple tropical storms, over the entire intertropical zones of the whole world....with their massive rates of rainfall, be a cause of the ocean level rising a bit on those areas of the storms?
Does the intense wind flow downward, on to the sea surface, displace any of that surface water, which comes as "swells" that move over the sea surface and cause that water to rise and ebb as that swell moves by.
Were not talking about rock thrown into water here creating a swell or better stated, a ripple......but multiply that by bazillions. Have any effect on a local water level?

Tides are tides and a whole different animal........all dependant on the gravitational pull from the moon right? Full and new moons...higher water levels.....quarter and half moon....lower levels right?
Obviously stronger in the Bay of Fundy and even in the upper Sea of Cortez. For what reason I am clueless.
Difficult, if not down right mind boggling, is that the water in the upper Sea of Cortez keeps a higher, day in and day out level, non tide influenced level, than just down the sea a few hundred miles.... where the proverbial palm is still out of water.
Are you aware of any higher sea water intrusions in the San Felipe area that is inundating some beach front homes on a sustained basis?

It wasn't that long ago that someone on here was saying the salt flats from Punta Abreojos to La Bocana were flooded and laid claim it was due to global warming and the rising sea.
Odd......I was just on those very same salt flats not long ago and they were dry as a bone and local traffic was plying that road without water wings.

If land based warming is going up and more intense sunshine is in effect, that fuels land based thunderstorms and very severe ones at times agreed?
Would the massive amount of river runoffs into the ocean have any play in those areas seeing a bit higher sea levels until it seeks its own level?

As I mentioned to another poster on this topic, one can jump up and surely then comes down.......gravity is a given and no one disputes that.
Not such a simple phenom when it comes to oceans rising and an atmospheric zone becoming clogged up with the by products of burnt fossil fuels ....agreed?

No.... I am not convinced that it is fossil fuels that are the sole culprit in any rising sea levels.

Have a great day Mr Harper.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-16-2018 at 03:48 PM

Let's watch the tide come in on Turnagain Arm (near Anchorage) This is a moderate tide change, sometimes it is a breaking wave!
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bore+tides+turnagain+ar...

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2018 at 06:28 PM

Interesting points. From the internet (if not fake news) it states that all the water locked in the ice caps is only 1.7% of all water on earth. Not sure if that translates to a maximum 1.7% rise in average sea level or not. Possibly more considering the continents, but they are only about 30% of the area, give or take.

That doesn't sound too serious, does it? Maybe it is. Let's consider that 1.7% rise in average sea level as worst case.

So, for each 1000 foot depth it would rise 17 feet. The average depth of the ocean is 12,000 feet (again, from the internet). 17 x 12 equals 204 feet. That does sound serious, doesn't it. 1.7% doesn't sound like much but 204 feet sure does.

So for even every 0.1% ice melted, sea level goes up 12 feet. That's a lot as well, don't you think? Not sure how close we are to that 0.1% but as long as it keeps melting we'll likely get closer. That's if we agree it is apparently melting and continues to do so.

And while I agree that it is not clear what effect human generated CO2 has in overall global temperatures, it is increasing the acidity of our oceans due to simple chemistry. That acidity may actually be a more serious issue IMO.

John

[Edited on 6-17-2018 by John Harper]
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2018 at 07:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

And while I agree that it is not clear what effect human generated CO2 has in overall global temperatures.

[Edited on 6-17-2018 by John Harper][/rquote

That's all I was trying to say John.......it's not clear enough to relieve the world of untold billions in wealth to chase "unclear" causations.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 6-16-2018 at 09:11 PM

My God, another global warming denier thread that it looks like it was hijacked by global warning denier, DaliDali, who is trying to debate John Harper, by talking denier nonsense, and then saying, "agreed." as if John Harper, is supposed to agree with such denier foolishness.

John Harper, listen to Goat, you will never get anywhere auguring with a 'denier," it's better just to laugh. We all know about 95% of all scientist believe global warning is real, and mostly man made, the the other 5% of scientist work for Exxon, or the Trump administration.

My God, do you really believe this? You have no idea why arctic ice is so important compared to other oceans, and you don't quote anything as usual.

DalliDali wrote: "If the heat and sunshine is indeed more intense, all due to some global warming theories, would it be reasonable to assume that the water in the oceans would evaporate at an accelerated level in comparison to other "non" warmer time periods?

Can the ice field melts overcome the evaporation rate? The entirety of the world's oceans is vastly larger than the whole of the Artic and Antartic agreed?

If this ocean water is indeed "warmer" due to sunshine and the like, would that precipitate the tropical storm formations? Sure it does right? Can multiple tropical storms, over the entire intertropical zones of the whole world....with their massive rates of rainfall, be a cause of the ocean level rising a bit on those areas of the storms?

Why is Arctic sea ice important?

Arctic sea ice keeps the polar regions cool and helps moderate global climate. Sea ice has a bright surface; 80 percent of the sunlight that strikes it is reflected back into space. As sea ice melts in the summer, it exposes the dark ocean surface. Instead of reflecting 80 percent of the sunlight, the ocean absorbs 90 percent of the sunlight. The oceans heat up, and Arctic temperatures rise further.

A small temperature increase at the poles leads to still greater warming over time, making the poles the most sensitive regions to climate change on Earth. According to scientific measurements, both the thickness and extent of summer sea ice in the Arctic have shown a dramatic decline over the past thirty years. This is consisistent with observations of a warming Arctic. The loss of sea ice also has the potential to accelerate global warming trends and to change climate patterns.

https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/quickfacts/seaice.html

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-16-2018 at 10:20 PM

Much sea level change is due to temp increase, water expands with inc temp

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 07:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Much sea level change is due to temp increase, water expands with inc temp

It expands even more when it freezes. Good thing for life as we know it, imagine what kind of world this would be if ice sunk to the bottom of the oceans and lakes!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 10:03 AM

Here is some actual real science, done by guys who know what they are doing, using really sophisticated equipment and actual data sets . But it's written to be understood by the general public!

If your actually interested in fact, maybe this will help you educate yourself. BTW - You melt all the ice in antarctica - you are looking at a 58 meter rise in sea level - 200 feet for those of you metrically handicapped! and do yourself a favor and educate yourselves on climate feedback loops, and rates of acceleration etc.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/antarctica-lost-3-trilli...

[Edited on 6-17-2018 by caj13]
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 10:39 AM

Thanks John Harper for the voice of reason. It is little wonder, since we are both locals here and on another site, and share a view that science has beyond any doubt proven mankind is responsible.

That we would leave the degradation of our future generations ability to survive on this blue gem is shameful, and all for the almighty dollar to the despoilers and profiteers.

I have resisted the impulse to engage in such discussions here. There is no putting lipstick on this pig. We may not see the Conception Bay palm tree submerged anytime soon, but that proves nothing.

Islands are being drowned, and the rise will be increase geometrically as time goes on. What we are leaving to future generations will be seen as our fault and deservedly so.

Anyone can point to a certain shoreline and see what is all the fuss about? Small minds can find any excuse to deny 98% of scientists and claim they are being compensated for their opinions.

If that 2% of the denying scientists sources were dug into, it is almost certain they are being influenced by the profiteers using the wealth we are all given by mother nature.

It is our responsibility to future generations to preserve what we have enjoyed. Over and out. As we all have the freedom of choice, no one side will win out with whatever stance we take.

Maybe at some point we can all agree that, yes, we can do something to preserve what we have had, for our future generations. We owe them at least that. Peace out.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 11:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  

It wasn't that long ago that someone on here was saying the salt flats from Punta Abreojos to La Bocana were flooded and laid claim it was due to global warming and the rising sea.
Odd......I was just on those very same salt flats not long ago and they were dry as a bone and local traffic was plying that road without water wings.

If you lived here like I do, instead of making idiot statements based on a one-time visit, you would see and understand that the road has continually moved up the salt flat over time. This enables the locals without their water wings (what an observation) to continue to use the salt flat as the lower sections flood and become unusable. But then again you probably only went to La Bocana to see the Peninsula sinking as one other casual observer stated was really happening. Have a nice day Dili.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 11:46 AM

I would think Shari and Juan would have a more exact take on water level rising over the years since they live at waters edge.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 12:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I would think Shari and Juan would have a more exact take on water level rising over the years since they live at waters edge.

There are many people living on the waters edge. Juan and shari actually live on a bluff.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 12:18 PM

Let's not drag Juan and Shari into this....they would respond if/when they wanted to.... (Shari is a Nomad, ....Juan doesn't play this internet game) :light:

Don't believe everything you think....
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 12:26 PM

I flew over that Palm this morning....had to gain 100' of altitude to clear it....It has grown that much since I went down.....I'll notify the FAA, don't worry.....

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 12:29 PM

Ged, you devil, you..... You're the one started this pizzing match purposely to prod and provoke the pusillanimous pseudo pundits professing their prowess of self-importance and personal piety.

Once you start a thread it's not possible to direct where it goes. This is three pages so far of the same old people saying the same old well-worn statements from the last time this was broached.

If it don't stink, don't stir it. Methinks it's stirred up pretty well now.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 12:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Ged, you devil, you..... You're the one started this pizzing match purposely to prod and provoke the pusillanimous pseudo pundits professing their prowess of self-importance and personal piety.

Once you start a thread it's not possible to direct where it goes. This is three pages so far of the same old people saying the same old well-worn statements from the last time this was broached.

If it don't stink, don't stir it. Methinks it's stirred up pretty well now.

thank you

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 12:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

There are many people living on the waters edge. Juan and shari actually live on a bluff.

Do you live at the waters edge?
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 12:45 PM

BB,
Gosh....wuz just presenting info.....:biggrin:

Impressive alliteration !

Don't believe everything you think....
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 12:46 PM

No! But I will next week when the water comes up....

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.