Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  9
Author: Subject: Palm Tree In Bahia Concepcion
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2018 at 11:16 AM

It seems a lot of people don't understand that significant sea level rise is a prediction for the future based upon the continued burning of fossil fuels in increasing amounts and the subsequent warming of the atmosphere and oceans. To date, the rise has been small but it will accelerate and problems are beginning to appear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1dnlHPzhQA

And there are examples of coastal communities that have existed for a long time that are now in peril. Currently, there are coastal communities in Alaska that are disappearing. Google it.

[Edited on 6-15-2018 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-15-2018 at 12:17 PM

Climate change can have a myriad of contributing factors....the effect of human behaviour being one range of factors.

We won't even mention the plastic islands floating in the oceans...
different forms of pollution created by people (heat, sound, human detritus...)....

Whoops, I just said that out loud...

In the meantime I am just finishing a basement flood restoration project....flooding due to spring melt run-off in March....most snow here in 27 years....frozen ground didn't allow drainage tile to do its job...

So, it's not just global warming....it's a range of climate/environmental changes...

"Life is like something I ain't never seen before..." (Missouri Breaks movie)

Don't believe everything you think....
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 6-15-2018 at 01:28 PM

[rquote}

you're refuting the referee journal b/c of what you hear on fox news
you folks are a joke. sorry[/rquote]

I suppose you get your information from CNN and MSNBC. No need for further comment.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2018 at 01:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bezzell  
Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  

As compared with government/privately funded scientists who live and breathe everyday on the grants they get?
No climate change......NO grant money.

Bingo

[Edited on 6-15-2018 by DaliDali]

you can deny gravity all you want ... but the apple will still hit you on the head.

ignorance is bliss I guess

Gravity is a given....jump up and you come down.

Not so much with oceans rising and inundating the fruited plain is it?

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2018 at 01:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

So, it's not just global warming....it's a range of climate/environmental changes...

That's all anyone is saying motoman......

And shutting off well heads, pipelines, banning automobiles, oak burning fireplaces and other "off the wall" solutions.....and taxing everything from that well head to a tire disposal fee will "maybe" lower global temps by .01%

Holy cow......they may even come after your dirt moto......the horror yes?

[Edited on 6-16-2018 by BajaNomad]

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2018 at 01:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
It seems a lot of people don't understand that significant sea level rise is a prediction for the future based upon the continued burning of fossil fuels in increasing amounts and the subsequent warming of the atmosphere and oceans. To date, the rise has been small but it will accelerate and problems are beginning to appear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1dnlHPzhQA

And there are examples of coastal communities that have existed for a long time that are now in peril. Currently, there are coastal communities in Alaska that are disappearing. Google it.

[Edited on 6-15-2018 by SFandH]

And due to the enormous fluctuations of Mother Nature and her oft ill temper, that may all change in the out years.

Fact is, no one really knows....it's a "model" driven guess at this point.

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2018 at 02:50 PM

willfully ignorant isd a very comfortable place tgo be!
esspecially when one is proud of their willfull ignorance.
Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
In 2006, Al Gore predicted a 20-foot increase in sea level "in the near future" with the melting or breakoff of Greenland or Antarctica (An Inconvenient Truth: p. 196). Twelve pages follow (pp. 198–209) with glossy photographs showing major areas under water: from southern Florida to San Francisco to Manhattan. Not happening! Latest measurements by actual scientists show sea levels seem to be rising at maybe three millimetres per year. Twenty feet is over six thousand millimetres, so at this rate, we wouldn’t even be halfway by the year 3017.

Nice to know we have a climatologist with 20 ? some years of schooling, backed by multiple super computers who is sure we have nothing to worry about! Thanks campion, your vast knowledge and education allows you to make predictions that all of the other climate scientists (not funded by big oil) are missing!

As compared with government/privately funded scientists who live and breathe everyday on the grants they get?

Bingo

playa azul

[*] posted on 6-16-2018 at 12:05 AM

when i was a kid in the 70's we were warned about the coming ice age ......from scientists. Soooooo what happened..... it seems there is a lot of money to be made by alarming people into giving you their money by fear.... through the form of taxes. Global warming is a big money grab.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2018 at 07:57 AM

willfully ignorant isd a very comfortable place tgo be!
esspecially when one is proud of their willfull ignorance.
Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
In 2006, Al Gore predicted a 20-foot increase in sea level "in the near future" with the melting or breakoff of Greenland or Antarctica (An Inconvenient Truth: p. 196). Twelve pages follow (pp. 198–209) with glossy photographs showing major areas under water: from southern Florida to San Francisco to Manhattan. Not happening! Latest measurements by actual scientists show sea levels seem to be rising at maybe three millimetres per year. Twenty feet is over six thousand millimetres, so at this rate, we wouldn’t even be halfway by the year 3017.

Nice to know we have a climatologist with 20 ? some years of schooling, backed by multiple super computers who is sure we have nothing to worry about! Thanks campion, your vast knowledge and education allows you to make predictions that all of the other climate scientists (not funded by big oil) are missing!

Bingo

Mr or Ms caj13.....blissful ignorance can be easily confused with blissful allegiance to what your told, no matter what yes?

Scientists are a fine lot and I respect them and have admiration for their accomplishments throughout the years.
For the many varied and sundry applications these scientists have become involved in over the years, the one basic principle of finding a solution is a best guess scenario.....using computer models and various tools such as maybe, a bunsen burner.

Finding a solution to cure malaria was by trial and error of many different chemical compounds, until a concoction was deemed worthy of being called a "cure" based on real world results.
And so it goes with scores of other solutions into the daily lives of humans and even critters. All well and good.

The climate is an ever changing phenomena over uncertain periods of time. No one can control it, change it or alter it.....it is what it is.
The universe is so vast and beyond anyone's knowledge to fathom it all, that attempting a tweak of it seems fruitless and at a cost that would likely be beyond what any normal human being could even fathom.

Ever since the anemometer was introduced, along with other "weather" prediction and measurement devices, the one thing that has stood the test of time is that Mother Nature calls the shots. All day, everyday.

Perhaps earth has a finite life...no one knows do they?
Al Gore became wildly wealthy by being a climate change hawk and wanted to radically change the very industries that allowed him to proceed in amassing that wealth....namely energy and their sources, and by all reporting, he is consuming the very ire of which he rails on about, at a rate that far exceeds what would be considered as holding a rabid concern about climate change.
Do as is say and not as I do seems appropo in this instance agreed?

It's all a guess at this point.......a reasoned guess to be sure, but nonetheless a guess.

You may want to consider the time tested and valid phrase of..
Don't mess with Mother Nature.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-16-2018 at 08:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by playa azul  
when i was a kid in the 70's we were warned about the coming ice age .....

I remember the new ice age predictions! The theory was more popular with the news media than with the scientific community, so....more hype than science.

What is interesting is that some of the scientists were predicting that it would start with a rapid melting of the polar ice caps, which would change the nature of the ocean currents. The result was supposed to steer much warmer, moister air into the northern latitudes and higher elevations, causing the ice sheets to grow back with a vengeance!

So far, the global warming and the new ice age factions have evidence to point to in support of their theory.

I think I need to do more research on this dichotomy of opinion, but I am going to need some of that grant money!

[Edited on 6-16-2018 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2018 at 10:24 AM

And shutting off well heads, pipelines, banning automobiles, oak burning fireplaces and other "off the wall" solutions.....and taxing everything from that well head to a tire disposal fee will "maybe" lower global temps by .01%

Gee, I don't remember saying all that....and as for riding my motorcycles....what do the gun guys say? .... Something about prying them from my hands....:cool:

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2018 at 10:35 AM

Good point.....the way I read that is "don't abuse or disrespect Mother Nature"....:light:

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2018 at 10:37 AM

Gee, I don't remember saying all that....and as for riding my motorcycles....what do the gun guys say? .... Something about prying them from my hands....:cool:

Recall this direct quote Ged?

"So, it's not just global warming....it's a range of climate/environmental changes"

That is all were saying....you know, us wretched climate deniers and uneducated, ill informed dolts.

Gun guys?......you must have me confused with someone else Ged.
I own one.....and it's a thousand miles away from me right now

But even if it was close at hand.....I promise you safe passage aboard your moto anytime you make it down Loreto way oK....

Heck......beers on me if you promise not to bring JJJ or the Goat ok?

[Edited on 6-16-2018 by DaliDali]

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2018 at 10:49 AM

Good point.....the way I read that is "don't abuse or disrespect Mother Nature"....:light:

Yes sir Mr Ged.....we all have different perspectives on how Mother Nature responds to ill informed and doltish louts vs the informed and obviously massively more intelligent of those who want to shovel cash in the face of a vast universe in the sliver of hopes beyond hope that the globe temps will drop by .01%

In the end, and even out to the end of time, Mother Nature WILL have the last say on when and if to buy a pair of cute white rubber boots to wade the rising seas.

Now the overriding Q would be.....when will we kill all the flatulent bovines that emit gases into the atmosphere?

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2018 at 10:53 AM

Sounds like a kind invitation...I trust you could offer suggestions as to which places have the best tacos as well.:saint:

One condition, however.....we won't talk politics or religion....topics that often ruin a good visit....

I have never met a Nomad whose company I didn't enjoy...

[Edited on 6-16-2018 by motoged]

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2018 at 11:13 AM

I think DaliDali is of the opinion that global warming due to the burning of fossil fuel is not occurring. Do I have that right?

Never said this SF......all I AM saying it that that palm tree in the Bahia is STILL above water isn't it?

Is it that palm .....still above the high water mark or not?....where is has been and remains after centuries of existence?
The Sea of Cortez is open to the Pacific Ocean and rises and falls as it seeks out sea level across the globe.
Befuddled on how the sea level can be flooding the fruited plains in Indonesia and not seek that same level several thousand miles.
Any clues?

For the record.....yes I am on the fence and trending towards the idea that the use of fossil fuels MAY have an effect on the overall global temps.
To what degree I just don't know and would wager a months pension that neither do JJJ, the Goat or a NASA scientist or even Al Gore.

What I am not willing to concede is to remove the amount of the worlds wealth that it would take to lower those temps by an estimated .01%

Seriously....I don't mean to come off as snarky or the least bit condescending whatsoever to you ok?
I respect your views and the views of others and I only ask for mine to be respected also, without the calls of being an uneducated and ill informed dolt.

bezzell
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2018 at 11:25 AM

That is all were saying....you know, us wretched climate deniers and uneducated, ill informed dolts.

:lol::lol:
any questions??
:lol:

"b...b..bbbut look where the rubber ducky is in my bathtub"

:lol: stunning!
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2018 at 11:31 AM

Sounds like a kind invitation...I trust you could offer suggestions as to which places have the best tacos as well.:saint:

One condition, however.....we won't talk politics or religion....topics that often ruin a good visit....

I have never met a Nomad whose company I didn't enjoy...

[Edited on 6-16-2018 by motoged]

Poblanos tacos.....on the west side of the carretera (MX !) as you approach the town proper.
The colonia is Miramar.....
Carne asada tacos or al pastor.
Open air, white plastic Tecate seats and tables.

2 tacos, foam cup of frijoles and a soda .....77 pesos.
Corona store right next door if a cerveza suits your fancy and they don't care if you pop a top while enjoying the tacos

Or tacos el Rey in the center of town.....but tough to find them open on any given day.

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2018 at 11:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bezzell  

:lol::lol:
any questions??
:lol:

"b...b..bbbut look where the rubber ducky is in my bathtub"

:lol: stunning!

When you jumped up....did you come down ok?

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-16-2018 at 11:48 AM

I think DaliDali is of the opinion that global warming due to the burning of fossil fuel is not occurring. Do I have that right?

Never said this SF......all I AM saying it that that palm tree in the Bahia is STILL above water isn't it?

Is it that palm .....still above the high water mark or not?....where is has been and remains after centuries of existence?
The Sea of Cortez is open to the Pacific Ocean and rises and falls as it seeks out sea level across the globe.
Befuddled on how the sea level can be flooding the fruited plains in Indonesia and not seek that same level several thousand miles.
Any clues?

If you havent had the simple curiosity to read about sea level change in the past decade, you are a dolt!
Wasting time on ignoramuses like you is futile!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.