BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Miracles Do Happen (At Least in Rosarito, Anyway)
GypsyJan
Nomad

Mood: "If a dog will not come to you after looking you in the face, examine your conscience." Woodrow W

[*] posted on 6-13-2018 at 08:18 PM
Miracles Do Happen (At Least in Rosarito, Anyway)

Hubby drove to San Diego on business last Saturday with the duly trained and duly certified Service Dog against my advice.

He's 83-years-old and I knew it was going to be hot. He collapsed in a parking lot in Otay and was transported to Sharp Medical Chula Wista. They used his cell phone to notify me.

And, yes, they transported the dog, also. When I originally talked to the hospital, they told me the dog was going to be picked up by Animal Services. I went into meltdown mode and started yelling, "You can't do that,she is legal and elderly and if you take her to a kennel, she will die of fright!"

It took six hours to cross the border, but when I got to the hospital, she was there. Some nurse broke protocol and fed, watered and took her for a walk.

I don't drive any more (legally blind) Friend One drove me to the hospital on Saturday. Hubby told me where the car is three different times with three different locations. I talked to the ambulance service to get the location...and the car is nowhere to be found.

Hubby is going to be discharged against doctor's advice. They want him to go to a SNF and he is refusing. I was at wit's end, trying to get the hospital to drive him to the border so my Mexican friend could take his wheelchair across and bring him back to the car.

Out of the blue, our next door neighbor, a multi-millionaire developer in San Diego contacted me. I have never met or talked to this man. He offered to have one of his transportation employees pick my husband up and drive him home.

As Blanche du Bois said in the movie, "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers."

[Edited on 6-14-2018 by GypsyJan]
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2018 at 07:11 AM

Lovely gesture. Let us all remember to extend what kindness we can to strangers.
Best wishes for a full recovery at home, which is the best medicine.

[Edited on 6-14-2018 by rhintransit]

[Edited on 6-14-2018 by rhintransit]

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 6-14-2018 at 07:20 AM

I am glad things are working out. This whole episode must be very trying and stressful. Sometimes having been nice in the past goes back around. Good luck and wishes to all of you!

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2018 at 10:09 AM

That may go down as one of the greatest stories EVER! What a kind gesture for sure.

Jan, you can always count on me too. Let me know what your needs are and I have family/friends in San Diego that can help out. I overheard my son once telling a friend: You have no idea what my Mom can do. HAHAHAHA He made me proud that day.

Uber is another wonderful solution nowadays when one doesn't want to or can't drive. My student from ages ago, Betsy, does uber out of Ensenada. She has a visa to go to the States and often crosses the border.

What a cool story. Thanks for sharing! and did hubby hear an I TOLD YOU SO?

The car issue is a serious one....we should brainstorm how to find it.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
GypsyJan
Nomad

Mood: "If a dog will not come to you after looking you in the face, examine your conscience." Woodrow W

[*] posted on 6-14-2018 at 05:08 PM
The Car is Still Missing

I have been driven through every parking lot on San Ysidro Blvd. from Otay to Imperial Beach.

San Diego PD doesn't have it, at least as from my phone call today.

Using Google, I have called every business listed on his path and I have to say, the people who work at Subway, Starbucks, Jack-in-the-Box and 711 along this border could not be nicer or try to be more helpful.

They remembered my first call and told me they had asked everyone else on the different shifts.

The majority of people are good-hearted and want to help you.
GypsyJan
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2018 at 05:26 PM
Update - Husband Going Home Saturday

Our multi-millionaire developer neighbor is picking him up personally.

I am completely (well, at least, temporarily) at a loss for words.
GypsyJan
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2018 at 06:46 PM
"Difficult, Disobedient and Stubborn"

That's how the charge nurse described him when I called to schedule a pick-up time for him.

Welcome to my world.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-14-2018 at 06:51 PM

On the white board in my room, one of the nurses wrote "WARNING - Grouchy"

Quote: Originally posted by GypsyJan  
That's how the charge nurse described him when I called to schedule a pick-up time for him.

Welcome to my world.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2018 at 07:37 PM

Les's last nurse described him as a TROUBLE MAKER.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.