BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Exede/Viasat equipment
lenstewart

[*] posted on 6-13-2018 at 09:23 PM
Exede/Viasat equipment

Anyone need Exede-Viasat dish, transceiver and modem?

I have disconnected service, and now need to return equipment to the US (even though I bought it up front from the local installer) to avoid $300 charge. BUT, DSL quotes me $250 to ship the equipment to the Louisville address.

Long story short, it's more hassle than it's worth to remove, package, and ship to Louisville KY to just save $50. I'll happily give the dish, transceiver and modem to anyone who can use it to start their own Exede-Viasat service, if you just come and take it off my house in Loma Azul, Mulege.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2018 at 06:00 AM

For sure they will want the modem, power supply and TRIA (LMB). Ask when you cancel the service. They were going to charge me a lot if they didn't get them back. They sent a free shipping box to my US address with instructions.

[Edited on 6-14-2018 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2018 at 06:10 AM

Russ is correct they will send you a box to return the modem and Tria, they don't want the dish and mount back. Save yourself some money and don't give it away.
Bob, fyi they will move a modem from 1 account to another, as an installer I do it all the time. It's called a modem swap.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
lenstewart

[*] posted on 6-14-2018 at 10:18 AM

Well, thanks everyone. A lot of good advice.

Here's the thing for me: Viasat will not/can not send me the pre-paid UPS return box w/label here in Mexico. So I have to return at my own cost via DHL, which is estimated to be $250. I calculate that against the $300 charge if I do not return it, and it seems that the $50 difference isn't worth the time it'll take to get it removed, packed up adequately, and get an appt for pickup with DHL. This probably sounds lazy, but I work every day, so am always running short of time. I'm shorter of time than I am of money (although pretty short of both). I am not scheduled to go to the U.S. until October.

So, I'm really just interested in closing this chapter and moving on, and if anyone can take/use the equipment, it'll be fine.
Casey67
Junior Nomad

Mood: Baja Hot

[*] posted on 6-14-2018 at 02:28 PM

I'm in the Mulege/Beaches area and would gladly take your equipment and even give you some money if necessary. I've been waiting 3 years for the service but refuse to pay $750+ for used equipment that you still have to pay $10 a month lease for. It could be up to a year more before we see actual Residential Service on Viasat2 offered officially in Mexico.

Please let me know if this is still available. Thanks!

A rose by any other name is still just rice

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.