Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Utah Intel Por Favor
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2018 at 04:46 PM
Utah Intel Por Favor

Later this summer we will be traveling from I-70 southwest toward I-15, checking out slot canyons, arches and other cool stuff along the way. While tourists are a real evil, I'd like to avoid them as much as possible (I am not afraid of driving dirt roads or using my feet or mountain bike).

Here's a Google Map of proposed locations -- dirt roads are yellow while connecting sections of pavement are red. Click on POIs for possible more info and/or photos. This map is a work in progress.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MAlzQRYPaiTHohTTxVMjul3Phd...

My question: what I am I missing along the way? Are there things on my map which should be lower-priority? Is there a fun, higher-elevation route to take west from roughly Boulder UT? What can I see in Escalante NM before The Administration bulldozes the place?

Thanks for the local intel!

Jim

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-15-2018 at 04:59 PM

That's great country,there.....I cant contribute much detail even tho I have been in there a bunch...I am not much on maps or destinations....Just wandering around semi lost is a Grand experience there....Go be disorganized, you will loveit

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-15-2018 at 05:28 PM

I only did one backpack trip there. Was great! Hiked east along escalante river cyn starting from east side of escalante town, explored tributary cyns along the way. There are probably day hike options, look at the hiking forums.
It is a bit warm for summer hiking, but there is water so no need to carry water.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2018 at 05:34 PM

We did a similar trip maybe 8 years ago, so I know what I'm getting into. Agreed: wandering lost is not a bad thing. I know temps in slot canyons are cooler, but I also need to be mindful of flash floods (Utah flash flood season: July-Sept). I'm hoping this trip will be like the last trip, on steroids.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2018 at 06:18 PM

Uncampragrey (sp) south of Grand Junction sliding onto Utah is cool...Hole in the Wall up North on the Green offers a lot...Gates of Lodore =amazing...Dang I wish I had paid more attention...No I don't....Did a lot of that country ahorseback....

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2018 at 07:30 PM

I did a big part of my research for my masters up on Boulder Mountain. essentially I camped up there for 2 months for 2 summers in the early 90s. Gret fishing, great mushroom hunting if your into that - hardly ever saw anyone while I was up there. Got pinned down by some pretty good thunder storms as well.

dirt road went right over the top - the whole length.

May have changed alot since then, but back then, when you went up there, you better have all the equipment and supplies you needed!
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-15-2018 at 08:53 PM

I spent 30+ years traversing all that country... saw what happened when the usual honyock published a book about it. Please don't publicize it....... enjoy where you go and what you do. You could spend 6 months straight just trying to see about a hunnert square miles of it (as in, 10 mi. x 10 mi.) and still miss stuff. Amazing land, have fun, take notes, go back. Please, KEEP YER MOUTH SHUT..... IT'S BEEN RUINT ENOUGH.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2018 at 09:24 PM

Love Green River. Love the melon stands. Love Ray`s Tavern. Love talking to the farmers about their melon patches. Stayed at the motel right on the river last year heading to the eclipse. In the past camped at the city park and a few times stayed there in the cheap motels. Melon days are in Sept I think.
That motel on the river is about $150. Walk across the street to the John Wesley Powell Museum!! Your ticket to the museum is good for several days. You might need them!!
Then there is the geyser south of town and the great camping north on the river. And don`t miss the rock art north of Thomson..

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2018 at 10:30 AM

Great suggestions everyone! I'll start adding some of those destinations to my map, which I'll eventually import into the truck's GPS.

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2018 at 10:32 AM

And YES to Ray's Tavern for lunch!

SteveWil
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2018 at 04:46 PM

Here are some threads from the Forest River trailer forum. Looks like you have a good handle on the area already.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f155/utah-the-grand-...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f221/heading-to-utah...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f155/grand-circle-to...
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 02:48 PM

Great information everyone, thanks! Adding more stuff to my map. Here's a few photos from the last time we went thru southern Utah.

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2018 at 11:11 AM

Thanks to everyone's intel, I added the Hell's Backbone Rd to our itinerary, plus and we will be staying one night at the Cowpuncher Guard Station, a reservable yurt in the Dixie NF. If it works out OK (which I expect), it might be worth reserving for 4-5 days and use the place as a base-camp to wander, explore.

http://tinyurl.com/y9ypwrru

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-20-2018 at 11:16 AM

A yurt!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2018 at 12:33 PM

Your trip sounds amazing. Those photos are amazing. Have fun and share photos afterwards, this is a part of the country I surely might not ever get to.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 6-20-2018 at 07:55 PM

We camped at Toroweap for 3 nights a couple of years ago. Spectacular! Also the Nampaweap petroglyph site is worth going to. When we were there we were the only visitors. It is a very nice walk from the parking area to the site which is compact but with some nice glyphs. Lovely area. I think one could spend a lifetime exploring Southern Utah.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2018 at 07:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  
We camped at Toroweap for 3 nights a couple of years ago. Spectacular! Also the Nampaweap petroglyph site is worth going to. When we were there we were the only visitors. It is a very nice walk from the parking area to the site which is compact but with some nice glyphs. Lovely area. I think one could spend a lifetime exploring Southern Utah.

Sounds great... but what about safety?
With all the violence you hear about in the United States, is my family safe traveling there? Do the local cops pull you over because you look like a tourist? ;)
[Thanks Kurt for your report]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2018 at 08:01 AM

Thanks DK...That helped....

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2018 at 08:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Thanks DK...That helped....

;):light::lol:

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2018 at 07:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Sounds great... but what about safety?
With all the violence you hear about in the United States, is my family safe traveling there? Do the local cops pull you over because you look like a tourist? ;)

Brilliant!

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.