Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mordida in Mexicali
sherdoggie

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 10:39 AM
Mordida in Mexicali

Just returned from 5 days in BOLA. Entered Mexicali 5:30 AM Monday, took 45 minutes to get FMM cards due to what looked to be an incredibly impaired Immigration official. He could barely walk to get to his computer. He had trouble seeing anything, using one finger one letter at a time to try to type. Swiped my passport at least 6 times, didn't seem to get it entered. Finally got the young (teenage) security guard to help. There, done. Now to process my friend's info. We were trailering a small boat, and not 1/2 mile from the border, we were pulled over by a single police officer. We were driving slow, maybe 25-30 mph, all other cars passing us by. He claimed we were driving too slow, which he said was illegal. OK. Told us the speed limit was 45 kph, which would be around 27 mph. My friend was driving, and was told to get out of the car. The officer said that maybe we could settle the fine so we could be on our way. My friend pulled out a $20 bill, which the officer took and pocketed. He then proceeded to frisk my friend, then handcuffed him to the seat belt of our truck. Told us that a bribe is illegal, he had it caught on his camera, and that we would be taken to the station, where minimum penalty was 3 days in jail and $500-$1000 fine. He then said he was going to call his superior (supposedly) and see what can be done. We were told we could settle the issue for $500, and the tape would be erased. We said we couldn't do that. After some uncomfortable haggling, he settled for $200. Without the threat of a tape recording, we would have insisted on paying the fine at the station. When in BOLA, another gringo party of 3 towing a boat had the exact same experience, same infraction, the MO was exactly the same. They got hit for $400. They told us that Mexicali is filled with corruption, although this was my first such experience in many trips since first going through in 1972. This type of experience has got us wondering if our Baja days are behind us. I hear Tecate is pretty bad also. Just wanted to put this out there as a warning.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 10:48 AM

HOLY SMOKES. I bet the law is that you drive as safely as you can, just like in the USA.

So, for sure don't pay the mordida anymore and insist on going to the station? Hey, this may be the perfect solution to stop corruption once and for all.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 11:01 AM

Dash cam, dash cam, dash cam.

That, and a No Sindicatura sticker should be on everyone's list of essentials for traveling here north of the border and down there.

That dash cam will be a deterrent, as it is here to unjust 'revenuers' north of the border. Once they see that and you know your are innocent, you have all the proof you need.

It is known around here, that if an officer sees that device, they will not continue with their writing of a citation unless we are genuinely guilty.

The dash cam tells no lies.

Anyone have a favorite dash cam? I am in the market for one for my van? The market is ever expanding on these truth telling recorders. They are worth every penny, if they are ever needed.

If a police officer in Baja sees that, it is almost guaranteed they will know better than to seek a mordida. We are all targets to a degree as sources for cash. Nothing new there.

A dash cam is our proof that cannot be denied. In the relatively small chance that we are guilty, we can use that to reassure the officer that we hold no grudge for his stopping us. That sentiment alone might mitigate his $ demands. Or not.

I can dream.

Happy Fathers Day to all the dads out there.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 11:14 AM
Dash Cam

Check your local COSTCO or Sam's Club
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 11:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  

That, and a No Sindicatura sticker should be on everyone's list of essentials for traveling here north of the border and down there.

That dash cam will be a deterrent, as it is here to unjust 'revenuers' north of the border. Once they see that and you know your are innocent, you have all the proof you need.

It is known around here, that if an officer sees that device, they will not continue with their writing of a citation unless we are genuinely guilty.

The dash cam tells no lies.

Anyone have a favorite dash cam? I am in the market for one for my van? The market is ever expanding on these truth telling recorders. They are worth every penny, if they are ever needed.

If a police officer in Baja sees that, it is almost guaranteed they will know better than to seek a mordida. We are all targets to a degree as sources for cash. Nothing new there.

A dash cam is our proof that cannot be denied. In the relatively small chance that we are guilty, we can use that to reassure the officer that we hold no grudge for his stopping us. That sentiment alone might mitigate his $ demands. Or not.

I can dream.

Happy Fathers Day to all the dads out there.

How do you make sure the cop and you are within view of the camera when he's shaking you down? They aren't 360 view are they?

John
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 11:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

How do you make sure the cop and you are within view of the camera when he's shaking you down? They aren't 360 view are they?

John

Wouldn't the audio recording of the encounter be the most incriminating?

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 12:05 PM

On some cameras/mounts you can swivel the camera on it's mount. I replaced the suction cup mount with a mirror mount:

https://www.amazon.com/Pruveeo-Dash-Mount-Rearview-Mirror/dp...

And most dash cams have audio recording capability

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

Wouldn't the audio recording of the encounter be the most incriminating?
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 12:14 PM

John, some do have that ability. The wide front angle of view does show the roadway and sidewalks and signal lights and stop signs.

This is a known deterrent for some of ours and yours local enforcement officers. Some have commented that once an officer sees that device, they have walked away when they know there is proof of their innocence.

As one who was unjustly targeted without a dash cam, this is now on my bucket list. Thankfully, when my court date came the officer chose to not show up. He knew he was wrong. Justice was served even though I was put through the process for no reason.

That we need such a device these days for our defense against false citations is a fact of modern life.

In the relatively small amount of cases that we might be guilty, we can use that to assure the officer that we are not debating his reason for citing us. I would think that sentiment would be appreciated by any enforcement officer, whether he is here or south of the order.

Happy Fathers Day.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 12:20 PM

Hope you learned a lesson here. Do not fall for the we can settle it here stuff. The camera should have also caught him pocketing the $20, so why fall for the rest of the BS.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 12:22 PM

Anyone tried simply holding your phone up and recording the officer as he approaches and interacts? I'd do that even if my phone doesn't have camera capabilities (simple grandpa flip-phone). Act like the whole mess is being recorded... they can't stop you from that or take your phone (I hope). May be a simple solution and deterrent.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 03:57 PM

So, where can I get one of those 'No Sindicatura' stickers? Or better yet a dozen or more!

"I'm too young to be this old!"
sherdoggie

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 04:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Hope you learned a lesson here. Do not fall for the we can settle it here stuff. The camera should have also caught him pocketing the $20, so why fall for the rest of the BS.

I actually had a brand new dash cam with me that I hadn't yet affixed. With all the drama, I hadn't even remembered that I had it. Could have at least gotten audio, since he didn't bother with me much, and I was pretty much out of his field of vision.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 04:31 PM

if you really think all this jazz is necessary, stop at the sindicatura office in ensenada and pick up a few business cards to hand off with your license. a block behind the Riviera on the south side of the river.

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 04:48 PM

Anyone give credence to the increased belligerence of the Mexican authorities proportional to the increased belligerence of the American ... ''authorities"? I do. Not a 'deep state' item, just you call us names, we don't like you. Pure and simple. Trouble a-brewin'.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 04:56 PM

your not in Kansas anymore toto. your in Mexico known to be corrupt, as well as having people dis-appeared. If your so bold as to photograph,dashcam the cop. What would prevent him from grabbing your cheap assed dashcam and stepping on it. He can then shake you down and perhaps if he takes an interest in you screw you while your handcuffed to the steering wheel. If your real lucky you get away alive with just a bruise bumhole. good luck.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 04:56 PM
Good Gone Bad

There was a day when Mordida was reasonable. TRULY, a small bite.

The system was GREAT and I loved it.

5 - 10 - 20 dollars here and there to get thing done.

THOSE were the days.
A?ejo Coca

[*] posted on 6-17-2018 at 09:37 PM

These escalations of the mordida game are worrisome.

I've had nightmares about a corrupt cop planting drugs on me and ending up in a Midnight Express scenario. :o

My dash cam swivels and get's the audio and it sounds great.

I haven't had an issue in years, but if I do I won't point the cam out to the cop until after I try to get out of it and he makes incriminating statements. Of course, he might notice the cam on his own.

I am worried they'll get smart to the dash cams and ask you to get out of the vehicle to do their dirty work.

I don't think poking a cell phone in his face is a good idea. I've heard of this peeing off some cops and it went badly.

In a pinch you could start an audio recording on your phone though. That wouldn't be intrusive.

[Edited on 6-18-2018 by A?ejo Coca]
azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2018 at 09:03 AM

Mr Bill M

Since when is a little bite ( little corruption ) a good thing?

Just leads to big bites ( big corruption)

Mexico's most urgent problem is CORRUPTION

And you have to account for inflation, so it just keeps getting bigger
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2018 at 10:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by unbob  

So, where can I get one of those 'No Sindicatura' stickers? Or better yet a dozen or more!

Mikestickers.com
uv ink fade protection
safe for vehicle paint

(just tape it on the inside of windshield and move it to vehicles used)
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2018 at 10:50 AM

Considering how a photo of a cop's face could show up on the internet, I would expect a Mexican cop would not take kindly to having a cell phone camera pointed at them.

Remember, 43 schoolkids disappeared, scores of journalists killed, crime families competing. They don't have the FBI like us. Last thing a cop needs is his face on the internet so someone recognizes him, and his family is the next target.

Not a good idea even in our homeland of TRUSSIA. I'm sure one of our cops would rip it from your hands for the same reasons. I believe I've read of it several times in various states.

John
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.