Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Buying a Used Vehicle
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2018 at 02:12 PM
Buying a Used Vehicle

In today's paper under "Hints From Heloise" a reader writes that if you want to buy a used vehicle ask the tow truck drivers. They see a lot of problems with cars (and trucks) and can tell you which are the most common complaints. Who would have thought!!!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-22-2018 at 03:03 PM

Not a bad idea, but Consumer's Report has pretty thorough statistics, even down to the systems that fail, on used cars. If they have too small a sample to consider valid, they state that.

Easier than being a tow truck chaser.

Now, CR does have bias towards really "green" cars in many cases, with respect to their "recommendations". But their repair stats are the largest, INDEPENDENT database going.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 6-22-2018 at 07:58 PM

In Germany the ADAC (equivalent of AAA) publishes one a year which cars break down most often and why. An invaluable resource. Sometimes embarrassing for the super expensive cars.

Harald Pietschmann
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2018 at 08:10 PM

I was at Walmart today and a tow truck was loading an SUV. I asked the driver about what vehicles were the worse by the numbers they pickup other than wrecks. He said the older Hyundai had lots of problems but the newer ones were much better. He said Toyota seem to be the best with less problems. Funny he was loading a Lexus SUV as we spoke.

As to Consumers Report their findings is based on what their subscribers report in a questionnaire. It may or may not be a true gauge of problems across different brands but neither would a tow truck driver. Both are just sources of info.

I don't know if dealers (and repair shops) actually report problems to a common source or who it is, maybe the government, but I think that would be an accurate data base.
GypsyJan
Nomad

Mood: "If a dog will not come to you after looking you in the face, examine your conscience." Woodrow W

[*] posted on 6-22-2018 at 08:24 PM
So, I Guess You Are Not Recommending Craigslidt?

:)
Archie
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2018 at 09:38 PM

I was recently on the market for a second vehicle for my family. It took me 6 months to find what i think it´ll suit best our needs.

I spent weeks reading in forums, watching youtube reviews and talking to owners of the two brands i found are the best positioned in this segment of the market.

Even then, after checking and comparing mpg´s, most common failures and price for repairs, i got an advice from a dude who buys cars from auction sites like Copart and sells them for a nice profit; he said that i should look in those sites the model and years of my like and see how many i could find and the condition they were after all inimaginable types of accidents.

That made me change my mind about one of the brands i thought was a good choice and narrowed my options. Actually i ended buying a car from him, a small SUV but in very nice condition and low miles and even better, a low price.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2018 at 05:43 AM

Once you find what you would like to buy, I recommend going to Hertz rent a car sales location. They sell all vehicles after 2 years, as a matter of course. Prices are honest and not negotiable. The one in East San Diego was so professional and easy for a single female (this was pre-Les).

I do like the idea of conferring with a tow truck driver.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-23-2018 at 06:47 AM

Hertz will send a vehicle to your closest rental location. Your rent it for three days to drive and if you like it and want to buy it they refund the rental fee. I got a 2011 Camry w/ 34k on it for less than Blue Book in 2013. It was serviced per the maintenance schedule at my neighbors Toyota dealership.

Thanks for that tip Blanca! It currently has 105k miles on it with regular oil changes every 10k miles and not a single repair!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-23-2018 at 09:24 AM
Here is a tip for my fellow nomads!

Never buy a used car from me! I make them go places, and do things they were not designed to do. I am pretty good about routine maintenance, but while I am scratching and dinging the body and undercarriage, my dog is helping to thrash the interior.

I usually buy them well depreciated, then drive them till they drop. My go-to road tune is "Another one bites the dust"! :biggrin:

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-23-2018 at 09:31 AM

No drips!

One thing I dig about my Toyotas is there is never any oil drips, even over 100,000 miles put on (all three of) my Tacomas and my wife's (two) Corollas (not as many miles, of course).

So, look for oil (engine, tranny, differentials, transfer cases) on the surface of any of these parts of the drivetrain.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.