Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Intro and questions
DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 6-23-2018 at 10:36 AM
Intro and questions

Hello All! Just got registered, so here's my first post.

My wife and I just closed on our place in Punta Chivato. We bought Steve Shaw's (for those that may know him)place! Lot's of planning and excitement and questions!
Long term plan is to get the place all set up for fun and adventure and spend winters there away from Idaho. But for now work is a bit in the way, so it will be more like weeks or an occasional month (if we're lucky) at atime down there.

Okay, so the reason I started in the off-roading thread is because I'm trying to put together my Baja rig. I'm a moto guy and I am looking for advice of the four wheel variety!

The truck I'm working with is a 2006 Toyota Tundra,4X4, crew cab (first gen, small body). It has 120K on the ODO.
I want to be able to go exploring in the remote stuff, but with some relative comfort also.

The plan so far is:
Race Car Dynamics (RCD) 4"-6" adjustable lift kit, set to 4".
33" BFG tires
ARB lockers front and rear.
Trailer receiver mount front and rear with a winch set up that can be swapped from front to rear.
Dual battery set up.

Any feed back would be welcome. I have the truck, so that's not open to change, but the rest of the set up is.

Let 'r rip!

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2018 at 11:25 AM

Sounds like you are squared away with your Tundra. Congrats on the new house!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-23-2018 at 11:56 AM

Welcome to Nomad!

Sounds like a good upgrade for off-roading... I would maybe wait on the front locker install as it will be really rare to need it in the front... unless you are into some serious boulder hopping and abandoned road, steep climbs. The Mission Santa Maria road, as bad as it is, can be done with just the rear locker in 4WD-LOW. Just to save some bucks...
A good air pump to refill tires will be an important and inexpensive product to have. BFGs need to drop to about 10 psi to be effective.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 6-23-2018 at 12:09 PM

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the replies! Good Advice on the front Locker I may hold off on that. I don't see us doing any major Rock hopping, LOL. Also I am not dead set on The BFG, the reason I was looking at going with those is because I figure availability is better for those in Mexico. Maybe I am wrong, what is also a good tire that I should consider?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2018 at 12:35 PM

I think your best choice in tires is more of a noise level. Some of the good off road tires are very noisy on the hwy. There are many good off road tires. BFG, Toyo, General Tire and Goodyear to name a few. If you ask 100 people what they prefer my guess is that 75% would say BFG TA KO. At present I have Toyo on my Tacoma and BFG on my GMC Z71. I like both. I had a set of Pro Comp tires from 4 Wheel Parts on my Tacoma and they were really good off road but very noisy on the hwy.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 6-23-2018 at 12:39 PM

The new BFGoodrich KM³ looks like a forbidable competitor in the mud terrain tire category. These tires should get you through the rainy, possibly muddy conditions you might encounter in the Baja back country. I ran the BFGoodrich KM² tires on my Jeep for 43,000 miles. I am selling these with about 40% tread on them currently. Mud Terrain tires tend to growl once they reach their last 1/3rd of tread no matter the brand, but they provide superior traction to All-terrain tires from start to finish. Also, with siping the KM tires work well on asphalt after rain storms, but not as good as an All Terrain in snowy/icy roads.

I purchased a new set of Falken AT3Ws for my Jeep as the BFGoodrich tires had become too noisy for daily commuting and daytrips over the local freeways. The AT3Ws will not have the same level of mud and dirt traction due to their more closed lug design, but with a soft top on my Jeep, the interior noise had become an issue for me and my wife.

As for a lift, with the Falken AT3Ws, their tires run true to size whereas the BFGoodrich tires run smaller than their competition. With a winch cradle positioned at the front of your pickup, your approach angle will be diminished somewhat versus a dedicated winch bumper. With that in mind, I would crank that adjustable lift as close to 6 inches as possible to provide the approach and departure angles you will need on trails like Mission Impossible, the Pole Line Road, and any other scenic Baja routes.

A dual battery setup will provide you the ability to have the available electricity to power a fridge like the Dometic dual zone unit (freezer and refrigerator) or an ARB (refrigerator). Don't forget a means of communication if you are remote traveling alone. Breakdowns do happen and it is smart to be prepared if a mechanical (or health event) occurs.

For airing up tires, I run a Visit double compressor unit with a 2.5 gallon air tank. But, ARB makes a fast dual compressor unit that will fit under your driver's seat that will keep it out of the elements and the air pumps filters clean from all of those dusty and silty trails you are going to encounter.

One suggestion would be an Apple iPad-based GPS unit for accurate navigation out in the wild. Have fun!

Ken

[Edited on 6-23-2018 by Ken Cooke]

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2018 at 12:45 PM

do whatever harald pietschmann suggests!:yes:
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2018 at 01:23 PM

Welcome DouglasP,
Sounds like you will have a great truck for Baja.
The most important modifications are anything to prevent theft. Every thief will see your nice truck and want it, or the parts on it. Visible deterrents, such as, blinking alarm light and Club on the steering wheel may help a little. You need multiple defenses. I like having a hidden toggle switch to cut power to the fuel pump. Locking lug nuts (don't forget the spare). The idea of your winch being portable (front to rear) is good, but hope you have figured out a way to lock it. My winches have tack welds on the mounting bolts.

ARB air lockers can be problematic. I've had air leaks and had to rebuild my compressor twice. There's an upgrade kit for braided stainless steel hose (pros and cons to that). I prefer Eaton E-Lockers (electro-magnetic engagement), but I don't believe there is an application for Tundras. Maybe worth checking with Eaton for new products.

Looks like the RCD kit comes with Bilstein 5100 shocks? Maybe RCD will upgrade your shocks to remote reservoir shocks. If you plan on pounding it over many miles of rough roads and whoops. The 5100 series should be fine for a normal pace on dirt roads. But you're a moto rider, so you just might want to go a bit faster and harder ;)

Going to 33's, you might want a lower gear ratio (higher numerically). If you are adding lockers front and rear, that's the perfect time to change gear ratios (ring & pinion sets), if you are considering that. Saves on labor to do the installations together. Do some research on what's best for your truck/transmission.

Perhaps more important than a winch, and the tool with the "best bang for the buck" is a Hi-Lift jack. Figure out a way to bolt it down securely in the bed.

In the post above, Ken I believe meant "Viair", not "Visit", compressor. You can easily add a tank to your ARB compressor for an onboard air system. Great for filling tires. Go with a bigger/more expensive ARB pump if you want to add onboard air. My 4x4 van has air couplings fore and aft. My ARB compressor is still mounted under the van. The intake hose goes through the sheet metal floor to draw clean air from the cab, preserving the piston/cylinder wall of the pump.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2018 at 05:25 PM

Welcome aboard! If you are still interested in moto (with chase), fishing or NORRA support, U2U me :bounce::bounce:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2018 at 06:41 PM

Just a note, on compressors... Unless you are doing frequent off-roading or have air tools to run... the tank and double cylinder pumps are way expensive and frankly, I can fill my 4 tires up in just a few minutes with the MV-50 portable pump that clips onto the battery terminals. It is only around $80 and will add 6 psi per min to my 32" tires (3 min per tire from 17 to 35 psi). The $300 Quick air pumps and Vairs were no faster... I even beat Ken Cooke after we were off Shell Island at the same time... Mostly I think was that Ken had to unload the back of his Rubicon TJ Jeep to just access the pump? Having a pickup bed is so great!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 6-23-2018 at 09:06 PM

Talk to Colin by the Hammerhead (Punta Cacarizo), he's very knowledgeable about these things. He built his own Class 5 or 10 and it was awesome.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 6-23-2018 at 09:10 PM

do I need to say something?

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2018 at 10:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
do I need to say something?

Maybe post your website link? I would suggest you add it as a signature to appear in all your posts, as I have some regular links in my posts.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 6-23-2018 at 11:59 PM

Regarding air compressors, I meant to say Viair (twice). Gotta love auto correct. I have the Viair Extreme kit in the back of my Jeep. It can run air tools if configured to do so. Mine simply airs my 35" tires at the end of a trail run or trip to the beach. As for speed, the tires that I tend to run are both wider and taller than the tires that David K tends to run, hence the quicker inflation times that he cited. The less expensive setup that he cited works well and is a suitable alternative if you happen to take different vehicles out and don't want to install on-board air in each rig.

For security, I run the RAVELCO system. It is impervious to thieves, but a kill switch works just as well as long as it is hidden and the thief does not see you arm and disarm it.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2018 at 06:01 AM

Ken's Jeep in Baja, Shell Island, July 4th weekend 2010

Driving the bottomless sand beach of Shell Island here is David K's Toyota Tacoma Off Road TRD and Ken Cooke's Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon.

Before letting more air out of his 6 tires is the 4WD (front and rear ARB locked) van/motorhome of edm1 (Art).

Ken and I spot Art a mile from our camp and hop in my truck to go help. We tell Art to let more air out... and steer toward the water (downhill)... which he is hesitant to do for fear of the sea swallowing his house on wheels!

If you get stuck in sand, clear away sand from in front of the tires, lower the air pressure more, and drive away with ease!

Art was so happy... he shouted out "I have floatation!"

Happy ending!

willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2018 at 07:27 AM

Suggestions... 1.carry an anchor or be prepaired to bury your spare to have something to attach the winch cable. 2.Skid plates to protect the front and gas tank. 3.Farmers hi lift jack and base. 4.Traction mats. 5. tow rope 6. if budget allows, and if you have an air tank, install mounted air jacks. 7. vhf radio. 8. tablet with gps, motion x for apple, back country nav for android. 9. impact wrench for tire change 10. for serious pre runner rides, good seats and 5 point harnesses make a huge differance in comfort.
kk6mbh

[*] posted on 6-24-2018 at 08:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willyAirstream  
Suggestions... 1.carry an anchor or be prepaired to bury your spare to have something to attach the winch cable. 2.Skid plates to protect the front and gas tank. 3.Farmers hi lift jack and base. 4.Traction mats. 5. tow rope 6. if budget allows, and if you have an air tank, install mounted air jacks. 7. vhf radio. 8. tablet with gps, motion x for apple, back country nav for android. 9. impact wrench for tire change 10. for serious pre runner rides, good seats and 5 point harnesses make a huge differance in comfort.

This and two full size shovels - one spade, one trench/post hole shovel. Your back will thank you.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2018 at 08:53 AM

You see, I have never needed a winch (or bury the spare to winch onto), or traction aids to put under the tires.. and I always wondered what happens when you drive off the short mat, track, wood plank... you are still in the sand, aren't you??? The trick is to not need to be pulled by a winch or another vehicle.

I always got out of a stuck by lowering the air pressure more... and clearing away sand from tires that spun in... sand piled in front acts like a block, and you want no resistance to moving ahead. But, the main thing is you don't want to spin your tires. Properly deflated tires will float and not dig in. LET OUT MORE AIR and drive happily on to your campsite.

willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2018 at 09:23 AM

Most racers do not have a wench, or 4 wheel drive for that matter. Mats , carpet, whatever, give you just enough momentum to drive thru the silt. Most racers have them as they save you alot of time. Granted lowering tire pressure works great, just make sure you inflate before hitting rocky roads or risk cutting the sidewall.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2018 at 10:32 AM

That is quite true Richard, for racers. I read the man here had a 4WD Tundra and wanted to do some exploring in Baja... which describes my thing well.
Edited to Tundra from Tacoma... my bad!

[Edited on 6-24-2018 by David K]

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.