Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Intro and questions
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2018 at 11:25 PM

If you want guaranteed communications (SMS) and emergency SOS look at getting an Inreach Mini. You can connect your phone via Bluetooth and use it to type the messages.

https://youtu.be/60A1NciNgps

Get two of them if you want to communicate with someone else in your group out in the middle of nowhere.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

DouglasP
Nomad

Mood: Goat hunter.

[*] posted on 7-14-2018 at 06:51 AM

Good stuff! Thank you!

Edit....just read the linked thread. Now I'm somewhat radio literate. I also will use the search function more! I believe that's what ken was getting at?! :light:

[Edited on 7-14-2018 by DouglasP]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-14-2018 at 07:55 AM

Ken is shopping for communication ideas as well. He had been trail boss on many 4x4 Baja tours, typically using CB, which is okay if everyone is within sight... not always possible in the canyons.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DouglasP
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2018 at 09:56 AM

Are bean lock wheels needed?

Bead......not bean, lol!

[Edited on 7-14-2018 by DouglasP]
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2018 at 04:33 PM

Your choices are good on you first post. With 33" tires I would not recommend bead lock rims. 33s are quite limiting for rock crawling where bead lock wheels are needed.
For getting into and out of deep soft sand, IMO you can air down enough with regular wheels and not have to got bead locks.
V6G3B7
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2018 at 05:47 PM

I posted a new thread here, somewhat, sorta related to the question ... http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=90781
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 04:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Ken is shopping for communication ideas as well. He had been trail boss on many 4x4 Baja tours, typically using CB, which is okay if everyone is within sight... not always possible in the canyons.

Saturnino Valdez of Los Viejones 4x4 Club out of Mexicali gifted me a handheld HAM radio roughly 2 years ago. I plan on getting a HAM license in order that I can use it (legally). :light:

I gravitate towards CB since all of the 4x4 runs that I have attended fall back on Citizens Band as the standard mode of communication.

DouglasP
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2018 at 10:27 AM

Update......You ready? You look ready! Coming together nicely! I so want to be Punta Chivato bound! Patience......patience.....

yota and mav.jpg - 245kB
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-16-2018 at 12:29 PM

I check this forum every day to see who is the next Nomad to make me jealous. You are the top post so far today!

If you like to use your tailgate without disconnecting the trailer, you may want to check out this jack;
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/the-ultimate-trail... (sorry, I couldn't get it to post without the request for a zip code)

I have one, and love it! I bought mine from a local trailer manufacturer, but Tractor Supply and other retailers carry them.

There is also a video that after two boring minutes, spends thirty seconds showing how it works!; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTZ2Cx5hMVU

[Edited on 8-16-2018 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Meany
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2018 at 06:51 AM

Hola DouglasP. Those are some sweet rides. Go Get'em dirty. Have Fun in Chivato.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 8-17-2018 at 09:56 AM

www.ruggedradios.com will have everything an off-roader needs.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

DouglasP
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2018 at 11:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I check this forum every day to see who is the next Nomad to make me jealous. You are the top post so far today!

[Edited on 8-16-2018 by AKgringo]

:bounce::cool: Thank you! Now I just need to get them south!
DouglasP
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2018 at 11:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Meany  
Hola DouglasP. Those are some sweet rides. Go Get'em dirty. Have Fun in Chivato.

Thanks!
It's been so stinkin' hot and smoky here in Boise, we should have gone down to El Lugar and put up with the heat there!

I like beer, better than most people.
DouglasP
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2018 at 11:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
www.ruggedradios.com will have everything an off-roader needs.

Thank you! Good link.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-18-2018 at 10:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DouglasP  
Update......You ready? You look ready! Coming together nicely! I so want to be Punta Chivato bound! Patience......patience.....

Your Toyota one of the best looking I have seen thumbs up.
DouglasP
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 05:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  

Thanks!

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 06:25 AM

I agree, nicely done! And I'm a Ford Ranger guy.

John
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 07:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

I agree, nicely done! And I'm a Ford Ranger guy.

John

Hang around this group long enough and you too will say "Oh what a Feeling" or "Let's Go Places"!

I was shopping for a Ranger 4x4 and the forum members were so heavy on Tacomas that they gave me no rest! LOL

Neal Johns, Bajaboy, jeans, Brooks, Toyota de Baja, even this site's host Doug 'BajaNomad' all had Tacoma 4x4s, and many more on the old Amigos de Baja forum (in 2000, before Nomad)! The Ford dealer wouldn't take my trade-in, so that made it easy to see what Toyota Carlsbad would do... and they were awesome...

I drove out in my first 4WD truck... and two more Tacomas would follow, now a half million miles between them a many in Baja. The only amigo of mine with a Ranger eventually sold it after breaking down in the San Pedro Martir mountains and got a Jeep, and he is happy as a clam with his Rubicon, right Ken?

Edit: forgot to include my son-in-law, who had a Ford 4x4 Ranger... made to Shell Island once and not without issues. Another time he couldn't get the 4WD to engage and had to get pulled off the beach. Got rid of the Ranger and like Ken, got a Jeep (a Patriot)... which also has issues. I hear things like, a Tacoma is too expensive... and then they are repairing or modifying their Jeeps to do what my Tacoma does off the showroom floor. How can anyone afford to not by a quality product if the 'cheap' one is always needing repairs or leaves you stranded?

[Edited on 8-19-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2018 at 08:05 AM

When giving a good review of the Tacoma it is very misleading, because the latest version being sold has the worst reviews of all similar sized trucks.
Just because they were good in the past means nothing for a new truck buyer.
The new version has good looks and and an impressive technical features, but the execution is the worst of all. Better to buy a Nissan or Chevy/GMC for reliability and road performance.
Buyer beware.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-25-2018 at 04:49 PM

On all models there is good and bad years. Old ranger 4X4 year 2000 had bad 4X4 hubs all old Toyota 4X4 the best. Hit and miss with late ones. Old Ford trucks in Baja out sell any other make. Only because it is cheaper to buy. The Older Chevy and GMC China made fuel pumps transfercase motor on top short life. Nissan Auto trans cooling lines in Rad another bad problema . They all have there problems sad to say the new Toyota has Joined.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.