Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Baja Cactus El Rosario
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-25-2018 at 11:18 AM

I did not 'have to'.
There is a point when all it does is feed the drama by those who like to distract. If you didn't see the photos of the construction at Baja Cactus I posted above, they are in my Trip Report #7 here on Nomad... October 2017.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2018 at 01:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jbcoug  
Why all the b-tching? Baja Cactus is a good place ato stay at reasonable rates. If you want to stay north or south, more power to you, but no need to knock a good business.

Must have missed the post on b-tching. Critical reviews are important esp. in light of some who embellish their recommendations.

BC is a fine place to stay and if the noise of construction isn't an issue for early risers, it's not an issue. Last time I stayed at BC, engine brakes through the night was no more bothersome than the diesel trucks parked at the gas station running their engines. Guess being tolerant of barking dogs is part and parcel for being in MX -- just not what I want when I want to sleep.

On the other hand, nothing compares to Jardines for great food next door, gardens for walks, and not a sound.

BC can handle the competition. It'll make them better.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2018 at 09:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Those books have not sold well. I wonder whose fault that is going to be?

Perhaps it's the subject matter but I think there just isn't enough 'meat' to them.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2018 at 09:26 PM

There is, and the reviews by others seem to indicate it is fulfilling . Or, you can listen to someone who has never read it or has never had a kind word to say to anything I have done.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 07:40 AM

David,

I must confess that I haven't read your book in full but I did read your excerpt in the other thread and found it interesting and fairly engaging. So I probably should read it before making any comments about it. The story about the insurrection due to the Jesuits stand on polygamy and subsequent murders by the natives followed by the crackdown by the Spanish government was interesting. To me it showed that the Jesuits were ultimately responsible for the cruelty to the Indians not the government that later enforced it. Actually both sides are guilty because both the Jesuits and the Spaniards were Europeans who looked at them in the same way (well almost). They written passage that they were against polygamy because the men were lazy and polygamy provided a system where multiple wives could do the work to compensate for it. That idea is questionable and just seems a rationalization by the author to support the Church's action, which proved it's undoing.

Interesting read. Hope all of it is as compelling.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 08:21 AM

First: Can the webmaster of this site please eliminate elinvestigator? I have yet to see one post from him that isn't insulting to someone.

Second, I purchased the Baja Missions book a couple of years back and found it very informative, especially for someone like me who is new to adventuring in Baja. When someone mentions a mission I can always look up where it is in the book!
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 09:48 AM

I agree, get rid of that guy...He needs serious long term professional help and adds nothing to this forum...at least nothing intelligent...

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 10:23 AM

I am not big on censorship, but I am in favor of deleting posts that are clearly off topic (including this one). Remember, this thread was about Baja Cactus, not David's book, JJJ, or Elinvestig8tor!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 10:34 AM

Best to ignore (no mention of, no reference to, no reply to) posters that annoy you.

So back to Baja Cactus, how much do the rooms cost?

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
bga23

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 10:57 AM

I’m planing on staying at Baja Cactus next week and I can provide an update on the construction.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 11:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Best to ignore (no mention of, no reference to, no reply to) posters that annoy you.

So back to Baja Cactus, how much do the rooms cost?

I would call them if you need to know current prices, but for around $40 this is the quality that you can expect...

Double (king) bed room (2011 photos):

Single king bed room (2017 photos):

Here is Antonio ('BajaCactus' on Nomad) and his newly acquired 4WD Isuzu for the Desert Hawks Emergency Rescue Service he operates in addition to the motel, gas station, and fire department (u.c.).
https://www.facebook.com/HalconesdelDesierto/

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 11:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
David,

I must confess that I haven't read your book in full but I did read your excerpt in the other thread and found it interesting and fairly engaging. So I probably should read it before making any comments about it. The story about the insurrection due to the Jesuits stand on polygamy and subsequent murders by the natives followed by the crackdown by the Spanish government was interesting. To me it showed that the Jesuits were ultimately responsible for the cruelty to the Indians not the government that later enforced it. Actually both sides are guilty because both the Jesuits and the Spaniards were Europeans who looked at them in the same way (well almost). They written passage that they were against polygamy because the men were lazy and polygamy provided a system where multiple wives could do the work to compensate for it. That idea is questionable and just seems a rationalization by the author to support the Church's action, which proved it's undoing.

Interesting read. Hope all of it is as compelling.

Interesting that you made the same observation as me about and the Indian lazy men, polygamy, and multiple wives. I posted something about this in the other thread and added some brief research about this subject.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 11:50 AM

Some good research info being offered up here...it's out there. Thanks for the perspectives ....for all those putting the efforts into topic. :light:

Don't believe everything you think....
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 01:23 PM

I want to be a lazy Indian with multiple wife's laying around all day scratching my nut's and drinking the local hooch....

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 06:07 PM

Move to Oxnard and get on welfare....

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 06:48 PM

:lol:

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 06:53 PM

Love Baja cactus! Rooms are always clean and at a good price. Had to deposit money into there account this year to reserve several rooms, seemed odd but everything was good on arrival! Glad we reserved rooms because there was another moto event in town and we would have been SOL... Can't wait for the new resturant, Mama's isn't what it used to be...
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2018 at 09:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Love Baja cactus! Rooms are always clean and at a good price. Had to deposit money into there account this year to reserve several rooms, seemed odd but everything was good on arrival! Glad we reserved rooms because there was another moto event in town and we would have been SOL... Can't wait for the new resturant, Mama's isn't what it used to be...

It is like an oasis of comfort, located a day's drive (400 miles) north from Mulegé or south from home and from the border about 5 hours/ 225 miles.

My wife likes just going to Baja Cactus for a weekend get-away. The town is full of nice places and people, there is a great beach to the west, and I get to visit TWO missions! LOL, what other town in Baja has two Spanish mission sites? :lol::light::cool:

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2018 at 10:14 AM

Since Mamá Espinoza took me in when I was a 13-year old homeless boy, I stay at Mama's and eat at Mamá Espinozas restaurant. I love it there. I'm loyal that way. The place is comfortable and the food is good and my sister Roli who owns Mamá Espinozas Restaurant loves me and takes good care of me when I visit. Tato and his wife Angelica run the place when my sister is not in and they are a couple of friendly people. I have lots of family in El Rosario and I love the town and its people. I have stayed at Baja Cactus once in their economical rooms by the office and found the rooms clean and comfortable.

PS: THIS IS NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR MAMA'S MOTEL OR RESTAURANT. EAT AND STAY WHERE YOU WISH. EL ROSARIO NEEDS YOUR BUSINESS AND THEY WILL SURELY APPRECIATE IT.

[Edited on 6-29-2018 by ELINVESTIG8R]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2018 at 10:35 AM

We have not had a bad meal at Mama Espinoza's, and that it is next door to Baja Cactus makes it a logical breakfast location.

Becuase I like trying other places in town, we have not eaten there on every trip. The new El Faro restaurant has been my favorite and still liking Tacos Misión (new building) (Hugo's) for lunch. Both are on the left, as you drive south.

Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.