Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Baja Cactus El Rosario
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2018 at 01:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
Quote: Originally posted by Meany  
Welp!! weather or not it is a Taj Mahol. It looks Great and It will always be a Great place to stop. It looks like Old Baja is vanishing.

old baja is alive and well, nobody wants it.....:no:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-1-2018 at 03:06 AM

I think that's sad but pretty close to right on....

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 7-1-2018 at 06:49 AM

Wow Antonio, the design is fantastic! Can't wait to the see the progress mid-October!

[Edited on 7-1-2018 by BajaMama]
azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2018 at 07:15 AM

SF&H
Any reason you are not camping at Santa Inez? I have always stayed there until recently when I started going through SF and Gonzaga to get to Hiway 1
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-3-2018 at 08:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by redhilltown  
Antonio is a great guy and one of the classiest acts I have ever met in Baja...and I have never stayed there but have helped with donations to Desert Hawks. And seeing some of the negative responses here makes me want to redouble my efforts for the next time.

Right on!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Steve in Oro Valley
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2018 at 09:34 AM
Baja Cactus new construction

Hi to all my nomad friends ..

Pardon me if this has been addressed already, but are all the rooms accessible along with the restrooms, showers and restaurant?

Or will I need to haul my wife and wheelchair the hard way?

bye,

Steve in Oro Valley

[Edited on 7-3-2018 by Steve in Oro Valley]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2018 at 09:38 AM

Antonio, if you are reading this,

I think your place is great but since you are rebuilding I would like to make a couple of suggestions dealing with the overall feeling inside the rooms: they feel too dark and cold.

1. I would have larger and if possible more windows than the rooms currently have.

2. I would not paint the wood beams and ceiling that dark wood. Even though it's a classic Spanish look they make the place feel too somber.

The images David posted don't show this because the camera adjusts to neutral gray and overexposes the natural light.

The overall dark ambiance may be welcome in the summer time when there is full bright sun but most of us travel during the other half of the year.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2018 at 09:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by azucena  
SF&H
Any reason you are not camping at Santa Inez? I have always stayed there until recently when I started going through SF and Gonzaga to get to Hiway 1

The recent murders of Americans at BOLA by thieves made me decide that camping overnight at Santa Inez is too risky. I'd say about half the times there, we were the only people. At some point, you need to decide what is safe and what isn't. No doubt the decision point differs for different people.

I'm wondering if parking overnight at the new store in Catavina might work.

[Edited on 7-3-2018 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2018 at 11:05 AM

Skipjack Joe: The lighting has been changed to LED with brighter effect.

Steve in Oro Valley: You can see the long, handicap ramp in the restaurant drawing. Not sure what you mean about the showers/restroom. They are definitely much roomier than any other motel in Baja. Some have some really hilarious spacing around the toilets!

SF&H: Really, you would camp in front of an OXXO or brightly lit market rather than out under the stars, far from the noise of a highway? The murders in Bahía de L.A. were over the theft of a resident's motorboat by some scum. It wasn't a random highway or campground killing (like the father in a tent with his two little girls, in Malibu, CA USA).

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2018 at 07:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Not sure when you were there Marc, but Antonio has nicely remodeled all the older rooms a while ago and I stayed in one last year, as the newer rooms were full. His front desk staff has always been nice, so if you get someone who is not professional, including at the gas station, please let Antonio know. The labor pool is very limited in El Rosario so he does his best with training, or tries to! Antonio's email is info (at) bajacactus.com.

You're going to defend BC no matter what anyone has to say aren't you David? You definitely have your opinions -- why not let others have their point of view as well?

If someone thinks the rooms are dark, it takes more than LED's to make things brighter.

Jardine's and The Villas in SQ are less than an hour away. Easy choice for many. For anyone wanting an evening stroll after dinner, forget El Rosario. No sidewalks, trucks/cars kicking up dust.

Still, BC is the best game in that town -- I've stayed at The Tourista after it first opened. I'd define it as a dump back then. Maybe it's changed. Doesn't matter as opinions are like ____holes.

Embellish away, DK.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2018 at 08:06 PM

I didn't disagree, they were dark... intentionally. It was too create a calm, relaxing feeling. Only the lights at the sink were bright and the fan light was adjustable. Well, people wanted it brighter none-the-less so Antonio upgraded to LED with brighter output. The TVs were also sll replaced to flat screen and Dish Network with a hundred channels or so.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2018 at 09:58 PM

Skipjack Joe: The lighting has been changed to LED with brighter effect.

LED is a poor substitute for sunlight. I appreciate the lower cost of adding LED lights to enlarging windows if they are even possible. But the heavy dark furniture, beams, and ceiling could be modified to add life to the atmosphere.

BTW, I specifically addressed my comments to ownership in case you missed it.

SF&H: Really, you would camp in front of an OXXO or brightly lit market rather than out under the stars, far from the noise of a highway? The murders in Bahía de L.A. were over the theft of a resident's motorboat by some scum. It wasn't a random highway or campground killing (like the father in a tent with his two little girls, in Malibu, CA USA).

You make a good point about the different situations. However, murder occurring anywhere is a sobering thought and people become less prone to risk taking after it happens. I do agree that parking in front of an OXXO is pretty pathetic compared to Santa Ynez. I miss old baja.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2018 at 06:03 PM

I'm thinking there is an interesting story to be told here? If yoiu are so inclined to share?

Quote: Originally posted by ELINVESTIG8R  
Since Mamá Espinoza took me in when I was a 13-year old homeless boy, I stay at Mama's and eat at Mamá Espinozas restaurant. I love it there. I'm loyal that way. The place is comfortable and the food is good and my sister Roli who owns Mamá Espinozas Restaurant loves me and takes good care of me when I visit. Tato and his wife Angelica run the place when my sister is not in and they are a couple of friendly people. I have lots of family in El Rosario and I love the town and its people. I have stayed at Baja Cactus once in their economical rooms by the office and found the rooms clean and comfortable.

PS: THIS IS NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR MAMA'S MOTEL OR RESTAURANT. EAT AND STAY WHERE YOU WISH. EL ROSARIO NEEDS YOUR BUSINESS AND THEY WILL SURELY APPRECIATE IT.

[Edited on 6-29-2018 by ELINVESTIG8R]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2018 at 08:18 PM

The TVs were also sll replaced to flat screen and Dish Network with a hundred channels or so.

Definitely a step in the right direction. Glad to read this.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2018 at 08:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
I'm thinking there is an interesting story to be told here? If yoiu are so inclined to share?

Since Mamá Espinoza took me in when I was a 13-year old homeless boy, I stay at Mama's and eat at Mamá Espinozas restaurant. I love it there. I'm loyal that way. The place is comfortable and the food is good and my sister Roli who owns Mamá Espinozas Restaurant loves me and takes good care of me when I visit. Tato and his wife Angelica run the place when my sister is not in and they are a couple of friendly people. I have lots of family in El Rosario and I love the town and its people. I have stayed at Baja Cactus once in their economical rooms by the office and found the rooms clean and comfortable.

PS: THIS IS NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR MAMA'S MOTEL OR RESTAURANT. EAT AND STAY WHERE YOU WISH. EL ROSARIO NEEDS YOUR BUSINESS AND THEY WILL SURELY APPRECIATE IT.

Here you go advrider. A little long.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=86935#pid1085...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2018 at 08:28 AM

David, that is a great story and in the Off Topic forum and as such requires a password to enter. Here are the instructions posted with the password at the end, for Nomads who have not read it before:

OFF-TOPIC
Time-limited non-Baja-related discussions. Not for the faint-of-heart. 98% of complaints about this site are in regards to what is seen by people after CHOOSING to unlock and view this forum. Stay out unless you can deal with it. You have been warned. To logout of OT, logout of BN - and then login again. Forum password: over18

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 7-5-2018 at 09:02 AM

LOL this is an overnight stop, not a resort. I have never even noticed the light in the rooms over the last decade. During the day I open the curtain, good enough for an hour in the morning to sower and get ready to go!

The WiFi needs some improvement... I am always happy to get an english speaking HBO channel to put me to sleep...
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2018 at 07:14 PM

What an awesome story! This would make a good movie or book! Thanks for taking the time to write that and for sharing and thank you for your service.

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2018 at 08:27 PM

What an awesome story! This would make a good movie or book! Thanks for taking the time to write that and for sharing and thank you for your service.

Thank you Advrider for your kind words.

David

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2018 at 09:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  

The WiFi needs some improvement... I am always happy to get an english speaking HBO channel to put me to sleep...

BTW, they have ethernet connectivity in all the rooms and that's pretty fast, especially by baja's standards. Check out the walls in the room and you'll find the ports. I usually carry my own cable with the laptop but I believe they will provide one at the desk if you ask.

I agree that the HBO channel is really nice, especially if you've stayed in baja for a while. A film in English feels so luxurious.
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.