BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Essential Tremors-any experience?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2018 at 06:55 AM
Essential Tremors-any experience?

Well, life is always throwing curve balls! Last December I noticed a slight tremor in my left hand as I ate. It happened once a day and I could never replicate the action for husband Les to see.

When we were in La Paz, I asked a doctor about it and he said to stop drinking coffee. I drink a couple drops a day in my milk, so that surely was not the problem. He said to not stress and I think I have the most stress free life in the world, so that surely was not the problem either.

Skip forward to June and I noticed the exact same elusive tremor in my right hand as I went to lift a book. Not often, but I felt the tremor.

Ran to the doctor here and asked if I had Parkinson's. He called a neurologist in Ensenada who said it probably was and suggested I take medication. If the tremors stopped, then it was Parkinson's.

Since the tremor is so infrequent, I am resisting this plan of action.

I also wrote to a friend whom I had heard started with tremors as well - she has been diagnosed with Essential Tremors. So, I read up (google is amazing) and I am thinking this is what I have.

Why? One thing I noticed is that my handwriting changed overnight without asking my permission! I wrote a note to my sister in May and I looked at my writing....and didn't even recognize it as my own. But, I did not imagine, even remotely, that this could be a sign of a disease.

Any input would be welcome. I will see a neurologist when we go to La Paz in August, but would like to know if anyone has experience with E Tremors.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-26-2018 at 10:12 AM

Blanca,
I have had occasional hand tremors over past 5 years or so....infrequent but somewhat worrisome....my nurse sister said it's part of getting older but offered a vague diagnosis the other day ....and will bring it up with my doc this week.

These days it seems that all medical practitioners have taken the same workshop on bedside manners: they lightly put their hand on your shoulder and , with a kind smile, say "It's just part of getting older."

Watch this clip and the older guy.....a possible solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtKAFxogIlE

Don't believe everything you think....
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2018 at 08:32 PM

I've had tremors come and go in my life. I had really bad tremors while recovering from valley fever. More recently I had them after more invasive surgery. Early on I too worried about it being Parkinsons but now I believe it was the body's reaction to shock and stress. I'm not saying it's always like that. I'm just writing this in order to not to jump to conclusions, particularly unhappy ones.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 11:10 AM

great point. really great point!

The doctor asked if I was stressed and I told him that I was perhaps the most lucky person on the face of the Earth. I have a wonderful life, a husband who loves me, loves his life, loves to cook (man friends openly envy me).

My passion for working with the teens feeds my whole being. Thank goodness, stress is not a factor!

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 11:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

....My passion for working with the teens feeds my whole being. Thank goodness, stress is not a factor!

Blanca,
And you do such a great job of supporting the youth of your community....your efforts and dedication are certainly to be commended :saint:

Don't believe everything you think....
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 12:07 PM

Blanca:

You have probably ruled out Parkinson's your self but let me push that farther from your mind.

First, Parkinson's tremors are usually "sided" that is all on the RH side or all on the LH Side. You mentioned that it started on one side and then the other. That is atypical of Parkinson's.

Second, Parkinson's tremors are usually seen on a "resting" hand or foot. Not one in motion.

My mom was diagnosed at 55 and lived to 75. I was her primary caregiver through most of that period. The second point is pretty important. Parkinson's is an error in nerve to brain communication. Early on she could stop the tremors by concentrating on (in her case) her right hand. It's when you are just sitting and not thinking in particular about that body part that the communication gets goofed up and the tremors show up.

Sounds like, from your description, you should be able to un-check the Parkinson's box.

Clarification - I am not a medical professional but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night

Andy
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 12:20 PM

Thanks so much for that post!

One's real life experience with a disease is so very helpful.

From what I have read, the diagnosis is quite difficult between the two and we all know that we have to be on top of what is happening to us. In health issues, I think it is imperative to be pro-active.

Come visit La Bocana

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 9-12-2018 at 10:31 PM

I have read that beta blockers like Metoprolol are given for essential tremors.
saltydoc

[*] posted on 12-21-2019 at 11:25 AM

Essential tremors are supposed to be hereditary. My grandmother had it. My father had it, and now my sister has it. At 70 so far, I seem to be spared. I had symptoms of tremors in addition to other symptoms and it turned out to be chronic Lymes disease. I was on antibiotics for a year and my symptoms resolved. The moral to this story is to see a neurologist. If you don't feel comfortable with their diagnosis, get a second opinion. In my situation it was a long journey with all kinds of doctors, before I was diagnosed properly. Good luck on your quest for the truth.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 12-21-2019 at 06:12 PM

I have an older friend that has the shakes and has had them for many years. He is now 84. It isn’t Parkinson’s

When we were checking into a hotel in Bangkok I saw him filling out his check in questions and his handwriting was pretty unreadable so I said to him “ I didn’t know you could write in Thai “?

I do hope that yours is nothing serious and it probably isn’t .

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2019 at 09:03 PM

I write in Thai too then hahahaha

My tremors are getting worse but ever so slowly.

and it is the worst when I eat. and I love to eat so this lady has become a messy eater and I couldn't care less.

Come visit La Bocana

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.