Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Punta Falsa and Bahia Tortugas
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 6-27-2018 at 05:01 PM
Punta Falsa and Bahia Tortugas

We decided after 40 years of banging around Baja to take the trek up the the tip of BCS and see it up close.
Road is paved all the way to the town of Bahia Tortugas. Paved recently so in very good condition.
Pretty boring and typical desert from Viscaino turnoff but an easy drive.
Bahia Tortugas is a compact and complete town. Pemex, auto parts store, but not a lot in the way of tourist accommodations.
After asking around we found a decent place to eat, basically just a private home with a big porch overlooking the long pier.
Limited menu, but she cooked up a really good lunch for 4 of us and it was a nice relaxed setting.
On up the road to the point, road is not paved but graded and wide. Lots of steep ups and downs and sharp turns, with some of the locals driving pretty rapidly (yeah, I know, guilty on this end as well) so keep eyes open.
We went past Punta Eugenia and pretty much to road end at Punta Falsa. Camped on the bluff looking out to Isla Cedros. Tons of kelp in the water so my attempts at fishing were pretty brief.
Just after dark a one eyed pickup truck pulled up and young guy said he was security for the area and looked sort of fierce.
Well, a cold one and a hot wrap off the grill and we were new best friends and he promised to put out the word to leave us be.
Next morning we were given a quick tour of the abalone experimental station.
Fascinating to see that they are developing "seeds" to start new abalone in the area. 7 to 10 years to maturity, a very long but sincere time and effort. I suppose patience would be an essential part of the process!!
Not a spectacular outing, but a day and a half well spent and another chapter of the Baja Book put to rest.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-27-2018 at 06:08 PM

Super fun run Dick!
I went out there last summer for the new road guide research.
Did you see the little 'city of the dead' cemetery at Tortugas?
Did you take any photos you want to show? I can help.
Mine are in this thread: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=86781

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2018 at 06:26 PM
Photos from The BajaRunner:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2018 at 06:45 PM

Good info, I'll ride out that way one of these days....
chatolj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2018 at 09:14 PM

Did I read correctly the road is now all paved from Mex 1 to Bahia Tortugas? The 20 odd miles of dirt finally got finished? Thanks for the report.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2018 at 09:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chatolj  
Did I read correctly the road is now all paved from Mex 1 to Bahia Tortugas? The 20 odd miles of dirt finally got finished? Thanks for the report.

Yes, they report all paved. Last summer, there was 15 km or 9+ miles unpaved.

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2018 at 09:59 PM

Definitely paved all the way into town
If you want to continue on the dirt road to the tip it picks up right as you enter town. Just look to the East for the line of power poles and follow them.

Pix are of our campsite on the bluff, Isla Cedros prominent on the horizon, and the lady pooch was an uninvited dinner guest. But she was well behaved and most appreciative. Next morning she was all the way back at the abalone research station, about 3 miles away. Long way to go for a dinner, but we treated her well.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 07:27 AM

That piece of pavement has been a long time coming!

Each fishing cooperative in our area of the central Pacside has a very serious "vigilancia" or security patrol which makes it safer to remote camp as they drive by every few hours on their rounds to watch for poachers.

Campers can be a bit frightened a they often drive up fast and in old pickups which can be unnerving but you did the right thing making friends with them as they are the guys who keep you and their abalone safe!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
chatolj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 09:52 AM
Road

Thanks a lot for the confirmation on the road. I’ve been waiting for them to finish it so I could tow my boat out there without tearing it up. This fall I’m hitting it!!!!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 08:36 PM

Shari, interesting comment you make about the "vigilancia"
He did say that he was "security" Well, he said it in Spanish and that was the apparent translation.
We figured it was security for the experimental station and the other fishing operations,
but your comment about security from poaching makes a lot more sense.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 09:45 PM

I had a similar experience in Punta Abreojos. Once the security guy found out that I had no intention of fishing or diving there (or equipment) it was a pleasant encounter. He also let me know that he would be checking the area a few more times that night.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 10:10 PM

sure glad they're not overly protective of their halibut fishery!;)
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 10:10 PM

So what is the deal with people with private boats that want to fish the area? Are they harassed by the locals for fishing?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-29-2018 at 06:40 AM

I probably mis-spoke about fishing, due to language issues. I am pretty sure they are only concerned with lobsters, ablone, and possibly other shell fish.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2018 at 07:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I had a similar experience in Punta Abreojos. Once the security guy found out that I had no intention of fishing or diving there (or equipment) it was a pleasant encounter. He also let me know that he would be checking the area a few more times that night.

Fishing is no problem. Lots of people fish. The last people to try spear fishing were brought in and fined. Diving is completely out.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-29-2018 at 07:59 AM

One of the reasons that this area still has an abalone fishery is because of this very successful vigilancia program which entails 24/7 monitoring of the individual cooperativas area both by boat and land patrols. They are serious about protecting their valuable resources of abalone & lobster!

They check out strange vehicles entering the area...where they go and what they do which is great for us locals as it keeps the bad guys away. They also have manned little cabins along the coast with radar to catch poachers coming by panga.

If you are camping in the area, it is nice to know that if anything happens like you get stuck or hurt, a vigilancia truck will come by at some point and can help you out.

You can usually tell who they are by the radio antennas on the top of the trucks. They are pretty bored making rounds so some food, drinks and conversation is always welcome.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2018 at 08:03 AM

That was exactly our experience
And I said we gave him a "cool one"
He actually turned down a beer, said he was on duty
Took a cold soda instead,
but he happily took a fresh wrap off the grill
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 6-29-2018 at 01:07 PM

The Eugenia casa de vigilancia sits on the point over looking the lobster grounds with radar and radio. Your camping spot is on the road they use to get to the house. 15 years and dozens of trips, they always stop to say hello.

BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 6-29-2018 at 01:59 PM
wrap?

I did not make no stinkin' wrap, my people call them quesadillas.:lol:

[Edited on 6-29-2018 by BajaVida]

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2018 at 02:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaVida  
I did not make no stinkin' wrap, my people call them quesdaillas.:lol:

your people are terrible spellers! :lol:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.