Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: TJ Dentist
coolhand
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2018 at 06:48 AM
TJ Dentist

Wife needs a root canel in a hurry. Any current recommendations?
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 6-30-2018 at 06:53 AM

Here is a thread that covered recommended Dentist's in TJ that is current.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=90506#pid1123...
I think that Washington Dental was the winner..

http://www.washingtondentalclinics.com/

[Edited on 6-30-2018 by Paco Facullo]

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-30-2018 at 08:03 AM

Do not delay treatment, if a tooth is abscessed it can go from miserable to critical rapidly! I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago, and my dentist (in Mexico) would not start treatment until after antibiotics had the infection under control.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-30-2018 at 08:32 AM

I had a root canal done in Tijuana, but this was back in 2006... the outcome was great, very professional and a fraction of the cost of what it costs here in California. A different dentist did the crown, and that took multiple trips, unfortunately. The lab sent the wrong crown for starters.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

coolhand
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2018 at 09:53 AM

Thanks guys... she is checked in at Washington Dental.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2018 at 09:59 AM

Please report back with her experience.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2018 at 10:06 PM

Hola,

a little late but gypsy jans' post "Crossing South Rosarito" KPBS TV above had a dental review that is quite impressive on the second half of the presentation. the first is about the childrens medical clinic in tijuana and the second clip is the dental clinic of one of the dentists but not related to the medical clinic that i'm aware of.

the childrens medical clinic looks like a great place to support with donations.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2018 at 09:08 AM

I use www.bajadentistry.com. My root canal cost me $240.

I chose not to use Washington Dental, because they have some bad reviews, and also take walk ins, and mine has rave reviews on Yelp.

I wanted to use a dentist that was appointments only, and mine was a referral from a friend. I've had about $15,000 worth of work done on my teeth in the past two years for about $2,500.

[Edited on 7-1-2018 by tjsue]
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2018 at 03:12 PM

Hola tjsue,

would you be kind enough to post your referral dentists info.

also, has anyone had implants done ?

costs, pain, how many trips, how long did it take and how many ?

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 03:41 PM

There are no good clinics, - there are some good dentists. It's a dentist who does the job, not the "clinic". I would only use walk-ins for urgent and/or non-critical works, like extraction or cleaning. Good dentist that works independently may charge close to 50% of the US prices.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 04:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
There are no good clinics, - there are some good dentists. It's a dentist who does the job, not the "clinic". I would only use walk-ins for urgent and/or non-critical works, like extraction or cleaning. Good dentist that works independently may charge close to 50% of the US prices.

Vary true.

Upon more research on another board I found an 80 Y/o lady that has used this dentist many times and loves him. She has been living in Rosarito and now the Playa's for a while..

Dr. José Raúl Mendiola R.
.. Paseo De Los Heroes 941 . Zona Rio, Tijuana B.C.
011-52 (664) 634-0933

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 06:56 PM

Unlike a walk-in, a clinic that works by appointments allows you to choose. Potentially can be cheaper than a one-man office because several dentists share the cost of lease, technicians etc. I haven't found a good dentist in TJ or Ensenada that works in such a clinic, - doesn't mean there aren't any.

Da Rat: when dentist is good and speaks English, you better check that that there is enough money in your bank account. Some years ago a dentist in Ensenada quoted me $6K for 3-unit implant bridge on 2 anchors, upper jaw. This would've cost 11-12K in the States. Haven't done it because he came up with another solution. Lower jaw is cheaper because there is no bone augmentation work. Yes, there are savings, but don't expect spending 1K on a work that costs 10K in the States.

[Edited on 7-3-2018 by Alm]
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 07:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BAJA.DESERT.RAT  
Hola tjsue,

would you be kind enough to post your referral dentists info.

also, has anyone had implants done ?

costs, pain, how many trips, how long did it take and how many ?

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

hey RAT check into California Implant Institute. I can't comment on cost but their clinic here in rosarito is always packed...if you don't mind students doing the work.

tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 08:03 PM

The clinic is www.bajadentistry.com. All the dentists are great, they do everything, all of them speak English, and the prices are reasonable. I know that the implants cost $1,350 each, though.

Having your teeth deep cleaned is $60 each; having a tooth pulled is $60; my root canal was $240; my crown was $275, and I had two partials made - each cost $450. When I had to have a tooth pulled a year later, my partial had to be replaced, which is why I had two of them.

[Edited on 7-3-2018 by tjsue]
GypsyJan
Nomad

Mood: "If a dog will not come to you after looking you in the face, examine your conscience." Woodrow W

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 10:45 PM
Dentists Not in TJ

Hola to All, and Thank Ypi for the Kind Remarks

I am a bit late to the discussion and I hope the lady got some good help, but here is a little bit more info about dental work.
Dr. Avila in Rosarito.
Dra, Avila in Primo Tapia (his sister/niece, I'm not clear)

Dra. Avila in Primo Tapia did a root canal on me last year, for about $150. Very, very professional and gentle hands.

I know for a fact from observation that she has U.S. clients who schedule their vacation times to drive down for appointments with her.

She doesn't do dental implants, but her uncle/whatever in Rosarito does.

High quality work.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 7-3-2018 at 09:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

I don't know about other clinics but at Washington Dental you can specify the Dentist you want to see. I have used Dr. Guerrrero for around 25 years and have confidence in him. He was one of the original 2 Dentists at the old location. A couple of root canals done by Dr. Pena and recently I have seen Dr. Buscio twice and he did very good work. The "walk in" part has not been a problem for me, I just show up first thing in the morning and have always been seen quite promptly.
V6G3B7
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 01:42 PM
Dr. Oscar Avila, DDS, Rosarito Beach

Hi.

I know that I'm a bit late on this post. But I decided to share anyway, in case, in the future, someone needs a reference for AWESOME dentistry.

http://www.avilasdentalgroup.com/Avilas_Dental_Group/Contact...

I highly recommend Dr. Oscar Avila on Blvd. Benito Juarez in Rosarito Beach (see photos below) between Gral. Guadelupe Victoria & Avenida Datil, near the north end of town, next door to Express Tire, and just south of the McDonald's. Easy parking. Secured overnight parking.

In 2009, I was down in Playas de Rosarito to buy some new tires at the Express Tire store. While I waited, I walked around a bit and saw Dr. Avila's office a few doors down. I decided to poke my head in and inquire. There was a couple from Las Vegas and a Canadian man. Both said they had been coming to Dr. Avila for many years and gave him high marks.

I decided to have a cavity filled that day. Since then, when I needed further dental work, I drove south of the border.

I paid cash due to not having dental insurance. Dr. Avila has very reasonable rates, generally 1/3 the price of procedures in the USA. I have gone here for:

* semi-annual cleanings & Xrays
* 3 fillings (~ $50)
* 4 crowns (~ $400)
* 2 root canals ( I forgot)
* for an abscess & gumline surgery, he brought in an MD surgeon colleague from Tijuana for me
* Dr. Avila has also "trimmed" off a bit of rear molar "sharp" burr (no charge & without novacaine)

Dr. Avila is USA-trained (Loma Linda University) and licensed. He is also a dental instructor, on-site.
His English is perfect. His staff speak English/Spanish, are friendly and well-qualilfied.
THIS LINK has his USA & BAJA contact information ... http://www.avilasdentalgroup.com/

He is painless: novacaine injection, procedures, post-visit. Before sticking me with the novacaine needle, he DID NOT numb my gums using the ol' Q-tip. I never felt the needle going in!

Most times he prescribes me a pain-killer, I would go down a few doors to Gusher Farmacia and have it filled ... and wind up never using the Rx. I didn't need it. For any mild discomfort, I simply take some aspirin or Tylenol. I do, however, take any BEFORE- and AFTER-procedure antibiotics (these now require an Rx in Mexico).

Dr. Avila provides three upstairs apartments --- FREE for major/overnight procedures.

Also important, there are two waiting rooms --- the usual one in front --- and then the one in back that nervous patients (which I used to be) can ask for. Arrive 30+ minutes early. They'll guide you to the back to the full liquor bar where you can serve yourself before your appointment. I'm not kidding! Below are a few photos. But be polite and don't abuse this priveledge. And don't get schnockered. Just take the edge off of your 9:00 AM appointment. The rest of the day goes so much easier when you're done and go have a taco & cerveza across the street.

Lastly, you also have several good dining locations nearby on-foot including 24-7 Oxxo where you can grab coffee & sundries. The Express Tire 50 feet away is a good place for honest, reliable vehicle service (ask for Juan/mechanic or Josue/service manager). McDonalds is 3 blocks away. Many great little taco stands and eateries within a few feet. Gusher Farmacia, also. They have a 30% discount just for asking --- but bring a passport-size photo to create an ID card. You save on ALL meds this way, Rx or not.

Now go and get those choppers taken care of. And relax. Visiting Avila Dental Group is actually a pleasant dental experience.

And, no, this is not a paid promotion.

[Edited on 7-16-2018 by V6G3B7]

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 02:27 PM

Thanks for the post!

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
V6G3B7
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 02:33 PM

You're welcome. It took me waaaaaaaaaaay too many hours to get the images and text composed and posted. But, in the end, I feel so strongly about Dr. Avila and his staff, and that I have a good relationship with him/staff, and that I was able to photo-document multiple visits there, that I felt it was worth the time to put a really good post/recommendation together for some very awesome Mexican people south of the border. First Class!

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Thanks for the post!
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 04:31 PM

hola V6G3B7,

thank you for your post and recommendation as i am in need of dental work.

would it be helpful to name drop ? what is your name in the event and if you wish.

also, is there info on how to make an appointment and where should i stay if i arrive a day earlier, just in case of traffic and navigating problems ? i am very navigationally impaired.

i thank you in advance,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.