Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: BFG
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-30-2018 at 08:05 AM
BFG

Has anyone used BFG At 295x75x16 33in on light pick up. My concern is it is e rated.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 6-30-2018 at 08:42 AM

Kendra has them on her ram 1500. No problems at all. Last a long time too.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-30-2018 at 07:26 PM

I have been running 285 BFG's All Terrain tires on 8 inch wide 16" rims on my F-250 in Baja for decades, E rated, and I love them. I normally run them at 35 lbs on the highway (55 if heavy loaded), and ran them at 20lbs in the sand, rocks, and on the beach. Just put a brand new set on my truck last week (after a blowout on the freeway----tires were 11 years old).
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2018 at 03:48 PM

Baja, not sure what you classify as a light pick up but I am running 265/75/17 E rated tires on my Tacoma and have been for 10k miles with not issues (run them at 35-45). Not sure what your concern with e rated tires are, but I specifically purchased them because they are 10 ply. Ran them on my last Tacoma for 74k miles and loved them on that truck too. If you are concerned about a stiff ride I haven't noticed a difference. If you are concerned about running them below the recommended max pressure I also did not experience any issues because I was operating well below the rated weight capacity of the tire.
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2018 at 05:46 PM

Have them on my Bronco, and they are great! haven't had to air down with then ever, they are a very good wearing tire.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2018 at 07:59 PM

Ok I was asking because my Mex Nissan diesel is a light truck. Living in Baja it sees more dirt then Highway. We have real bad washboard roads here as you guys know. Since 2014 I have been using P 265/75/16 AT on road I use 26psi off road 18psi. Now with the 3in lift and other susp mods. I want to use 285/75/16 or if they fit 295/75/16 Bfgs AT there all e rated. So E rated tire has stronger side walls wondering I will be Ok also on road at 26psi.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2018 at 08:25 PM

In a lightly loaded truck I don't think 26 lbs is unreasonable. I don't anticipate you having any trouble based on my experience.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2018 at 10:04 PM

Thank you the most heavy loads are only 2 dirt bikes and gear. I don't even go over 26psi with the Motos. At 32psi rides way to hard with no load.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 06:54 AM

My high-tech rule of thumb is after running down the highway for a while, I stop and feel how hot the tires are. If only warm then no problem. If very hot to the touch, then put more air in them.
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 07:46 PM

Baja,

I can only speak to my experience, but I usually run my tires at 35ish (in reality anywhere between 30 and 35) and have never had a problem in my Tacoma and like I said, 74k miles on my last tacoma with no issues. I only run 45 when towing my tent trailer. Always E rated
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 08:16 PM

I understand you but at 30/35 my truck drives way too stiff on Baja highway. At 26psi drives and rides good there is thing called over tiring a truck. That is what I'm doing as it is way less money to run tall tires on my pick up. Then re gear both diffs this crazy truck has 4.62 diffs with a diesel. My other choice is 33x12.50 but cant find a C rated 16in. So I will report when I know what fits 285 or 295 BFGs. I off road the truck a lot did the pole line run with the guys in 2015 I think. The P rated ATs worked great no sidewall flats. As I understand all BFGs have 3 ply side wall. If so like you say should be fine.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 08:21 PM

Don't forget the E rating is a ply rating not the actual number of plies. The BFG AT KO and KO2 on my GMC have 6 actual plies in the tread and 3 in the sidewall with an E rating.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2018 at 07:18 AM

Been using BFG AT in the 295x75x16 size on my F350 for many years. Sure is a softer ride than the E rated stock tires. Turns out stock vs the BFG have exactly the same load rating, but the C rated BFG uses lower pressure to get to that rating. After weighing the front and back for unloaded and loaded. I called an engineer at BFG and got the pressure vs load so I could choose the correct pressure.
The other advantages of my BFG tire is a better than stock traction for most all off road conditions and very nice tire mileage.
Stock 7.5" rims and always even tire wear.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2018 at 07:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Been using BFG AT in the 295x75x16 size on my F350 for many years. Sure is a softer ride than the E rated stock tires. Turns out stock vs the BFG have exactly the same load rating, but the C rated BFG uses lower pressure to get to that rating. After weighing the front and back for unloaded and loaded. I called an engineer at BFG and got the pressure vs load so I could choose the correct pressure.
The other advantages of my BFG tire is a better than stock traction for most all off road conditions and very nice tire mileage.
Stock 7.5" rims and always even tire wear.
Thank you Paul only thing is info with BFGs on F350 truck not related to my little truck. I agree with you total on my heavy Dodge 4x4 diesel the BFGs 315x75X16 ride plush over stock 80max psi tires came stock. The 315s on the Dodge are D rated they work great. On my Off road Toyota pre runner 35X12.50X15 C rides super plush. On my Bronco 33X12.50X15 again Plush. So as TMW stated with 3 ply sidewall I'm hoping for nice plush ride on the little Nissan. This truck is little smaller then Old type 01 to 04 Tacoma. Even as it is Crew Cab about same length as old cab and half Tacoma and but more narrow. As you guys know a 33in tire many times are not 33in. I have seen them at only 32in or less. The BFG 295 is a ture 33in. Thank you guys all for input welcomed.:)
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 7-4-2018 at 02:09 PM

The BFGs that I have run on my Jeep (33" KMs, 35" KOs, 35" KM²s) we're all smooth - in particular the 35" KOs and KM²s. The Falken AT3Ws ride much more smoothly Larry. The Falkens are taller as well. The BFGs are probably easier to source in Baja.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-4-2018 at 02:25 PM

It is all load related! If you are running a heavy rig, E rated tires are the safer, more efficient tire at a higher pressure. A larger, softer, C rated tire will be a better ride within it's load carrying capacity.

It isn't important to most Nomads, but I spend a lot of time on icy roads, and the C range tires have always seemed to grip better for me.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2018 at 08:43 PM

That's correct problem very few 16in 33x12.50s most are not a full 33in tall tire. I have seen some 33X12.50s only 32in tall.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 7-4-2018 at 10:40 PM

If you want a full 33" overall diameter, why not fudge an extra ¾" and go with the 315x12.5r16 size? You will gain better flotation and traction.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2018 at 06:46 AM

Be informed
Tire revs per mile and resulting diameter at load vary quite a bit from company to company. Making the tire undersized according to the tire label means more profit if the tire is undersized. Turns out tires that have been in production for many years tent to have diameter closer to the tire label??? Example BFG AT TA in the 33 & 35" Size. Other models not so accurate.
All the tire companies have spec sheets and the show Rev/Mile (RPM) at a specific load. A 33" tire would have 611RPM, and a 35" tire would have a 576RPM. Check the specs before buying regardless of the label on the tire.
Formula: Real Tire diameter = 20168.1144/RPM
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2018 at 07:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
If you want a full 33" overall diameter, why not fudge an extra ¾" and go with the 315x12.5r16 size? You will gain better flotation and traction.
Ken I have 315x75x16 on my ton diesel they mesure over half worn out just over 34in. They are D rated better then E for my use, NO way will fit on the baby truck. I just did a custom one off body lift 3in. I made all hand made brackets end less parts. Cutting drilling welding custom fab two weeks work not done yet. Even had to make custom box on top of engine for inner cooler to seal on hood scoop. The tire I would love BFG 295x75x16 but C rated. I found some other tires D rated . I will post think what you guys think. All replies welcome thank you. I for got All susp is from AU 3in rear/front 2in. I could adjust to 3in in front but when loaded with bikes. Then head lights too far out of wack.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.