Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6
Author: Subject: BFG
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-5-2018 at 08:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Be informed
Tire revs per mile and resulting diameter at load vary quite a bit from company to company. Making the tire undersized according to the tire label means more profit if the tire is undersized. Turns out tires that have been in production for many years tent to have diameter closer to the tire label??? Example BFG AT TA in the 33 & 35" Size. Other models not so accurate.
All the tire companies have spec sheets and the show Rev/Mile (RPM) at a specific load. A 33" tire would have 611RPM, and a 35" tire would have a 576RPM. Check the specs before buying regardless of the label on the tire.
Formula: Real Tire diameter = 20168.1144/RPM
Thank you Paul Your correct every word. That is why my choice is so far two tires but don't like e rating. BFG 285x75x16 it is 32.8. The BFG 295X75X16 I remember 33.3 that is true size of tire. As far as RPM V tire size. With 4.62 Diffs the little diesel by mistake you can take off in second gear Or shift from 3rd gear to 5th gear.It does not care of 4x4 low range climb a wall never put foot on pedal it just goes. It has 265/75/16 Actual size 31.5. A ture 33in tire will only change it few hundred rpms. Only complaint when driving in CA freeway. I keep it at 75 it is 2800 rpm too much even that red line is 4,800 rpm. So if the tires can drop RPM to 2600 or less I would be more then happy. The small Diesel has big time grunt. So no worry 33in tire bog in down. I'm sure you guys remember. It pulled a 5,000 pound Bronco past 50 miles of deep sand. It did it with ease So any one knows another brand AT ture 33in X16 C rated let me know. Thanks all great advice.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-5-2018 at 08:17 AM

265/75-16 are what I run on my Tacoma. It came with 265/70-16 but the 75 aspect ratio tire fits without any rub and adds 1/2" more ground clearance as it is 1" taller in diameter than the stock size.

Most on Tacoma World with the same model truck typically go to the 75 series. Of interest, the 75 series tires also make the speedometer read correctly, as it is intentionally set to read a couple MPH faster than you really are going. However, the odometer is now 2.5% slow.

:light::biggrin::cool:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2018 at 08:37 AM

Tire width is an issue for the smaller trucks Tall tires usually are much wider require either spacers or new rims.
Looking quickly at the BFG spec chart for the AT tire. Here are some choices:

LT275 70R16D 30.24" & 11" wide
LT285 75R16E 31.8" & 11.3" wide
LT295 70R16E 32.37" & 11.6" wide
New rims could be a solution for tall and skinny ?
LT33 10.5 R15C 31.5" & 10.6" wide
LT34 10.5R17D 32.48" & 10.6 wide

Look at other brands and get new results.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2018 at 07:51 AM

Paul I think you have some wrong numbers. BFG AT 285 75 16 is 32.8 the 295 75 16 33.3 this is actual size. The perfect size I found 33 10.50 16 full 33in HAAAA but it is a rock crawler tire. The best deal on tires for me always 4wheel drive wholesale. If I decide on 285 or 295 I will call them up first. Ask If they can mount just one 295 on front axel to check fitment. If I then determine it fits reinstall my 265 75 tire. Put the 4 new tires in back the truck. Dump them at friends house in Chula Vista. He also has home in Otay. He will bring them across one at a time. Then I pick them up. Have them mounted balanced in Baja. All this because I have buyer for few hundred bucks for tires on truck. If they see used tire they do not let you cross border. If they see new tire about 18.00 bucks tax. He crosses late at night always gets lucky. I will check in Ensenada on tires also. I don't think I can get a good price there. Few years back They wanted double for BFGs.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2018 at 08:26 AM

For me I buy my tires at a tire shop in San Felipe.
Price came out a few percent less than Tirerack, but no charge for balance, mounting, shipping etc. BFG KM2s and I got them 2 days after ordering them. The guy even has Cooper tires in stock for less $. This all happens due the favorable dollar/peso rate.
KM2s work fine on the highway with more noise than the TAs. You would like TAs best.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 7-6-2018 at 01:45 PM
B. F. G.

I just put a New set on my Wrangler.I purchased then at Costco In Ensenada. As I live there that's where I shop most of the time. the difference in price is not that great if any As a rule I usually run Cooper Tires and was worried about road noise from the BFG but so far the noise isn't really that noticeable.

[Edited on 7-6-2018 by J.P.]
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 7-6-2018 at 10:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by J.P.  
I just put a New set on my Wrangler.I purchased then at Costco In Ensenada. As I live there that's where I shop most of the time. the difference in price is not that great if any As a rule I usually run Cooper Tires and was worried about road noise from the BFG but so far the noise isn't really that noticeable.

[Edited on 7-6-2018 by J.P.]

The noise came after about 25,000 miles (not sure tread depth) on the KM²s. With 42,000 miles, the noise is apparent, but these tires outlasted my radial TrXus MTs, and about double my TSL-SXs. BFGs have a lot less visual appeal and traction benefits than an Interco tire, but are more streetable.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2018 at 07:51 AM

All Coso stores Mex or USA I found way over priced then 4wheel wholesaler. Only problem like I said is to see what dealer. Will have both Tires 285 and 295 to mount on one front wheel . To check fitment I have been working on truck . Now close to two weeks 2.5in lift rear Front Adjustable 1.5 to 2.5in susp . This still would not clear 285 or 295 tire. So custom 3in body lift. Hand made relocate power steering Res/ Bumpers/ Trailer hitch/wires/fuel lines/ brake lines/Air box/Rad 3in drop/Longer cab/box bolts/Custom inner fender wells/ inner cooler ext to air scoop/ custom fitted 3in round running boards. Maybe hundred thing I forgot. I should of just bought Eds Jeep. Will post picture when done. The truck will be gift to the Lady on Vacation out of the country.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 7-7-2018 at 09:13 AM

Larry - if you are pricing your tires, don't forget about Discount Tire. There are several locations in the San Diego area. If Discount shares the same practice as their cousin America's Tire, they will rotate and balance your tires for life. Here is their southernmost location in the San Diego area:

Discount Tire
2242 Palm Ave, San Diego, CA 92154
(619) 429-1378

https://goo.gl/maps/5keF6VrTQE42

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-7-2018 at 09:17 AM

Discount is where I have been getting my Hankook Dynapros. Flats fixed free, rotation free, and if they were fixed in Mexico by me with a plug or a tire shop with a patch, they replace the tire with a $20 road hazard warranty. So far, all 4 tires have been replaced at least once.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 7-7-2018 at 03:40 PM
Tires

We have a Suburban 4x4 that we use most of the time and I have always ran Cooper A.T.R . tires on it never had a issue with the tires or service At Discount tires I like the Wrangler but its too small for our 100 lb. German Shepard and all the stuff Depending on the destination we tow the Wrangler.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2018 at 09:54 PM

I will check tire shops but going back to SD for free bal or tire patching . Out of the question. Hell tire patching here is 1.00 dollar. I will Ck if copper makes a 295 tire . Thank you
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 08:31 PM

Still has little 265 75 16 tires.

thumbnailFX9H54RL  Nissan lift.jpg - 155kB thumbnailNS50ONZK  Inner cooler lift.jpg - 198kB thumbnailL3EH2AF9  nissan lift.jpg - 151kB
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2018 at 07:46 AM

thumbnail front Nissan.jpg - 193kB thumbnail Nissan rear.jpg - 164kB
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2018 at 08:27 AM

thumbnail   Nissan.jpg - 109kB The only fitment problems if any) would be on back side front wheel well. To mount the 265s. I had to remove pinch weld bottom for 4in and re weld. Install flat mud flap over stock one. Also cut bottom corner plastic bumper cover relocate bumper stay. All of this only 1 hour job. So if the 295 get to close to bumper cover easy fix. As far as Front rear wheel well not so easy if contact bottom of fire wall should .Be able to use BFH big hammer dent back. As you can see it if mud flap hit remove if wheel flair contacts. Trim job
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 7-9-2018 at 08:33 AM

Nice truck BTR:D

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2018 at 05:14 PM

Thank you as far as I know a Frontier Diesel does not exist in Baja. The truck was a NP300 I converted to frontier. None in the states I'm not a fan of sport bars in back of trucks. In this case had to do it to make it look like Mexican Frontier. Also it helped the back widow from getting busted out. With my 700KFX in back. If I can get the 295s to fit the truck had tiny 15s on it. So with total lift now over stock with 265 16s its at least 6in up over stock.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2018 at 05:44 PM

When you turn the wheel full how much clearance do you have from rubbing? When I ran LT265/75R16 BFG AT KOs on my 04 Tacoma they would rub in the front on the frame. The Pro-Comps didn't but the Toyos on it now slightly rub at full turn. I never had a problem because when it would start to rub I would back off a little.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2018 at 09:13 PM

I will check that out. When the truck was new I put the Toyota after market wheels on and 265 75 16 it had small 15in on it. Nightmare the lug studs where not long enough in front or back. Because of hub set up I was able to put the longer rear studs in front disk hubs. Then I got full thread. the rear Axels I got longer studs from who knows what no matter they work. I only had the torsion bars turned up 1 1/4. Had to cut bottom of plastic bumper you cant see the cut. Remove front bulky mud flap cut 4in strip of fire wall pinch weld. Welded flat plate and put thin mud flap on front. So now it has a 3in body lift also torsion bars cranked 2.5in over stock. So yes TMW I will check how much room with wheel turned. If slight rub I'm retired Auto body man over 45 years .I will figure what to do. My tires now are Toyos they have been great but only 24,000K have worn out. When we gonna Wheel TMW
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2018 at 03:39 PM

Looks like about 2in clearance. The tire at about 1/4 to less then half turn the most close. It is 2in inside fender flare so easy t trim. Every where else OK. What I need is a old one to Ck fitment.

thumbnail   rt front.jpg - 184kB
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.