Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: all around kayak
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-30-2018 at 10:06 PM

Any inflatable boat that requires a motor is a PITA, if it is not on a trailer.

And then there are the limitations and maintenance issues of a trailer..........

I like the plastic, sit on top kayaks. If they have been damaged by sun, it will be apparent.

I've seen people use carpet runners with a rubber backing on the rear of their vehicle, especially if it is an SUV or a sedan/coupe. The kayak can be slid along the rug surface from the back of the vehicle by one person until it is on the rack on the roof.

But for a camper, one should probably investigate the inflatable Sea Eagles or other brands, if you are not willing to tow a utility trailer that can accommodate a rigid kayak.
bike4mee
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2018 at 07:08 AM

Hey
thanks for the response. I have kayaked the grand canyon many times in the past. now that I'm retired I like nomading Baja in the winter in my pop up camper on the back of my tundra. Kayaking is the way for me. There are so many plastic boats out there these days. I think a 10'+ sit in type that has a spray skirt will work for short overnights out to islands and can paddle troll along while getting there. Will check out some of the other forums as to fishing with kayaks. thanks
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-1-2018 at 07:31 AM

Way to go, DK!

I have been on this forum for quite a long time and had no idea such a thread even existed. As a matter of fact, I have bought and sold three kayaks (now on my 4th. kayak...a Hobie Tandem Island).

Thanks!

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Right here: http://forums.bajanomad.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 7-1-2018 at 09:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
pass on the Tupperwear and get a smaller inflatable!;)

Another alternative would be a foldable kayak
https://long-haul-folding-kayaks.myshopify.com/collections/b...

Not cheap, but consider that this is labor-intensive product, many parts, and it's made in the US. Not some Chinese vinyl. You can take it apart for storage and traveling. I used to check it in air luggage, 2 bags - when owned it. Takes half an hour to assemble if you're not in a hurry, but most people choose to keep it assembled and car-top.

28" beam, not very wide, but it's darn stable with rounded sides because of interior sponsons. Heavier and slower than narrow 24" sea kayak, still way faster than a typical sit-on-top fishing kayak. 50" long c-ckpit. Germans used to make a very similar Klepper. If you choose the "folding" route, people at http://foldingkayaks.org/phpBB/ forum will be happy to provide tips, do's and don'ts etc. Note that some brands listed on the forum are no longer in production.

I never tried a sit-on-top, but they seem to serve the purpose of fishing better than sea kayaks and are better to paddle (or pedal), legs are stronger than hands. Rod-holders and many other features and add-ons developed for this type of boat with fishing in mind. Capsizing in one would be very difficult in any but very bad weather - which can happen in Baja on a very short notice.

Inflatable bagels are only good on a small lake. They are not for paddling, you'll need a 2-4 HP motor, and it won't do much against 12-15-knot wind. But then, even a 20HP motor on a real boat won't help when heavy Western blows on Sea of Cortez - and it's always sudden.

[Edited on 7-1-2018 by Alm]

Kleppers; Burma 1999. These two seaters pack into either two or three bags . I have taken mine by air everywhere. One hour (or three beers) to assemble. Bags go into the back or on top easy. Good for fishing.
I had a Perception kayak sit on top in Baja. Heavy and slow but great for fishing and snorkeling.

[Edited on 7-1-2018 by Marc]
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2018 at 01:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by imlost  
Since you're planning to fish from it, I'd go with a Hobie with a Mirage Drive. Lets your legs do the work, and your hands can be free to handle a rod/reel.

Bingo! Hands free fishing. I can peddle alot faster than I could ever paddle.
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2018 at 08:06 AM

Hobie with Mirage. Outback model. Stable, easy to troll peddling. Only drawback is weight, but its not a deal breaker.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.