Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: things we bring back from baja
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-6-2018 at 09:02 PM
I once knew a Guy ...................

.................... Who imported a Chica from Baja. Although (technically) she was delivered to him on the U.S. side.

Other than shells by the case which I usually gave away to friends and co-workers, I mostly settled for liquor until one Holiday weekend when U.S. Customs made my life miserable for a few hours over what they considered an unreasonable excess and a bad attitude.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2018 at 05:16 AM

We thought about bringing back this fella, but put him back. I kept one before and it looked pretty drab after drying up.

starfish1.jpeg - 108kB
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2018 at 08:07 AM

My favorite souvenir is a grey whale vertebra I found on the beach. It's been on my fireplace mantel ever since!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2018 at 08:07 AM

I like to bring back large granite rocks for my garden, clean granite sand from arroyos for planting bulbs. Olive oil from LA Cetto winery. A friend I used to travel to Baja with made me this El Marmol onyx lamp. It has 2 small bulbs inside.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-7-2018 at 08:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
I always bring back two bottles of Controy, the "Licor de Naranj" in the green bottle used to make Margaritas. Can't find it in the US any more and there is not a really good substitute.

Controy is the inexpensive imposter of Cointreau but is sweeter.
Triple Sec is another orange liqueur....:light:

Some say Damiana Liqueur is the true mixer, from the region around La Paz. The bottle looks like a pregnant woman since damiana is an aphrodisiac.

From http://www.damiana.net/ :

ABOUT DAMIANA LIQUEUR
Damiana Liqueur is a light herbal-based liqueur from Mexico. It’s made with the damiana herb that grows in Baja California, Mexico. It has great mixability and tastes great as a shooter. The bottle is uniquely shaped and is modeled after an Incan Goddess. The Damiana Margarita is very popular in the Los Cabos area of Mexico and Mexican margarita folklore says that the very first margarita ever made was made with Damiana Liqueur (not that silly French liqueur).

[Edited on 7-7-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 7-7-2018 at 08:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
I always bring back two bottles of Controy, the "Licor de Naranj" in the green bottle used to make Margaritas. Can't find it in the US any more and there is not a really good substitute.

Controy is the inexpensive imposter of Cointreau but is sweeter.
Triple Sec is another orange liqueur....:light:

Correct, however the French Cointreau is about 3 X the price of Controy and I have done a side be side and like the Mexican product better. You do need a little sweetness to partially counteract the lime juice. Triple Sec is my last chance substitute if I run out of Controy.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2018 at 08:39 AM

Try the Damiana, it is sweet.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2018 at 09:35 AM

I love the 'What on Earth?" expression on people's faces when they see this on my wall.

Found it on a beach near Santa Rosalillita.

Inspired by Pauline's collection of odds and ends.

shark-on-wall2.jpg - 173kB
BajaGlenn
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 7-7-2018 at 10:22 AM

Three dogs at different times over the years the last one died yesterday-all strays!!!
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-7-2018 at 04:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Try the Damiana, it is sweet.

Damiana is an herb that looks almost identical to oregano that (both) grow wild all over the south cape. The liqueur made with the 'preggo' nekkid woman bottle is said to have aphrodisiacal qualities... the local brujas and homeopathic pharmacies sell the herb for tea kind of ''under-the-table" kind of thing, goes back to indan folklore. My last visit to south cape I picked a bunch of both fresh damiana and oregano, put 'em in a half-pint spice rack bottle on the wall. When I returned stateside it dawned on me how much BOTH looked just like mota. Every checkpoint from Cabo to la frontera never noticed a thing; I coulda faced mucho hassles from it, but oh well, so the story goes.

On another note, the first bottle of Damiana liqueur I bought I shared with an elderly couple at La Perla camping... of course, las mujeres loved it (sweet fru-fru sipper). The next morning the Ol' Man told me, "what the hell is in that stuff? We got home and the Ol' Lady attacked me like she did 20 years ago! .... I gotta git me some of that stuff!!!"

:cool: Heeeeeee !! :lol:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2018 at 07:03 PM

:bounce::light::bounce::cool:

jack
Nomad

Mood: Eat Heavy

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 03:34 PM

Two years ago my wife had a box of sea shells she was bringing home, the US Border Guard at Tecate confiscated them all. The year before the same Border Guard told us we could take shells home as long as they were not coral or abalone. I mentioned this to her and she said now you can't take any.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 04:58 PM

Bring home? Dirty chones.

Just kidding, who wears chones in the southlands?

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2018 at 12:32 PM

This guy hangs out with me at the office -- I found him on the beach at the southern end of Bahía Concepción.

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 7-11-2018 at 12:59 PM

after many a night at Paris de Noche.....

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 7-11-2018 at 01:15 PM

Surfing monkeys!

rancho guillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2018 at 02:21 PM

Love all the reply's...the empty wallet made me laugh hard.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2018 at 04:44 PM

Oh, I know what the door prizes at the next Baja Bound party will be! LOL

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-11-2018 at 05:10 PM
DK... If that is what it looks like I would not post the pic

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
Bunch of fish, kitten, arrowhead, whale bone, body, meds, just the normal stuff.

:lol::lol::lol:

Elizabeth insisted this come home with us...

I put it in the back of my truck in plain view of customs and it is now by our fireplace, along with another from the same trip. June 2007.

Looks a lot like a whale vertebrae to me
Not so legal to haul across, from my investigations
That is why you will never see a photo of the whale rib that may or may not be somewhere on my property in Central Cal.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2018 at 05:27 PM

LOL...
Don't tell any judge about this!

Seriously, these bleached bones lay about in the sand on Shell Island sometimes. I posted this photo in a trip report and it has been on my website now for many years.

The bone is like a seashell, the critter has died, and it is just the skeleton. It will slowly be ground down over time.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.